ReefCleaners.org

28g NanoCube HQI Setup w/ Chiller, UV, etc.

TMcJilton

I am posting a journal with photos of my new 28g NanoCube HQI setup. I will be reposting information and data regarding the tank regularly. Please provide me with any input or advice you may have.

Equipment:

JBJ 28g NanoCube HQI

(1) 150W HQI/14K

(4) Nite-Vu LEDs with Separate Power cord

(2) UL-Listed Accela Powerheads (266gph each/16W each)

(2) Directional flow nozzles on each side of the aquarium

(1) Ocean Pulse Duo—Alternating WaveMaker

(1)Protein Skimmer (counter current) with Air Pump

(1) Integrated center overflow

(4) Integrated cooling fans (3000rpm`s)

(1) Integrated thermal protector for canopy (auto shut off protection)

JBJ Arctica 1/20 Nano Chiller

Coralife 3x Turbotwist UV sterilizer

Sand /Rock:

20lbs Live sand

35lbs Live rock (Indo)

Filters / Media:

Filter floss

(2) sm Chemipure Elite

Setup / Plumbing:

I started by plumbing the UV and Chiller into the system. I have a dedicated 290gph powerhead located in the sump moving water out of the tank, through the UV, on to the Chiller, and the returning to the sump. I decided to use a dedicated pump because I have the two pumps for the main returns to the tank on a wavemaker alternating at 30sec intervals.

The tank is running without the protien skimmer and zero photo cycle currently and has been running since Wednesday February 27th. My initial h20 test as of yesterday yeilded high ammonia results. It is still spiked off the chart. I am using the Marineland "Oceanmaster" powder testkit. Water clarity is still a bit foggy.

The live rock used was not completely cured so I have been removing "die off" regularly.

I plan to cycle the tank untill the levels are at a zero reading. I will be posting regular updates with new h20 data. Please provide me with any feedback you may have.

sounds great.

i would skip the chemipure until your cycle's done -all it's going to do is prevent the bacteria you want from establishing itself (although it might shorten your "cycle" a bit). same w/ skimmer (that you're not currently running)

the zero photoperiod is a good idea, IMO because it'll cut down on your diatoms, and GHA.

what kind of powerhead are you using for the return (the 290 gph). i only ask because jbj typically uses the crappiest of quality in stock products

you're doing good... keep it up ! (by waiting patiently)

Setup

post-28156-1204757345_thumb.jpg

Rock / Sand

post-28156-1204757476_thumb.jpg

Chiller

post-28156-1204757510_thumb.jpg

UV Sterilizer

post-28156-1204757548_thumb.jpg

Back of setup

post-28156-1204757600_thumb.jpg

Sump System

post-28156-1204757633_thumb.jpg

*More photos to be uploaded soon.

what kind of powerhead are you using for the return (the 290 gph). i only ask because jbj typically uses the crappiest of quality in stock products

I agree, the JBJ stock pumps are usually garbage.

In the sump there are 2 JBJ Accella pumps that return to the tank on a wavemaker. (there are two returns) I have a seperate MaxiJet 1200 running the UV and Chiller. I attempted to use a Rio 800 but it couldnt handle the friction and made a ton of noise. The MaxiJet is very quiet even with the friction. I have found that the JBJ Accella pumps are actually quite good, they put out a good flow and are very quiet even under pressure.

Thanks for the input.

United_Poseidon

Ahhhhh! New tanks are so clean looking. This one looke like it has a nice future ahead of it. Good start.

I know its still early in my cycle, but the h20 is still a bit foggy. IMO it should be crystal clear. Any Ideas / suggestions about getting it clearer. Do you think its just going to take that much time to clear up completely.

Im looking to invest in as much equipment as possible that is going to keep this tank running beautifully. If I have to spend a few extra bucks now on hardware, Im all for it. I dont want to see things come up down the road. So any ideas or prior experience you have would be helpful.

How is the 1/20th chiller doing? I have the same setup that Im setting up and I looking into chillers now too. I thought I'd have to go with the 1/15th. What do you think?

Looking good so far btw.

