Cultivated Reef

A DEVIL POD ATE MY POLYP!

Weetabix7

I had something really crazy happen to me last night.

A pod made off with this prized new polyp from the Frag Swap:

DSCN2058.jpg

It was doing great for the first couple of days, looking just like the pic.

Then I noticed this one pod hanging out at the base of it for a whole day. Didn't think anything of it til it looked closed up and very unhappy that night, so I took a closer look. The base of the polyp had been almost completely severed from the frag plug.

The next day it stayed closed up and unhappy looking, so I did an iodine dip on it that night. Then last night I was looking at it closely again cause I thought I saw a pod on the frag plug, but when I got up close, the polyp wasn't even on the frag plug at all!

I already had my hand in the tank from putting a Berghia Nudi in, so I was looking around for the polyp. I found it detached and just a short ways away, all closed up, but right at the moment I went to grab it a pod (probably the same one) scurried right up and made off with it under the rock!

I know this sounds nuts, but I promise I'm not making it up!

Before anyone asks, I am absolutely 100% certain that it was a pod. It was definitely one of the larger ones I've seen, but it was a normal, garden-variety pod. It was not one of the more insidious parisitic type pods either, just one of the type that looks kinda like a curled up roly-polyp and scurry around sideways.

I'm SO mad, these zoas are NOT easy to get ahold of!!!

Luckily for me, BibleSue got a 2 polyp frag of this same zoa, so maybe when hers grows out some I can beg one polyp off of her.

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them before?

right at the moment I went to grab it a pod (probably the same one) scurried right up and made off with it under the rock!

happy0204.gifhappy0188.gifhappy0192.gifhappy0196.gifhappy0130.gifhappy0137.gifhappy0040.gifhappy0023.gif

happy0167.gif

Sorry Weet...I've never heard of it before...but it would make for an awesome reefing cartoon :) Too bad is was a pretty one. :(

happy0204.gifhappy0188.gifhappy0192.gifhappy0196.gifhappy0130.gifhappy0137.gifhappy0040.gifhappy0023.gif

happy0167.gif

Sorry Weet...I've never heard of it before...but it would make for an awesome reefing cartoon :) Too bad is was a pretty one. :(

Oh you think you're funny now, but I'm gonna catch me that pod and include him as a nice "bonus" in the next trade I do with you!!!

lilredneckman

Wow im so sorry to hear weetie! I loved that polyp. I have never had it happen before but yesterday i noticed a few pods hanging in some of my zoas and they haven't opened yet and look really angry. I hope the same thing is not happening!

Oh you think you're funny now, but I'm gonna catch me that pod and include him as a nice "bonus" in the next trade I do with you!!!

*makes note to drop frags onto mini carpets for "cleaning"

I feel your pain. I've had this happen twice. I think your right that its a normal pod but for some reason they get a taste for a prized frag. Both frags I had this happen to were eatin alive within a week of putting them in my tank.

Pick up a mandarin or a pipefish from your LFS and then return it in a few days. They'll kill him for sure, and all his little friends too. Sweet revenge. No really though that sucks. I have never heard of that but I will definitely be keeping a closer eye on my polyps in the future. Although, unless I get a mask and stick my face in the tank I don't know how that's possible. :D

Wouldn't it be kewl if you had some ultra tiny baby mantis in your tank?

Bill

This is why single polyp frags are bad, people need to stop being greedy and offer at least 2 polyps minimum.

Also I have a few polyps of those I could send out for like $5 if you want.

masterbuilder

Yup... I had the same problem. I KNOW that I had some big pods (looked linda like mysis) that ate some of my zoa's. I had almost everyone tell me that "pods dont eat healthy corals". I know the ones that were consumed or damaged where in great shape. Anywho... I got a sixline and let him destroy my killer pod population. I later caught the sixline (which is easy by the way) and returned him to my LFS when he had completed his mision. No problems since. By the way...I bet you have more than one killer, catching just one wont do it , IMO

Mark

EDIT: I liked the Sixline, but since I was already maxed out with fish, he had to go back to home base.

This is why single polyp frags are bad, people need to stop being greedy and offer at least 2 polyps minimum.

Also I have a few polyps of those I could send out for like $5 if you want.

It was at the frag swap, and they did offer 2 polyps, I just couldn't afford it.

Thank you very much for the offer, I may take you up on it when I can raise the $$ to cover shipping costs.

People should offer 2 polyps for the price of one and then after that go up in price. I have bought single polyps before and have had some die on me and it sucks to have that happen.

masterbuilder

One more thing...those same pods seem to be attracted to super glue .... weird... but they seemed to be eating it or useing it for something. And...NO.... the drugs had already worn off when I saw this too.

Had the same thing happen to me but it was 2-3 evil pods that attacked several zoa colonies. I monitored it for weeks then decided to introduce a purple pseudo. Since then I haven't seen the pods and the zoa colony is happily growing back.

People should offer 2 polyps for the price of one and then after that go up in price. I have bought single polyps before and have had some die on me and it sucks to have that happen.

I agree I got a rpe from prop and had an outbreak of zoafungus I saved every thing cept my rpe and eagle eyes.

One more thing...those same pods seem to be attracted to super glue .... weird... but they seemed to be eating it or useing it for something. And...NO.... the drugs had already worn off when I saw this too.

+1 I just noticed that when i put some new frags of sps in my tank. Once the lights are out pods literally swarm all over the frag plug it seems like they like the smell or taste of super glue gel.

I have the SAME issue and I just bought a yellow coris wrasse this week. I can see the reduction of pods already as the wrasse is constantly hunting them for food! Here's what I posted on another forum:

"hah...nah it's the amphipod in the picture above i posted...i thought it wasn't eatting it at first so i just observed. well yesterday i saw one munching on the skirt of my paly...i figure it could be cleaning it or something. later that evening the skirt has been eaten. i wasn't 100% positive it was the amphipods but today my zoas colony was closing in certain area so i started to observe the amphipod. so i saw this amphipod laying on it's back between the zoas and chewed the bottom of a small zoa off the rock...flipped it over and started to munch on it. (like a sea otter does when it's swimming on it's back eating) tried to suck it out with a turkey baster but it ran off..."

http://www.scnrs.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=548

I had the same thing happen to me. I bought a small frag of cool orange and yellow zoanthids from my LFS. They where on a small fragment of rock that had broken off. There was some damage to some of the polyps and the coenechyme. over the next couple of days the polyps began to not open all the way and some where disappearing, also the coenechyme was disappearing and the polyps began to take on a funnel shape being thinner at the base. When the base got to narrow to support the polyp it would float away. I only have a 4 gallon tank so I can see everything that happens with my corals. At night I could see small shrimp looking creatures (pods?) feeding on the coenechyme, and they did so until the rock fragment was clean of it. I had two polyps left, one has began to form a good solid base. The other I lost today, My cerith nocked it off. I think the lone standing orange one will do well, but I lost all the cool yellow ones.

They where doing the same to my green polyps that where well established, but they are healthy and rapidly dividing and they now seem to be leaving them alone. I also noticed one of my blue legged hermits doing the same. I kept on pulling him away and I think he got tiered of the fight. The hole process has been very frustrating, but now seems to be resolved.

Archived