Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Adam's Red Sea Max

mandelbloom

Red Sea Max arrived today!

post-10081-1200973824_thumb.jpg

Built the stand, it was kinda a pain!

post-10081-1200973864_thumb.jpg

Got the tank on the stand, not easy with only one person :)

post-10081-1200973870_thumb.jpg

Its getting late already...so tomorrow I will build out the tank and put in the live sand and water. Hopefully I can pick up some live rock on wednesday.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the RSM world Adam! I love mine. Just a quick word of advice. Dump the test kit and buy the API master reef and master salt kits. The RSM kit isn't a very good one, it isn't uniform in its testing methodology, and you will get a false high ammonia reading with it.

UH aka Fishhead2

Welcome to the RSM world Adam! I love mine. Just a quick word of advice. Dump the test kit and buy the API master reef and master salt kits. The RSM kit isn't a very good one, it isn't uniform in its testing methodology, and you will get a false high ammonia reading with it.

UH aka Fishhead2

Yea thats what I have been told. I will try it out I can always get the water tested at my lfs in the mean time. One thing I did not use is the substrate it came with, just went ahead and bought a 40lbs bag of live sand.

Finshed settting it up!

TankDone.jpg

Added sand and water, salinty seems good. Love the moonlights :)

TankFull.jpg

Now I just need to find some nice live rock...seems to be a shortage around these parts :)

Its defintely a nice tank, very clean look! Pull the trigger and get it :) Better set some money aside in your budget though this can be an expensive hobby!

haha..yea I have this dream in my head of no algea. Pipe dream I know :(

I don't have very much algae growth in my RSM. It doens't recieve direct sunlight, I think that helps a lot, so it's not too much of a pipe dream if you have a good clean up crew! Yet I do have lots of purple coralline, my back wall is covered in it, good to see what it used to look like in your tank.

I don't have very much algae growth in my RSM. It doens't recieve direct sunlight, I think that helps a lot, so it's not too much of a pipe dream if you have a good clean up crew! Yet I do have lots of purple coralline, my back wall is covered in it, good to see what it used to look like in your tank.

You can do it. I am pretty much algae free (I am hoping that the bright green stuff that takes a scraper to get off on the back wall is green coralline :lol:) after some mods and a better clean up crew.

My crew consists of 4 hermits, 2 turbo snails, 2 Trochus snails, 2 snails that were hitchhikers and I have no idea what they are, a money cowrie, a fighting conch, an abalone, and an urchin. I have to spot feed the counch, cowrie, abalone, and urchin now that my diatom/green algae problem is gone and I am starting to get some coralline on my rocks now that I am feeding the urchin so they seem to have done the trick.

I would have only gone with the urchin, abalone, cowrie and conch had I known about them sooner but the hermits and other snails seem to have a uneasy peace between them and have since going in the tank when I first added my CUC... But I did catch my hermits in a cluster the other morning plotting something (photos to follow this week as it was so odd to see) before scattering when I started shooting pictures. I think they are staking out the rocky knoll over by my fiji coral as a good spot for a second gunman to take out the turbo snails as they scoot by on their morning run about the tank but I can't be sure... :lol:

Also take a look at my polyfilter fuge as an option as well as thinking about a more diverse crew. The poly will hang off the back btw I just don't do it on mine due to lack of space.

UH

Well the tank parameters have stabilized so I added my CUC.

FTS

FullTank.jpg

Urchin

Urchin.jpg

Lettuce Nudibranch

Nudibranch.jpg

and finally some Zenia that my friend gave me, they have overtaken his tank :)

Zenia.jpg

A couple more weeks and I will add my first fish. I really want to go Gold Stripe Maroon but I know they can be mean little guys!

One problem I am having is there is always a bunch of tiny particles floating around my tanks. It may be just bits of sand getting kicked of the LR but never the less it wont go away!! Any ideas??

Hey mate!

Looking good!

I have to warn you about one thing though. That looks from the photo to be a pencil urchin and they are a big no no in a mixed tank our size. They eat just about everything including slow moving fish so you probably want to take it back and exchange it for a pin cushion or better yet a tuxedo urchin.

Sorry about the bad news.

Those bubbles are normal while the skimmer is breaking in or doesn't have anything to skim. Don't worry too much about it.

UH

lilredneckman

Nice xenia. UrchinHead is right, i had a pencil in my 55 and he ate tons of coralline and chunks of rock. I would remove him ASAP.

Yea...thats what I hear. He is pretty small right now I am going to keep a close eye on him and remove it at the first sign of trouble. I had bought a Nano cleaner pack from reef scavengers which included it, go figure :)

Yea...thats what I hear. He is pretty small right now I am going to keep a close eye on him and remove it at the first sign of trouble. I had bought a Nano cleaner pack from reef scavengers which included it, go figure :)

Email them and ask for an exchange. Go with the Tuxedo. I would do it now before it goes after a piece of coral or a fish if I were you and I believe they are pretty good about stuff like that. Tell them you read about it from Fenner's web site if they give you guff.

UH

I will probably just give it to my LFS....its only a few bucks so not really worth having them ship me something new..im sure they would give me some credit but not sure if I will order much else from them in the near term. Too bad he is pretty cool looking :) Not much for him to destroy in the next couple of weeks so no worries.

Archived