Cultivated Reef

davidr2340's NC24 DX...

davidr2340

Hey all,

Just thought I would say hi, as I'm new to the board. I've been reading as much as possible around here the past couple of weeks. This is one hell of a forum!!!

It's been about 8 years since my last tank. It was a pretty simple 30gal. set up. I bought my first home a few years back, and figured it's finally time to get back into this great hobby!

I decided to go with the Nano Cube 24DX from Dr.F&S, damn good price IMO, including the stand!

12-19-07019.jpg

Packaged very well, and arrived in great shape!

12-19-07020.jpg

Perfect spot for it... I can sit on the couch and watch both the tank and the TV!!! :D

12-19-07030.jpg

Damn, that light is bright, and those are just PC's.

12-19-07032.jpg

Hoping to make some calls tomorrow, and get some LR ordered. I'm NOT paying $9.99 a pound for the crap looking rock one local shop has!!!

Any advice there? I'm going to call MarineDepot, Premium Aquatics, Liveaquaria, and Pacific East Aquaculture.

Well, I'm sure I'm going to have a million newbie questions, so bear with me... ;)

David

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:welcome: For the live rock i have heard that premium aquatics has great rock. I have no personal experience with them, but i have been pretty happy with the liveaquaria rock, it is some of the cheapest i found. good luck with your tank ;)

Congrats on the new tank and :welcome: fellow beer drinker.

Edit: I think the tank should scoot over towards the bathroom door some more, so you don't put as much a creek in your neck staring at it while sitting on that couch.

Congrats on the new tank and :welcome: fellow beer drinker.

Edit: I think the tank should scoot over towards the bathroom door some more, so you don't put as much a creek in your neck staring at it while sitting on that couch.

LOL!

It would bug the hell out of me being off center though... :mellow:

:lol:

Put a nice little table on the right of it so it won't look so off centered then. Plus a table will also be very helpful when working in the tank so you don't have to keep walking across the room with dripping arms to put things down or pick things up or bending down to utilize the floor straining your back. B)

Put a nice little table on the right of it so it won't look so off centered then. Plus a table will also be very helpful when working in the tank so you don't have to keep walking across the room with dripping arms to put things down or pick things up or bending down to utilize the floor straining your back. B)

I agree

FyrFighter2004

Im jealous, I wont be getting mine for about a week, we can be cycle buddies lol. Looks good, and good choice of beverage by the way. Are you planning on doing any mods?

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com :)

I got my NC24 2 years ago and still have it setup, though it has been through multiple transformations (Only tank #1 was with the stock PC's):

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=139876&hl=

I gotta agree with Premium Aquatics, they have nice rock.

Some things to look into before adding anything:

Replace the stock pump with a Maxijet 900 or Maxijet 1200.

Go to www.nanotuners.com and order the "Moonlight Fix", that way the moonlights can be controlled by themselves, right now they share the same ballast as the stock lights.

Post your questions here and keep it as a running log of your progress.

Good Luck

12-19-07032.jpg

:welcome: I think you are gonna like that tank. Incidentally, that spot there where the tank is now along the wall looks like the perfect place for a 40g breeder hehehe....

Hmmm, not a bad idea bro!

Im jealous, I wont be getting mine for about a week, we can be cycle buddies lol. Looks good, and good choice of beverage by the way. Are you planning on doing any mods?

Sounds like a plan! Like colinadam suggested, upgrade the stock pump with a MJ 900 or 1200, and the LED Moonlight fix from Nanotuners!

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com :)

I got my NC24 2 years ago and still have it setup, though it has been through multiple transformations (Only tank #1 was with the stock PC's):

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=139876&hl=

I gotta agree with Premium Aquatics, they have nice rock.

Some things to look into before adding anything:

Replace the stock pump with a Maxijet 900 or Maxijet 1200.

Go to www.nanotuners.com and order the "Moonlight Fix", that way the moonlights can be controlled by themselves, right now they share the same ballast as the stock lights.

Post your questions here and keep it as a running log of your progress.

Good Luck

Thanks bro! I was curious if installing that Moonlight fix is pretty easy... I hope it is!!!

