Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Jason's Siamese Tanks

Jasoncgnu

FishSide.JPG

Ok now that I have a little more time I can throw up some specs.

First a little history. I've always liked fish tanks and I have a 55gal planted tank at my dad's house that has been running for about 8 years. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures but I built it for him and designed it around being extremely low maintenance. He cleans the filter maybe once a year and does water changes maybe 4 times a year. It only has 6 fish(1 pleco and 5 tiger barbs) so that helps plus it is overgrown with plants.

So since I've done the freshwater thing I wanted to try saltwater and so I went out and purchased a BC14 and got started. Since then I've moved and so Ive had to tear down my tank and set it back up but I think that is part of the fun of this hobby. Tinkering with things makes me happy. I guess thats why I'm in school to be an engineer.

Anyway here is some of the need to know info about the tank.

Hardware:

BC14

70W Sunpod mod

Middle chamber fuge mod

Upgraded pump to MJ 900

DIY Top Off System

Coral:

Lots of zoos (maybe 20 kinds)

Birdsnest

frogspawn

mushrooms

Acropora

Montipora

club leather

yellow polyps

candy cane

GSP

various sponges and kelp

Pallys

Inverts:

C. Clam

hermits

Astrea and nass snails

Brittle Star

Fish:

2 Black and White clowns

I used to try and monitor the chemical levels very closely but many of the test kits i've found to be inaccurate so I've decided to just make it easy on myself and change about 3 gallons every week. So far everything seems to be happy with this style of maintenance. My frogspawn which had previously bleached has bounced back and regained all its color.

So let me know what you think or if you have suggestions.

Happy Reefing

Sweet tank I love your acro's the aquascapings great too! keep up the good work!

Thank you! I'm very happy with how my acro is doing right now. I'm getting a lot of growth on it since I moved it a little closer to the light.

Also it took me a while to decide on the current acuascape. I spent a lot of time trying to arrange the rocks so that I could easily clean the glass on all three sides of the tank.....then I decided that I didn't care and so I just piled up in the two corners. My fish are just starting to venture back into the "canyon" between the rocks which is more interesting than watching them criss cross along the glass.

I made a quick mod to the center chamber tonight: I took some of the egg crate and replaced the stock trickle filter thing that covers the center chamber. Water flow into the chamber is much better now even with a filter pad on top.

Here are some pictures of the new mod.

filter1ie9.jpg

filter2zf8.jpg

And here is one of my cheato growing like crazy.

cheatowy7.jpg

Are your two clowns doing ok? I was thinking of putting one in my bc 8. Think it would work? About how many gallons per in.?

Yeah my clowns are great. I think I've had them for 2 months or so and no problems.

I'm not an expert but I think that 8g is fine for 1 clown. This thread is a pretty good source for stocking.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=676626

good luck!

using eggcrate as a top cover? thinkin about gettin one....too bad they dont make it in clear lol nice tank looks really good

I sure am! I had an open top for a while but then my first false perc. decided he wanted to explore the world and find himself. RIP Frank. :(

After that little mishap I put egg crate on top with a small square cut in the center for the light.

so your light must be really close to the eggcrate? or else cant the fish (coincidentally jump through the small square cut?)

It's not really that close but there is enough egg crate that I don't really worry about anything jumping out anymore. My girlfriend also wanted me to put a cover on the tank because she hates my brittle star and doesn't want it to escape. :lol:

Here is a picture of the top of my tank so you can see what I did.

topjk8.jpg

And here is another one of a frag stand that I made....this stuff is good for everything!! :P

standse4.jpg

cool..thanks for the pics i might do the same and cut a square in the centre. I just hope my firefish doesnt jump through one of the eggcrate squares lol -_-

Looks Awesome B)

Gvtv44, I've always liked your tank because it is just packed to the brim with life. So thank you for the compliment. :D Made my night.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update. You can see how much growth there has been in just the last 3 weeks.

3 weeks ago

Greenie.JPG

Now

greenie2wg8.jpg

picture528yd9.jpg

zoasga3.jpg

Does anyone know why the tips of my GSP are always curled over? Is that normal behavior or is it a reaction to something? Because mine has done it since I can remember and it seems to be thriving.

• 4 months later...

It's been some time since I've posted anything so here are a couple of update pics before I move 5 miles down the road. I bought the anemone in anticipation for the 24g AP I just bought and so I secluded it so I could place it later and now it's attached itself to the net. <_<

ftsga3.jpg

acrohn2.jpg

rosenk4.jpg

sweet tank.take a look at my 14 gal bio cube in my sig at bottom.I have a sunpod on mine and i made a lid for mine out of thick plexi glass.It turned out very nice and i still plan to take it to glass shop and have them cut a glass one.I could have them do an extra if you like how looks.Let me know.

• 1 month later...

Tank upgraded to a 24g Aquapod.

Inhabitants:

2x Black and White clowns

1x green mandarin

1x coral banded shrimp

1x tuxedo urchin

1x serpent star

Picture_0491.jpg

Picture_0371.jpg

I almost lost the anemone when it was sucked into the pump but I was able to painstakingly pull it out of the intake. It doesn't expand as much as before but I'm hoping it will make a full recovery over time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived