Top Shelf Aquatics

Roxy's shallow tank

roxy25

One Day I went to vivid and saw there Solana tank up in the front, I never seen one before but I really like the look of it. So I decided to have my friend build me something that would look like it but with my personal dimensions. Here are a few pics of what is to come. I requested black silicone to be used so this should look sweet ! :)

The glass company sent the wrong pieces so I am waiting for the new ones to arrive.

20x20x12 rimless glass tank with beveled glass.

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3251.jpg

Here are the pics of the stand. Hopefully I will have both in my apt soon !

IMG_0024.jpg

_MG_0026.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

I am not totally sure what I want to put in this tank

I will post more pics once I get updates

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks Great!

Where did you get the glass done at?

My friend knows this guy who owns a glass company

I will have to get info. I will pm you the number :P

That Stand doesnt look sturdy at all to me. Im only 16, so i could be wrong, but hopefully someone more experienced throws in input.

you gonna put a thread on scnrs? i like the look of the solana too. but you're right, shallow would be nicer for it. this tank is gonna turn out sweet.

What are you equipment plans for tank and what kind of wood is the stand made of?

I am going to put a overflow box in the back. I am not having a sump , just keeping it simple.

Skimmer I will most likely get a sapphire BC skimmer, I am looking into getting a Kalk reactor , I found a company that makes nano kalk reactors but they are not in production yet , they do make one that might work tho.

Lighting~ still deciding on what brand but it will be MH

The stand I think is made out of just plywood.

you gonna put a thread on scnrs? i like the look of the solana too. but you're right, shallow would be nicer for it. this tank is gonna turn out sweet.

yeah I had a thread asking what should I do with it LOL , I will post once I get the stand at least.

You sure know a lot of people. :P

LMAO not really I just happen to know the RIGHT people hahahhahaha

ok new glass should be here today at my friend house so tank should be finished tomorrow or friday, sat I will pick up stand !!!! yeah !!!!

Ply should be strong enough for a tank this small. Hell. My 24x24 is on cardboard (ikea).

I recommend dosing 2 part over kalk. Kalk is a huge messy pain.

That and get a real skimmer. The saphire hardly counts, especially when you could get a tunze for similar money.

other then that,

The tanks lookin' good roxy.

Ply should be strong enough for a tank this small. Hell. My 24x24 is on cardboard (ikea).

I recommend dosing 2 part over kalk. Kalk is a huge messy pain.

That and get a real skimmer. The saphire hardly counts, especially when you could get a tunze for similar money.

other then that,

The tanks lookin' good roxy.

I tried the 2 part before and IMO it was a HASSLE the kalk is way easier imo I had my tank stable for a few months until I stopped caring for it lol I had kalk water in a container and I had an ATO.

I am not getting the saphire skimmer anymore I am getting secret skimmer sshhhhhhh ( if this don't work tunze here I come )

This is going to be an awesome tank...

Thanks Tom how are the corals I gave you ?

I tried the 2 part before and IMO it was a HASSLE the kalk is way easier imo I had my tank stable for a few months until I stopped caring for it lol I had kalk water in a container and I had an ATO.

Fair enough. Just keep it in mind. When you get the sps explosion, kalk alone is tough to maintain.

ok no tank yet -_- my friend is being lazy and did not pick up the glass ! I didn't get the stand either because I went to santa barbara on sat !!!!!

I am still trying to figure out what lighting ......

The two I am considering a finnex HQI/T5 fixture or a lumenarc pendant 175watts ?

Skimmer tunze nano

heater stealth or hydor

I will be using SB water !!

my opinion would be to go with the HQI/t5 fixture over just the halide pendant.

you'll get a broader light spectrum, cool actinics.. or just alot of light haha.

havent had a chance to try out the stealth heaters by hydor, they look cool.

all i have to say on that, im more occupied by my DIY inline heater capsule thingy...

tunze! nothing bad to say about that.

HURRY UP! i want more pics. haha as im sure alot of other people do.

best of luck, ill take a seat for this tank.

ok no tank yet -_- my friend is being lazy and did not pick up the glass ! I didn't get the stand either because I went to santa barbara on sat !!!!!

I am still trying to figure out what lighting ......

The two I am considering a finnex HQI/T5 fixture or a lumenarc pendant 175watts ?