United_Poseidon

I don’t have any experience with this particular tank, as I have a 24 gallon. From what I have read, the skimmers on these are sub par. I would maybe recommend looking into getting a better performing skimmer. Maybe throw in a couple more powerheads in the display. Those are really the only things that I can think of.

I think your water will clear up fine with time. Some new sand is quite powdery and sometime it takes awhile for the sediment to settle. Are you running any filtration? If not that would explain the cloudiness. Maybe try some mechanical filtration, such as filter floss or filament pads in order to remove some of the unsettled particles.

I have this same setup except I ran across a used TECO CA200 chiller at the LFS. I couldn't pass up the price as it was much cheaper than a brand new one.I started mine on February 23.

During my research on chillers, I ran across some information about those JBJ chillers. You may want to read through your manual for that chiller. But I believe that it states in there that the chiller should not be housed in the cabinet. It has to do with how much air flow the chiller can get. Just a heads up.

Tesar

How is the 1/20th chiller doing? I have the same setup that Im setting up and I looking into chillers now too. I thought I'd have to go with the 1/15th. What do you think?

Looking good so far btw.

So far the chiller has run great, but im not running any lights during my cycle so it will have more work ahead of it. However, I was running this chiller on my other setup which had ALOT of heat issues and the chiller brought the temp down rapidly, almost too rapidly. Within 30min it had brought the temp from 89.3 to 83.6 and annother 30min it was down to 77.5. This was what sold it for me. I think its a great setup and will be more than enough for a 28g tank, but if you go with a more powerful chiller, it will have to work less to acheive the same temp.

I don’t have any experience with this particular tank, as I have a 24 gallon. From what I have read, the skimmers on these are sub par. I would maybe recommend looking into getting a better performing skimmer. Maybe throw in a couple more powerheads in the display. Those are really the only things that I can think of.

I think your water will clear up fine with time. Some new sand is quite powdery and sometime it takes awhile for the sediment to settle. Are you running any filtration? If not that would explain the cloudiness. Maybe try some mechanical filtration, such as filter floss or filament pads in order to remove some of the unsettled particles.

I am not running the skimmer during my cycle so im not sure about it. I am looking into a better skimmer. Any reccomendations? I have a Hydor Koralia that I will be using for flow.

I figured the cloudyness was from the sand and it would clear up. I am running the tank and its being filtered by floss and carbon. Thanks.

I have this same setup except I ran across a used TECO CA200 chiller at the LFS. I couldn't pass up the price as it was much cheaper than a brand new one.I started mine on February 23.

During my research on chillers, I ran across some information about those JBJ chillers. You may want to read through your manual for that chiller. But I believe that it states in there that the chiller should not be housed in the cabinet. It has to do with how much air flow the chiller can get. Just a heads up.

Tesar

Thanks for the input. Any chiller requires air flow and should not be placed in an area with little or no air circulation. Air flow is what cools the coils in any type of refrigeration. The stand / cabinet my chiller is placed in actually has vents on both sides for air to come in, and has a large hole in the back, (the size of the air vent on the chiller) for air to exit. So it has plenty of circulation. The stand was designed by JBJ to accomodate this chiller.

Looking good so far btw.

I have the 1/15 one and it works great.

I am thinking of adding a RK2 (or wait for RKE) to control everything. I am not overly happy with the OceanPulse and think this will help automate everything better. Right now I am using the CoraLife digital timer for lights. (Im not currently running a photo period) In the future I will want control over ph, etc. Any advice on this? Should I buy this controller, wait for the new RKE, or buy annother controller?

I know its still early in my cycle, but the h20 is still a bit foggy. IMO it should be crystal clear. Any Ideas / suggestions about getting it clearer. Do you think its just going to take that much time to clear up completely.

This is very normal especially with uncured live rock. The sponge, tunicates, macro algaes and other stuff that is dying off from your rock will pollute the tank for several weeks. The nice thing is that beneficial bacteria are forming that will clarify your water.

I am thinking of adding a RK2 (or wait for RKE) to control everything. I am not overly happy with the OceanPulse and think this will help automate everything better. Right now I am using the CoraLife digital timer for lights. (Im not currently running a photo period) In the future I will want control over ph, etc. Any advice on this? Should I buy this controller, wait for the new RKE, or buy annother controller?

