Top Shelf Aquatics

Amerijuanican 20g Long Lagoon

Amerijuanican

Amerijuanican

Hey guys. Here is some basic info on my new tank project.

20g Long "Lagoon" tank.

Tank: AGA 20L 30"L x 12"W x 12"H

Lighting: 70W MH HQI JBJ Viper K2 Fixture

Filtration: EcoSystem HOB Refugium/Protein Skimmer Combo

Flow: Single Koralia 1

Stocking List:

-Rose Bubble Tip Anemone

-mated pair of clownfish (maybe tomato clowns, but I'd really like to get a pair of black and white oscellaris)

-Feather Caulerpa

-Pistol Shrimp/Goby Pair

-Tridacna derasa

-Various Ricordea

-Various Zoos

-Mermaids Brush plant?

Thats about it.

I should be setting this tank up by next week or so... so stay tuned for pics and what not. I'm not too sure if anyone has ever done this in a nano-sized tank but I have been captivated by Lagoon style tanks since I was first introduced to the hobby a couple of years ago. Either way, this should be interesting and hopefully if all goes well, I will have a nice lagoon desktop aquarium.

Amerijuanican

ya, I was thinking that too... 30" is a lot of length for a single Koralia 1... I might go wit noter Koralia 1 or maybe even just add a Koralia Nano where the return from the HOB fuge will be.

Amerijuanican

Just got the EcoSystem HOB Refugium/Protein Skimmer combo. Its the 30" model rated for a 50g tank. Good deal. I finished painting the trim and back of the tank today and I'll be setting up the whole shabang in about a week or so. Pics forthcoming.

Amerijuanican

Here is how the set-up looks completed...

DSCN0560.jpg

DSCN0562.jpg

No sand or LR yet... I'm filling the tank up with water and putting the EcoSystem Miracle Mud in the HOB Refugium tomorrow... It says your supposed to let it sit like that for a few days so I guess thats what I'm doing. Then I'll be adding the sandbed, LR, and Calurpa. Stay tuned!

Amerijuanican

Its a JBJ Viper K2 70W MH lamp. Its okay... I'm not feeling the clamp. It seems like unless the tank is rimless it is just going to give you problems clamping on. O well, its there now. I put all the LR, sand, and MIracle Mud in today... so more pics on Monday.

oooooh, better keep LOOOOOOOOOOOTS of macro. miracle mud almost defeats the purpose of a refugium. your macro algae should be living off nutrients from your fish and the food you add, not it's own source. i know of several people that had TERRIBLE hair algae outbreaks as a result of the mud. you may also want to add some support, like a brick or something, under the fuge to keep it from putting too much pressure on the back glass. that looks like it would weigh a good 40-50 lbs full.

but anyway, the tank looks great so far and i'm interested in seeing how it turns out :)

Amerijuanican

hhhmmmm... I too know a few people who have used it and they haven't had any problems with it... They all love it and swear by it. But, if that does happen, then I will just take it out... no biggie.

Amerijuanican

yessa... I'm actually trying to get my hands on some feather caulurpa right now and I'm having a hard time finding any...

yessa... I'm actually trying to get my hands on some feather caulurpa right now and I'm having a hard time finding any...

i wouldnt mind sending you some feather caulerpa if you can't get any locally. Its not hard or expensive to put a handful in a few ziplocs with some water and send it in a manilla envelope. Let me know if nothing works out i have plenty to spare.

Your 34 solana is tight and this one looks like its going to follow that trend as well, glad to help.

hhhmmmm... I too know a few people who have used it and they haven't had any problems with it... They all love it and swear by it. But, if that does happen, then I will just take it out... no biggie.

good luck then :)

maybe because it will be a lightly stocked nano environment the macro will need more nutrients from the mud to grow and not have much to absorb from waste produced by livestock. the people i know that had problems with it have big tanks. but taking it out would certainly be easy in your situation if necessary.

Amerijuanican

Hey guys...

updated FTS 3/23/08:

DSCN0589.jpg

long-ways tank shot:

DSCN0595.jpg

ID PLEASE! Sold to me as "Blue Xenia" and its definitely an Octocoral. Any ideas?

DSCN0590.jpg

Yellow Zoos Rock:

DSCN0593.jpg

New Ricordea florida:

DSCN0592.jpg

Refugium:

DSCN0596.jpg

Thanks! More updates and pictures soon!

Amerijuanican

NEW ADDITIONS:

-2 Mangrove sprouts

-Allen's Damselfish