Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pocillopora Reproduction!?

SeeDemTails

SeeDemTails

So I glanced at my surface skimmer box of my AquaC Remora tonight at what I though looked like some type of small pest anemone, but as I got closer, and a little closer still, I realize what it is......A tiny colony of my green pocillopora!!!!

How did it get there?...I dont know, the coral has never touched or even been closer than 1 foot from the box, but yet there it is, a bright green little colony growing away.

So I am led to believe that the coral must have sexually reproduced some how, and the new colony formed randomly. Tomarrow when the lights are back on I am gonna do a more thorough inspection, I assume I may find some more small colonies!

How cool is that, a SPS coral growing, or should I say reproducing like that in your tank!....Makes the top 5 list of my coolest reefing experiences!

Pics tomarrow.

So I glanced at my surface skimmer box of my AquaC Remora tonight at what I though looked like some type of small pest anemone, but as I got closer, and a little closer still, I realize what it is......A tiny colony of my green pocillopora!!!!

How did it get there?...I dont know, the coral has never touched or even been closer than 1 foot from the box, but yet there it is, a bright green little colony growing away.

So I am led to believe that the coral must have sexually reproduced some how, and the new colony formed randomly. Tomarrow when the lights are back on I am gonna do a more thorough inspection, I assume I may find some more small colonies!

How cool is that, a SPS coral growing, or should I say reproducing like that in your tank!....Makes the top 5 list of my coolest reefing experiences!

Pics tomarrow.

Congrats on the babies :)

Poci's are brooders instead of (or in addition to?) broadcast spawners. When they reproduce, the egg is kept inside the coral polyp, fertilized, and "nurtured" until the larva are fully formed. Then, it gets spit out of the coral polyp to settle down on it's own.

A very cool process. The local club had a speaker form the National Aquarium in Baltimore who was propagating them that way. They would put small boxes over the corals at night and catch the larva as they left the polyps to put them on frag plugs for aquaculturing. There's some way to tell when they're ready to spit a batch out, not sure how exciting it would be to see (probably not much action involved), but it's not something every reefer could say they've seen. :)

The Propagator
Congrats on the babies :)

Poci's are brooders instead of (or in addition to?) broadcast spawners. When they reproduce, the egg is kept inside the coral polyp, fertilized, and "nurtured" until the larva are fully formed. Then, it gets spit out of the coral polyp to settle down on it's own.

A very cool process. The local club had a speaker form the National Aquarium in Baltimore who was propagating them that way. They would put small boxes over the corals at night and catch the larva as they left the polyps to put them on frag plugs for aquaculturing. There's some way to tell when they're ready to spit a batch out, not sure how exciting it would be to see (probably not much action involved), but it's not something every reefer could say they've seen. :)

I have seen this in person. it is VERY COOL to watch.

SeeDemTails

Wow thats awesome, I'm glad mine is doing well enough to reproduce like that in my tank!

I will try to get pics of the babies later!

fyi, some people actually consider Pocillopora to be a `pest' especially the way they reproduce (as you have seen right now). i have seen a few cases in reef-central where people are asking for advice how to get rid of them because the babies are all over the tank taking up valuable space.

other than that, congrats!

SeeDemTails

If you didnt want it, it seems it would be easy enough to kill a small colony in an undesirable spot.

I could see how they would be a pest, they are pretty aggressive, they sting the crap out of zoas.

But for now, its pretty cool!...I will take a SPS pest any day!

happened to my lfs show tank. they had a colony and it was sold. a month later tiny ones were popping up everywhere in the tank. i think you are going to find more all over yours too. on the walls and rockwork . i wish something like this would happeni n my tank.if you dont want the "pests" you could always give them away ;)

SeeDemTails

I am going to let the one grow on my surface skimmer box, it is growing quickly. Once it gets bigger I may frag it off, but if it looks cool I might leave it, eventually it would be cool if it hid the box.

Archived