Top Shelf Aquatics

Brennan's Aquapod 24

BrennanAP24

Hey Guys just got my new Aquapod 24 gal on tuesday, im pretty excited about it. This is my first saltwater tank so right now I am a total newbie. I have been reading a lot of peoples threads on here and have already learned a ton. This seems like a great site, I will be updating this thread as my tank progresses.

So heres what I have so far.

post-32644-1196547751_thumb.jpg post-32644-1196548139_thumb.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Added the water and salt on Wednesday and put in my Eheim Jager 100w heater. On Thursday I went to the LFS and bought 20lbs of Fiji LR. I added the sand and rock that night. My tank was extremely couldy after adding the sand to the point where I couldn't even see the rock I was putting in. Probably should of used a better method of putting it in, oh well. So Friday morning when most of it has settled I rearranged my rock. Took me several trys to get something I liked, still not sure about it tho might change it later.Heres what it looks like.

post-32644-1196548969_thumb.jpg

post-32644-1196549266_thumb.jpg

Side View

So Im starting to see signs of life in my tank, like litte feather dusters (I think) but there is something growing on one of my rocks. Not sure what it is or if I should remove it? Like I said im a newb at this, can someone identify this.

Couple of pics, its the yellow looking thing

post-32644-1196549521_thumb.jpg post-32644-1196561961_thumb.jpg

Sweet Start!

My biggest recommendation....take it SLOW. You sometimes have to fight the urge to buy stuff and add it too the tank too quickly. I waited off many months before I even considered any fish, but I did get tons of zoo's, softies, etc. You will also experience algae blooms, first brown, than either red, green, or a mix of both. No need to fear, they are common and pretty much unavoidable. Your tank will clear through them.

I was a newbie in the same shoes as you last september, and I've learned a ton and still haven't even scratched the surface of this great hobby. These forums are definitely the place to learn.

If you want to check out my thread as I made progress you can search my thread here, or go over to my ReefCentral post since my thread on Nano-Reef and the pics got thrown off when they updated the forum script. Here is a link to my thread:Saltman123's Thread

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Update - Day 3

Ok so I went to the LFS and bought a few things. I tested my pH and it was at 7.8 so I bought some pH buffer to get it up to 8.2-8.3.

post-32644-1196632207_thumb.jpg

I also bought some stuff for the filtration. I got rid of the bio balls and ceramic media based on what I have read, I also removed the bottom blue sponge. I bought some polyfiber and carbon filter pads from the store (this seems easier to use then filter floss stuff). I cut my blue sponge in half and placed a layer of the carbon pad and a layer of the polyfiber pad on top. I am using the blue sponge just to hold the pads in place until I can construct some sort of shelf for them. I will also be adding some LR rubble in a media bag and putting it in chamber one.Please let me know if my setup will be good or not, also how often should I replace the filter pads?

post-32644-1196633384_thumb.jpg

post-32644-1196633457_thumb.jpg post-32644-1196633486_thumb.jpg

Update - Day 4

I added another piece of LR to my aquascape, it fit in nicely on top of the others. Looks much better now.

post-32644-1196733319_thumb.jpg post-32644-1196733428_thumb.jpg

So I tested my parameters today, SG 1.022, pH 8.0 (added more buffer again today), but my Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate are all still 0. Is this normal?? Shouldn't my cycle have started by now, do I need to do something to kick start the cycle. Some advice would be helpful, thanks.

It is possible that you will not have a cycle, IF the LR and sand you purchased from the LFS was already cycled and transported home properly. Really doesnt matter yet, now is a good time to practice maintaining pH and SG in your tank for a week or two. SG looks ok, I usually try to keep mine at 1.024, but pH is a bit low still. Regular water changes will help stabilize things.

The tank looks great so far, just take your time. I also recommend using local reefers for your starter frags, instead of paying $30 + for a frag of zoas or mushrooms. Sign up at frags.org and look for locals trying to sell things or, better yet, find someone on here by posting a thread for noob frags.

Because this is our first S/W tank and to error on the side of "better to be safe then sorry"

As a precaution and to be sure about your cycle I would recommend putting a small 1/2"sq piece of uncooked shrimp from the grocery store into the tank. Any left over shrimp, cook and eat. LOL

As this decays it will cause an ammonia spike which will start the nitrogin cycle. If you do not get any elevated readings in a week or so then you should be ok. Doing this will assure you that when you add fish or other creatures to your system it will be able to support them without putting them in harms way.

Just keep in mind your biological system is only as big as your biological load. So as you starting adding creatures that will add to the load you will need to give the system a chance to catch up and increase its ability to convert the ammonia and nitrites to nitrates.

Update - Day 7

Alright so I tested my parameters again today, heres what they are:

S.G. 1.024

pH 8.2

Temp 79

My ammonia and nitrites are still 0, my nitrates are now ~5-10.

The diatom bloom started around three days ago, I think I might add a partial CUC this weekend, do you guys think this would be ok?

Personally, I'd give it one more week to be sure you're not going to see a cycle. Patience pays off in the long run.

^^ I agree. Nothing sucks more than watching something you just paid good money for waste away b/c you weren't patient enough.

Update:

Yesterday I went to the LFS and picked up part of my CUC. I got...

11 Tiny Blue Leg Hermits

2 Scarlet Hermits

6 Nassarius Snails

5 Margarita Snails

1 Mexican Turbo Snail

So far everything is doing well, they have already cleaned up half the algae in my tank. Going to wait another week to get a cleaner shrimp.

My Parameters Are:pH 8.2

S.G. 1.023

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate ~5

Here are a few pics

post-32644-1197345957_thumb.jpg post-32644-1197345998_thumb.jpg

post-32644-1197346156_thumb.jpg post-32644-1197346142_thumb.jpg

Update:

Yesterday was the grand opening of a new LFS so I went there and bought my first corals. I got a small xenia, and a single red mushroom, I also got my cleaner shrimp aswell.

Here are pics

post-32644-1197848290_thumb.jpg post-32644-1197848656_thumb.jpg post-32644-1197848686_thumb.jpg

So Today, after seeing that everything was doing well and my parameters were all 0 now. I went back to my regular LFS and bought my first fish...an ocellaris clown (so original I know :) ) I also got a very nice large rock full of zoas. The clown is doing very well right now, he is going crazy over all the pods, he is non-stop eating them.

Here are some pics

post-32644-1197849166_thumb.jpg

post-32644-1198123099_thumb.jpg

Archived