The ocean pulse would be OK if JBJ would fix the problem with both pumps turning on when you power the unit up. The RK2 seems sufficient for this setup. If I had not already purchased one I would definitely get the RKE. The RKE looks awesome!

I tested levels last night and Ammonia is still off the chart. :(

I would do water changes and try to keep ammonia below toxic levels based on your test kit values. Ammonia off the chart will kill everything in the tank. I did daily 50-100% water changes to keep ammonia at or below 1ppm when I cured my last batch of live rock in an effort to preserve as much life as possible. You certainly don't have to do this but I think it preserves some of the bio-diversity that may be present in the live rock. :)

Great news!

I have been testing levels regularly and have had zero ammonia, trites, and trates for 3 days now. I am going to pick up a CUC tomorrow and let them go to work. I thought it would never happen with the high ammonia levels test results were showing. Out of nowhere, the ammonia was gone and there were very little trites. Then the next day there was nothing. Now it’s been 3 days of nothing. I even took a sample down to my LFS to have them test it as well, thinking that since they have a different kind of test kit it would give me a surefire way to know that my readings were true. EXCITING! Water clarity has definitely improved a lot. It’s completely clear aside from the small debris floating around. I’m not sure how to get rid of this but think that when I do my h20 change before adding a CUC, it will help.

I started running the stock protein skimmer that came with the setup. I figured it would break in by the time I have added a bio-load.

Any advice on what to get for a CUC? I was thinking a few Turbo snails and 6 or 7 hermits. Do you think it would be okay to add a damsel in too?

I can’t wait to slowly start stocking the tank.

• 10 months later...

So it has been about 10 months since my tank was setup. I havent had time to post any updates but havent really done anything to the tank. It still has the same rock formation and the only things that have been added are a couple of fish. Maroone Clownfish and Damsal. They have been in the tank since about 3 months after setup.

I have gained a few creatures from the live rock that are worth mentioning. Some kind of crab that I have never seen before. It looks just like a piece of the rock with legs. Unless it is moving, it is incredibly hard to tell that its alive. I also found a snail / slug type creature a few months ago. It is also something I have never seen before. It has a hard back almost like armor. I will post pictures ASAP. Any help with an ID for both would be great!

The live rock has been up and down due to my lack of time spent with regular maintenance, but I will say that it has turned out to be some great looking rock with tons of coraline algae. Mostly purple. My most recent issue was with an orange colored algae that covered everything in the lights path. Again, something I have never seen. I have been up on it lately making regular water changes and I have since scrubbed the rock with a toothbrush to remove the algae and debris. Had I maintained the tank properly the live rock from Indonesia would be incredible right now. In any case, it is on its way now.

One notable issue was with the chiller. I have found that this chiller does a great job, but is not of excellent construction. I have had problems with the fan blade that cools the compressor. It has snapped and broken at the base where it mounts to the motor. It was fairly easy to repair, but took some time to get the unit broken down with all of my plumbing.

I have added a heater to the setup to keep my temp exactly where I want it. With the heater and chiller together, I have had no fluctuations in temp.

Now that I have been keeping up on the tank, I will be adding livestock. One of the things I have learned with this hobby is not to go crazy and take your time. That being said, I am going to go slow and only add corals that I absolutely love. Suggestions people! I want good stuff in this tank. The first fish Im going to add I already know. I want a six line wrasse. He will replace the damsal already in the tank.

The tank is doing much better now and Im looking forward to what is to come. Please check back for photos of the new creatures so that you can help me ID them. I will be posting photos tomorrow. :D

I am running a similar SU with the exception of a chiller. I try to keep it at 78 but it heats up to 81 with the MH on and drops to 78 during the evening. Is the change of 3 degrees enough of an issue to justify a chiller?

I am running a similar SU with the exception of a chiller. I try to keep it at 78 but it heats up to 81 with the MH on and drops to 78 during the evening. Is the change of 3 degrees enough of an issue to justify a chiller?

