TJ's Office Solana - Better pics 09/25/09

TJ_Burton

Well, I managed to get a Solana in my office. Here are the plans:

- Convert middle chamber into fuge

- Run everything else stock

- Switch Disco Halide to 4x or 6x HOT5

- Soft/LPS reef

- Very few fish to cut down bioload

I am also considering making my own rock structure from cement and aragonite/crushed coral. This would take a while to seed, but I am sure it would be worth it to have a completely customized one piece rock. It should allow for some pretty cool aquascaping.

Not sure what else I can say about it at this point other then I have a lot of planning to do!!!

Here are some pics of it behind my desk.

EmptySolanaAngle.jpg

EmptySolanaSide.jpg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you should find an actual disco ball, hollow it out and use it as a cover for the light. That would be so funny. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this tank.

Tagging along! Your other tank is awesome so I am sure this one will be to. Can you post pics of mods you do? I just ordered one and am curious to see what others do!

I think you should find an actual disco ball, hollow it out and use it as a cover for the light. That would be so funny. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this tank.

That would like quite comical! :P

Tagging along! Your other tank is awesome so I am sure this one will be to. Can you post pics of mods you do? I just ordered one and am curious to see what others do!

The only mod I plan on doing is using the middle media chamber as refugium. Other then that I don't want to mess with it too much.

looking good

Right now it just looks empty to me!

But thank you :)

awesome! i will be following this thread :)

Yay! TJ Fan Club! lol Just kidding. I have actually been looking at your thread too ;)

Sweet, cant wait to see it!

Me either to be honest! Now I will have a tank at work, so I won't have to miss my tank at home while I am away from it :) I also have somewhere to grow out frags now too!!!

:) what you gonna do with the disco ball when you switch out lights?

I think I may actually keep it for now, see how it performs with the corals (it has sub-par reflector in my opinion, it is not even polished) and upgrade later. I am very interested in how well Current-USA has built/planned out this tank, and I want to test it's stock abilities before any upgrades are made (other then the fuge mod).

So far the only powerhead I am going to use is a Koralia Nano on the left hand side about mid way down the tank. I actually have it on the the back panel because the magnet was small enough to tuck down inside the overflow chamber. It doesn't obstruct the path much at all since it is so low profile, so it shouldn't cause any problems, and this way the side panels are kept clean and open for viewing.

I plan for the rock work to be a central pillar with shelfs to place corals. The sand bed is going to sport some nice LPS (mostly brains and plate corals) and for the most part will be left open and spacious looking. I want a lot of space around the rock work for flow, to prevent detritus from settling, as well as to provide a constant soft current around the corals. This will also allow a lot of space for corals to grow. This rock work will mean I will surely have less then 1lb/gallon, however, I do not plan to put much in the way of fish or other heavy bioload members. This tank is primarily to display corals, secondarily display inverts, and fish are tertiary.

There won't be much in the way of pics until end of next week (when I plan to get the rock). So this is probably the last update till then.

Well, I figured I wanted to get this down on paper anyways, so here is the sort of look I am going for with the rock work.

Feel free to comment. Feedback is always welcome! I don't always see problems before they happen so I truly appreciate a critical eye.

post-7376-1211038584_thumb.jpg

yea. i personally like the disco ball :P . if i felt that the refelctor wasn't doing its job, i would just switch out the reflector. why spend extra when you dont need to? my pc is being annoying and not loading pictures so i cant say anything about the rockwork... and i see you took the motto "if it ain't broke don't fix it". i would also just check out performance of the stock system :) so i guess you are doing pretty much everything i would do with a new tank ;)

yea. i personally like the disco ball :P . if i felt that the refelctor wasn't doing its job, i would just switch out the reflector. why spend extra when you dont need to? my pc is being annoying and not loading pictures so i cant say anything about the rockwork... and i see you took the motto "if it ain't broke don't fix it". i would also just check out performance of the stock system :) so i guess you are doing pretty much everything i would do with a new tank ;)

Well great minds think alike now don't they? :)

I will end up switching out the reflector. I don't like it at all. Just need to find the time to do so. I am actually in the office right now, and I just finished filling the tank with R/O and put some salt in there. I will probably have the rocks in the tank some time early next week.

What reflector do you plan on using?

I will most likely have to make one to fit it. So I will just buy a sheet of polished aluminum and remove the old reflector and copy it as best I can.

k, the pc at my dad's work let's me see your pictures. thats a sweet scape. very... unique. looks like a tree. i'm looking forward to seeing the final result. also glad you went with sand :) i personally dont like the BB look

abe

k, the pc at my dad's work let's me see your pictures. thats a sweet scape. very... unique. looks like a tree. i'm looking forward to seeing the final result. also glad you went with sand :) i personally dont like the BB look

abe

Glad you were able to see it! I appreciate the compliment, however I know it will probably look similar that picture, but realistically it will probably be more pillar like with less gaps/shelves. I will do my best though.

As a side note, the configuration of the outputs in conjunction with the single Koralia Nano is giving me pretty awesome circulation. It isn't harsh, but it is swift and will do very will with the pillar type rock work I am aiming for. If I had a more densely packed tank that was geared for sps, I would probably need more flow.

I brought the camera to work today to take some pics of the tank's current state. I moved it to the other side of my office where my colleague has his freshwater plant tank set up, so the two tanks should compliment each other. Either that or mine will put his to shame ;) (I'm teasing). I have it full of saltwater, and should be able to grab live rock on Wednesday morning. I took some snaps of the fuge setup, and the fuge light that I used. For the light I decided to go with a Current USA 12" Satellite since it fits so nicely. It is about the same height and width of the chamber so it does not spill over into other chambers. I also threw a background on the tank since it's up against a window (Yes I know what you are thinking "OMG ALGAE!!!" but the window is heavily tinted on the outside and I am using RODI water so it shouldn't be a huge deal.

I will post the pics when I get home.

Cheers!

i believe someone tested the disco ball reflector and found that its better than most reflectors so i wouldnt change it

so now another tank?!

didnt you just start an oceanic cube?!

lol tanks are just piling up arent they!

good stuff cant wait to see it full

i believe someone tested the disco ball reflector and found that its better than most reflectors so i wouldnt change it

so now another tank?!

didnt you just start an oceanic cube?!

lol tanks are just piling up arent they!

good stuff cant wait to see it full

Nope, no cube. I have a wicked 40br system though ;)

Home from work!

Here are the pics.

Running with water & 14,000K 150w HQI on

TankFront.jpg

Close up so you can see outputs and Koralia nano

Outputs.jpg

View from my desk

ViewfromDesk.jpg

Fuge setup

FugeLight.jpg

FugeBackgroundCut.jpg

Is that the 12" 18w light?

Im jealous! I was going to fill my solana yesterday and get live rock in this week when I found a leak in the aquarium! Good luck with this one, Ill be following this.

Is that the 12" 18w light?

Im jealous! I was going to fill my solana yesterday and get live rock in this week when I found a leak in the aquarium! Good luck with this one, Ill be following this.

Yeah that is the light I am using. I know, sucks about your Solana :( but it will just make it even more worth while once you get it going!

Archived