Innovative Marine Aquariums

Need advice - cycling my new 12g tank

doctorhannibal

doctorhannibal

I'm just a newbie in nano-reefkeeping but I already have 10yrs on FW tank. Reading this forum encouraged me to try reefkeeping, aside from the magical beauty of having a corals & SW colorful fishes in my room, I think SW is more challenging than FW.

A month ago before I started building my SW tank, I've read the topics in this forum and I've learned alot but I think I will learn more by experiencing it and in getting advice from pro-reefers. Since this is only my 1st time, I decided to go for a nano tank.. because of the low cost maintenance. I'll switch to a bigger tank someday If I succeeded on this nano.

Specs of my tank..

> 12gal bow type acry tank

> 350lph overhead / only floss filter for now.

> 400lph pump for water movement

> heater

> floating hydrometer w/ thermometer.

> 40W CFL

I just started my tank 3days ago, the salinity & temperature is fine. I put up 4kgs of LR & pure LS (aragonite).

My Questions Are :

1) What else do I need to put into my tank?

2) Should I remove the hitchhikers from the LR? They came out from the Rock holes yesterday.. 3small crabs, small cerith snails, 2 big turbo snails & couple of other tiny snails (I dont know thier names yet). I'm just wondering that they might disturb the cycle or I just leave them alone?

3) I know pods & other tiny organism are beneficial to the tank esp during cycle. But they are sucked on my overhead pump and trapped in the floss filter, I saw few dead pods in there. Should I remove the floss filter? What is a better substitute filter to purify the water or just to make the water crystal clear?

4) Usually, how long it will take for a tank to finish nitrogen cycle? Considering my 4kgs LR & Aragonite. I'm so excited to put something in there but I've learned here in forum that patience is the key to success.

5) Putting Zoas during the cycle is safe? or after the cycle?

6) Is it necessary to switch on the light 8-12hrs/day during the cycle? I bought a socket with digital timer and I set to switch on-off from 9am-9pm.

I'm sorry If thesame topics are posted in the past, I just want to clear my doubts and wish me luck! Thank you!!

I'll post my tank pix later.

I'm just a newbie in nano-reefkeeping but I already have 10yrs on FW tank. Reading this forum encouraged me to try reefkeeping, aside from the magical beauty of having a corals & SW colorful fishes in my room, I think SW is more challenging than FW.

A month ago before I started building my SW tank, I've read the topics in this forum and I've learned alot but I think I will learn more by experiencing it and in getting advice from pro-reefers. Since this is only my 1st time, I decided to go for a nano tank.. because of the low cost maintenance. I'll switch to a bigger tank someday If I succeeded on this nano.

Specs of my tank..

> 12gal bow type acry tank

> 350lph overhead / only floss filter for now.

> 400lph pump for water movement

> heater

> floating hydrometer w/ thermometer.

> 40W CFL

I just started my tank 3days ago, the salinity & temperature is fine. I put up 4kgs of LR & pure LS (aragonite).

My Questions Are :

1) What else do I need to put into my tank?Maybe another 6 or 7 kg. rock.

2) Should I remove the hitchhikers from the LR? They came out from the Rock holes yesterday.. 3small crabs, small cerith snails, 2 big turbo snails & couple of other tiny snails (I dont know thier names yet). I'm just wondering that they might disturb the cycle or I just leave them alone?They won't hurt the cycle. They may die or make it through the cycle. Snails are probably fine, but not knowing what the crabs are can't say if they are good long term or not.

3) I know pods & other tiny organism are beneficial to the tank esp during cycle. But they are sucked on my overhead pump and trapped in the floss filter, I saw few dead pods in there. Should I remove the floss filter? What is a better substitute filter to purify the water or just to make the water crystal clear?Nope filter floss is fine for now. Change it when it gets dirty.

4) Usually, how long it will take for a tank to finish nitrogen cycle? Considering my 4kgs LR & Aragonite. I'm so excited to put something in there but I've learned here in forum that patience is the key to success.The cycle cannot really be timed. It is complete after the ammonia and nitrites have risen then fallen to ZERO. You can verify this by doing periodic testing. As a guide only, time wise you are looking at around 6 - 8 weeks but testing is the only sure way to know.

5) Putting Zoas during the cycle is safe? or after the cycle? Definitely nothing until after the cycle.

6) Is it necessary to switch on the light 8-12hrs/day during the cycle? I bought a socket with digital timer and I set to switch on-off from 9am-9pm.You probably could run with the lights out completely during the cycle. Some leave it cycle for 4 hour per day on though in case of some photosynthetic hitchhikers.

I'm sorry If the same topics are posted in the past, I just want to clear my doubts and wish me luck! Thank you!!

I'll post my tank pix later.

Yeah let's see the pics. and :welcome: to N-R.

doctorhannibal
Yeah let's see the pics. and :welcome: to N-R.

Thank you! Appreciate your reply. I hope I will succeed on this. I will update you how's my brand new NR progress. I'll post the pix soon. :bowdown:

doctorhannibal

Heres an update of my 10days old tank..

-Added 4kgs of LR (Total of around 18lbs of LR)

-Im still searching for a better water pump for water movements, I cant find Korali in my location.. please advice if maxijet or hydor brands are good as korali and what is the advisable pump water displacement for a 12gal tank (Litres/hr).

-I'm currently using the usual overhead pump & floss filter.. any better alternative? I cant find HOB filters here, and I want an external filter to save space for my livestock. Please suggest if you have ideas in making DIY filters?

-I havent check the params yet (except for pH which is 7.9), I'm planning to check the Ammonia, NO2, NO3 after 4weeks of cycle. So far, no signs ammonia poisoning on the hitchhikers :lol: (6crabs, ceriths, stomas, un identified snails, baby pistol shrimp, worms and pods etc..) I hope they will all survive.

My goals for this new hobby

I want to learn and pass it on to others what you have taught me.

I want my tank and livestocks free from doses.

I want to make the livestocks happy & healthy.

It must be economical & effective DIY equips.

For me to succeed... Any help, advice, guidance, suggestions, criticisms are welcome. ;)

post-33109-1199398842_thumb.jpg

doctorhannibal

I am planning to make a DIY lamp for my tank, is it fine to use this type of halogen lamp? See lamp specs below. Need advice pls? is this enough for my 12g tank or overkill? I will install 4 halogen lamps.

OSRAM Decostar51 (Cool Blue)

Technical - Electrical Data

Nominal wattage (product) 50 W

Nominal voltage (product) 12 V

Technical - Light Technical Data

Colour temperature 4500 K

Luminous intensity 1200 cd

post-33109-1199473246.jpg

Archived