I use both a chiller and heater to maintain exact temperature. It really depends on you, and if you want to spend the extra money on a chiller. Also depending on what kind of livestock you have, it may be wise to keep it cool. I live in Florida and the temperature changes very frequently and at rapid speeds. Not to mention the high temps in the summer. I knew I needed a chiller when I first bought the setup because of prior experience with these small setups. Without one, my tank would easily reach temps exceeding 90 degrees with the combined heat from pumps, lighting, etc. I also need the heater for when our temp drops because the pumps alone cannot heat the tank and I like it to stay at the proper temp 24 / 7. If you cant justify spending the extra cash, I would reccomend cutting back your photocycle. Provided you are still getting enough for your corals, etc. Otherwise, I would highly reccomend purchasing as much equipment as possible to avoid any problems. Lets not forget, it also depends on what you keep your air temp in your home at. Also, where is the tank located? Is it in direct sunlight? These can be determining factors. I would say that 1 to 2 degree swing should not be an issue. But I like to be safe. To give an example, I once had a 55g setup with no chiller. One day when I returned home, the a/c was not working and my tank had heated up to 94.5. Thats hot! :D

So it has been about 10 months since my tank was setup. I havent had time to post any updates but havent really done anything to the tank. It still has the same rock formation and the only things that have been added are a couple of fish. Maroone Clownfish and Damsal. They have been in the tank since about 3 months after setup.

I have gained a few creatures from the live rock that are worth mentioning. Some kind of crab that I have never seen before. It looks just like a piece of the rock with legs. Unless it is moving, it is incredibly hard to tell that its alive. I also found a snail / slug type creature a few months ago. It is also something I have never seen before. It has a hard back almost like armor. I will post pictures ASAP. Any help with an ID for both would be great!

The live rock has been up and down due to my lack of time spent with regular maintenance, but I will say that it has turned out to be some great looking rock with tons of coraline algae. Mostly purple. My most recent issue was with an orange colored algae that covered everything in the lights path. Again, something I have never seen. I have been up on it lately making regular water changes and I have since scrubbed the rock with a toothbrush to remove the algae and debris. Had I maintained the tank properly the live rock from Indonesia would be incredible right now. In any case, it is on its way now.

One notable issue was with the chiller. I have found that this chiller does a great job, but is not of excellent construction. I have had problems with the fan blade that cools the compressor. It has snapped and broken at the base where it mounts to the motor. It was fairly easy to repair, but took some time to get the unit broken down with all of my plumbing.

I have added a heater to the setup to keep my temp exactly where I want it. With the heater and chiller together, I have had no fluctuations in temp.

Now that I have been keeping up on the tank, I will be adding livestock. One of the things I have learned with this hobby is not to go crazy and take your time. That being said, I am going to go slow and only add corals that I absolutely love. Suggestions people! I want good stuff in this tank. The first fish Im going to add I already know. I want a six line wrasse. He will replace the damsal already in the tank.

The tank is doing much better now and Im looking forward to what is to come. Please check back for photos of the new creatures so that you can help me ID them. I will be posting photos tomorrow. :D

I just had the EXACT same issue with my chiller. How did you fix it? Did you glue the broken base back together? Or did you order a replacement fan blade?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

You're got a great set up, thanks for the photos of the back!

I'm trying to install a chiller on my Nano Cube 28g, as well as a Remora Skimmer and I'm having trouble making everything fit in the back chambers. I'm wondering, what did you end up putting where?

I'm trying to install a chiller on my Nano Cube 28g, as well as a Remora Skimmer and I'm having trouble making everything fit in the back chambers. I'm wondering, what did you end up putting where?

I've got a 28g NanoCube LED with chiller and Remora Nano Skimmer. Here's my setup, going from Left to Right looking from the front:

Chamber 1: Stock return Pump, Pump for Skimmer

Chamber 2: Chiller return piping. (Skimmer overflow dumps into both chambers 1 and 2)

Chamber 3: InTank media basket with chaeto (JBJ Nano-Glo refugium light)

Chamber 4: Heater, Chiller take-off piping

Chamber 5: Stock return Pump, temperature probe and pH probe for Reefkeeper

I still have to find a place for a float switch and piping for an ATO. It's pretty crowded back there.

I hope this helps.

Archived