SaltCritters.com

has anyone bought tanks for glasscages.com ?

stoneman

kermitthedaniel

ive heard horry stories from these guys, they are kinda nice at first then if you want something specific they hate you. i wouldnt do it.

ive heard horry stories from these guys, they are kinda nice at first then if you want something specific they hate you. i wouldnt do it.

thanks for the reply,

so are you saying the customer service is horrible or the tanks are junk?

stoneman

I have bought 2 tanks from them unfortunatly. I bought 2 of the arylic cubes. one was 12x12x16 other was 8x8x16. the 12x one i used for FW and it held water. the 8x8x16 i was planning on using for SW but 3 days into use the thing CRACKED. Not from being hit or dropped or anything, this cracked longways...with the grain of the acrylic. Apparetnly he used the wrong kind of acrylic (cast vs extruded or something along those lines) The craftmenship is HORRIBLE. not a single edge on the tank is square. I built a stand for this tank before i got it (stupid) that was EXACTLY 12x12 on top for the tank to sit on and was square as square could get.. Well when i got the tank and put it on the stand, it really showed how bad and unsquare the tank really was. IT is absolutly HORRID. I can get pictures for you if you dont believe me. the sides bow out like it would if it had water it in, but when these are bowed out, it is completely empty. On the FW tank (still isuse) there are areas where the arylic is so unlevel that the magfloat will not scrub it because of the waves in the acrylic. gf is tellin me we gotta go. Ill snap some pics later.

jamesnmandy

dont order one as a display, my 20 gal tall sump tank i bought leaked on delivery, of course since its acrylic its easy to fix with the proper solvent, but still, for a sump tank, sure, get one and fill with water and leak test, for a display i would get one of the all in one type setup nanos (if you are going nano)

I have done enough research thru googling and plan on ordering my tank from there.

I can say that I would recommend Against ordering a nano tank from there. Larger tanks have allot of happier folks.

I have seen more satisfaction with glass based tanks and selecting the black silicone option.

supreme_spork
Eleventy billionth thread about them this week. Search glasscages and read some of their stuff here. They are a joke.

Edit: one of my favorites http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;hl=glasscages

+1.

If any question deserves a good smack for being lame, it's this one -- it's SO EASY to find the ten billion pages of bad feedback on this company all over the web.

Here's one super-simple search

neanderthalman

while I would normally agree that, yeah, this would've been quickly solved with an easy search, I'd rather someone create an extraneous thread to ask about glasscages than see them make the mistake of buying a tank from them.

i got a 33g long from them and it leaked first time i put water in it

when i got it off their truck you could still smell the silicone, which shouldnt smell as badly

i also transfered everything from a 10g to the 33g and EVERYTHING died

now when youre in an apt with 3 marine biologists, with over 30 years of experience combined, i would hope we would be able to do a simple transfer successfully

my friend wanted the tank so i gave it to him and he was doing freshwater, needless to say everything in his tank crashed too and he's been doing freshwater since he was tiny and he is an aquaculturist to boot

if i ever buy anything from them again, its only to break it right in front of them for being dicks

supreme_spork
while I would normally agree that, yeah, this would've been quickly solved with an easy search, I'd rather someone create an extraneous thread to ask about glasscages than see them make the mistake of buying a tank from them.

true that.

I researched them before and found way more negative feedback (incl "horror stories") than I ever did of good feedback. Of course, this is normal for anything, as angry people will be more vocal than non-angry, but in the case of Glasscages, the angry people far outweighed the normal ratio.

and i agree about the above statement.

the other issue is that no one has made a collective thread of all the other tank builders out there.

I researched them before and found way more negative feedback (incl "horror stories") than I ever did of good feedback. Of course, this is normal for anything, as angry people will be more vocal than non-angry, but in the case of Glasscages, the angry people far outweighed the normal ratio.

yeah for sure, it hits a point where common sense needs to kick in when reading reviews, one way or the other

I have a 65 gallon acrylic from glass cages. Standard tank, not reef ready or anything. Not the best looking tank ever but it's held up just fine over the years.

I have a 65 gallon acrylic from glass cages. Standard tank, not reef ready or anything. Not the best looking tank ever but it's held up just fine over the years.

Well every company has flukes... normally the flukes are the defects. In the case of glasscages, the flukes are the non-defects -_-

i bought my 1/2 20 gallon from them and so far its held up well. They seem to have done a good job with it.

I have three of their tanks, and no problems so far.....knock on wood. I know several others with their tanks and no complaints there either.

Archived