Skimmer tunze nano

heater stealth or hydor

I will be using SB water !!

I went with a 250 watt MH pendent over my 20 X 20 X 9 shallow tank. I went without the actinics because I have clams which look better under MH only.

In most cases the light with the actinics will look better.

I went with a 250 watt MH pendent over my 20 X 20 X 9 shallow tank. I went without the actinics because I have clams which look better under MH only.

In most cases the light with the actinics will look better.

with 250 watts did you have a lot of heat issues or did your corals bleach ? I wanted a 250 watt at first but my bf said its over kill , I was planning to buy the finnex Hqi/t5 for my bc 29 then use a 250 watt pendant on my shallow tank. Then when I set up my 46g custom tank use 250 pendant on that and use finnex light on shallow tank and sell bc29 thats my original plan lol

I was going to have the pendant raise over the light quiet a bit because I will be having mangroves in the refugium

Brent and seagul I saw your threads great tanks !!!!

with 250 watts did you have a lot of heat issues or did your corals bleach ? I wanted a 250 watt at first but my bf said its over kill , I was planning to buy the finnex Hqi/t5 for my bc 29 then use a 250 watt pendant on my shallow tank. Then when I set up my 46g custom tank use 250 pendant on that and use finnex light on shallow tank and sell bc29 thats my original plan lol

I was going to have the pendant raise over the light quiet a bit because I will be having mangroves in the refugium

Brent and seagul I saw your threads great tanks !!!!

Thanks, A 250 over my tank would be overkill for anything but clams and high light SPS corals. I had to move all the mushrooms, zoas and rics to my Red Sea Max. After just one day under the new light they were all sriveling up under the intense light.

The clams and SPS are doing far better with the large light. I have better colours on the SPS and better growth. The clam that started bleaching from lack of light before I upgraded the light has regained all its colour.

I wouldn't recommend this large of light though because it limits what can be kept so much. Ideal for clams and SPS but that's all I can keep under it. I don't mind because with three tanks side by side I have low light areas for the zoas, etc.

Regarding heat, the pendent can be raised to reduce light and heat. Without a fan my tank went up to 79 degrees. With a small fan the temperature is back down to 77. My evaporation has gone up from 6 gallons per week to about 10. I couldn't have this setup without an ATO.

Thanks, A 250 over my tank would be overkill for anything but clams and high light SPS corals. I had to move all the mushrooms, zoas and rics to my Red Sea Max. After just one day under the new light they were all sriveling up under the intense light.

The clams and SPS are doing far better with the large light. I have better colours on the SPS and better growth. The clam that started bleaching from lack of light before I upgraded the light has regained all its colour.

I wouldn't recommend this large of light though because it limits what can be kept so much. Ideal for clams and SPS but that's all I can keep under it. I don't mind because with three tanks side by side I have low light areas for the zoas, etc.

Regarding heat, the pendent can be raised to reduce light and heat. Without a fan my tank went up to 79 degrees. With a small fan the temperature is back down to 77. My evaporation has gone up from 6 gallons per week to about 10. I couldn't have this setup without an ATO.

I am only putting sps in this tank so it should work ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing really to update still waiting for tank and stand to be finish things has been delayed.

I decided to build my own pendant for this tank.

I am going to have reflectors built for the 18" T5 and a new one for the MH

helios offers an 18" HO t5 ready to rock, definetly worth looking into.

i also had an 18" tank, it was really hard to find actinic lighting to fit and look good in the tanks footprint, so i ended up just running a 14k 70w HQI to try and get a more all-around spectrum.

looking forward to seeing this up and running.

helios offers an 18" HO t5 ready to rock, definetly worth looking into.

i also had an 18" tank, it was really hard to find actinic lighting to fit and look good in the tanks footprint, so i ended up just running a 14k 70w HQI to try and get a more all-around spectrum.

looking forward to seeing this up and running.

Hey seagul

Yes It took me forever to find 18” bulbs but current USA has slimpaq bulbs that are 18”

I am going to use four of them and use my retro 175watt MH I have.

I could not find 18” inch reflectors for the T5 but I am just going to have this guy make them on this computer system he has at his job.

Since I have a reflector from my MH already I might cut it or have the same guy make something better, Not sure yet.

Archived