I called Premium Aquatics today, they're the highest priced so far. Quite a bit higher! We'll see. Right now I'm leaning toward 32lbs of Lalo from Marine Depot for $185.00 shipped, or 25lbs of the Fusion from Pacific East Aquaculture. I won't be placing the order 'till after X-mas, so I have some time to think it over!

:welcome: I think you are gonna like that tank. Incidentally, that spot there where the tank is now along the wall looks like the perfect place for a 40g breeder hehehe....

Thanks, I think I'm going to like the tank as well. If not, I can always upgrade... ;)

Here's a quick question... Will it hurt to put the live sand in the tank a week or so before I have any live rock in there? X-mas is kind of getting in the way of shipping, so I'll probably have my live rock a week from tomorrow.

Thanks all!!!

FyrFighter2004
Hmmm, not a bad idea bro!

Sounds like a plan! Like colinadam suggested, upgrade the stock pump with a MJ 900 or 1200, and the LED Moonlight fix from Nanotuners!

Thanks bro! I was curious if installing that Moonlight fix is pretty easy... I hope it is!!!

I called Premium Aquatics today, they're the highest priced so far. Quite a bit higher! We'll see. Right now I'm leaning toward 32lbs of Lalo from Marine Depot for $185.00 shipped, or 25lbs of the Fusion from Pacific East Aquaculture. I won't be placing the order 'till after X-mas, so I have some time to think it over!

Thanks, I think I'm going to like the tank as well. If not, I can always upgrade... ;)

Here's a quick question... Will it hurt to put the live sand in the tank a week or so before I have any live rock in there? X-mas is kind of getting in the way of shipping, so I'll probably have my live rock a week from tomorrow.

Thanks all!!!

To my knowledge, no. I cant think of any reason it would be beneficial either. But i havent set my tank up wither so what do i know. :o

You also cannot always trust people shipping LR to. Do the traveling yourself and pick them out. My local LFS has beautiful LR for 4.99 per lb. Lucky me. =]

My .02, I bought LR from Premium and although it was nice I wouldnt do it again. I would rather pick them out myself then you can see what you are getting and imagine in your head how you think they will fit. Welcome and good luck!

You also cannot always trust people shipping LR to. Do the traveling yourself and pick them out. My local LFS has beautiful LR for 4.99 per lb. Lucky me. =]

Yes, you are lucky! Both local shops near me (within a hour) want $9.99/lb... A little steep IMO! Although, I called one of those shops to ask a question, and he said they have some smaller pieces that are on clearance @ $3-4.00/lb! I'm going to go down there in the morning and see what I can find! Hopefully I can luck out, and they are nice rocks I can use!!!

have you tried http://marcorocks.com/

i havent used them myself but when i set up a larger tank, im gunna try them out

Thanks bro, I'll check 'em out!

Obsessed Reefer
I was very happy with Premium Aquatics when I purchased my first LR. SH

HOLY $H1T!!! He's back....

Sorry for that. Live Aquaria has beautiful live rock, and so does premium aquatic. I guess its just prices.

FyrFighter2004

I have a few lfs in the Dallas are all asking around $7/lb for LR. So i guess im on the lucky side. I may have missed it but what kind of sand are you going to be adding?

I have a few lfs in the Dallas are all asking around $7/lb for LR. So i guess im on the lucky side. I may have missed it but what kind of sand are you going to be adding?

Not quite sure yet on the sand... Any suggestions?

I am planning on 20 lbs of Carib sea arag alive Fiji pink. I've heard good things and I love the color

That does look nice!

Today, the idea of using black sand popped into my head... Great, another decision to try and make!!!

Obsessed Reefer

Just use plain old Carib Sea Bagged sand. Black sand looks nice and all, for about two minutes, then it gets covered in dust and such, and it's a pita to keep clean.

Just use plain old Carib Sea Bagged sand. Black sand looks nice and all, for about two minutes, then it gets covered in dust and such, and it's a pita to keep clean.

Thanks! Think I'll just stick with the light stuff then!!!

Archived