SaltCritters.com

Teresa's 10

varanus37

So when I won Harry the hairy crab I decided to set up this 1/2 10 gal. out of my existing stuff. The only new thing is the Gray Coast sand. The water and rock all came from my 55. 2 of the rocks in there are actually skeletons which I like alot. The bubble coral skeleton came with an order of LR a year ago and the other is a chalice that didn't make it due to a shipping problem. Both the GSP and the palys were just spreaders from other rocks so in they went.

Its got 48w of 50/50 PC on it and an HOB filter for circulation which is moving the water pretty good. Might have to change up the GSP as its kinda gettin hammered a bit where it is. I've got some tiny snails that breed like mad in the 55 and a group of them are getting switched over tonight. Might toss in some tiny hermits I've got as well. For right now thats about it for this tank though. Just gonna let it do its thing and put in softie chunks and frags as I get them or make them.

Living room view (its on the bar)

DSC_0398-1.jpg

Kitchen view (heres the ghetto side)

DSC_0399-1.jpg

That skelton on the right will probably get moved so its "back" is against the corner. Not sure if I like it being visible or not.

So thats it,

Bill

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not really 5 gallons -_- . Just messin'. I got it from glasscages.com. I didn't use the website, I used to go to every STL reptile show and they were always there. I originally picked it up from him then. Its prolly been 3 yrs. Hes got tons of stuff and his prices are good IMO. I like the cut-off look of it and I've always wanted a black sand tank. I know its gray but you know what I meant, LOL.

Bill

PetSmart of all places. I've seen it advertised online as well. Its SeaChem's Gray Coast. Not like the Tahitian moon sand at all. When you rinse that I've been told its very fine and smooth. This stuff ends up just like regular LS you'd get thats white or off-white. Not weirdly smooth, just feels like sand. You do have to rinse it first though and I still got some couldiness. Gone in an hour tops though with the filter running. I was told PetCo has it as well but my local one didn't. I've been told that other black sands don't act as PH buffers or lack those specific compounds in the sand but that this sand does not have that problem. Time will tell but all my params are fine. You think a panda goby would be ok in there or no? I'm trying to think of tiny fish and I saw lgreen's thread with panda's listed as being suited to pico's.

Bill

Oh yeah, that would look sweet. Of course, you're talking to someone with a pair of gbg's in a 5.5! :D

Thanks for the sand info...I really think I like it even better than the true black--at any rate, it seems it would show less detritus and such...Looking forward to a top-down shot that shows the sand as background.

I like the way your tank is visible from both sides. I am always sure there's a lot of neat stuff going on in back of mine where I can't see anything!

--Diane

Actually since you mentioned the 2 sided thing...my conchs in my 55 had babies! AND the only reason I know is because I was looking from the living room side and saw a weird snail, had my wife go look from the kitchen side and its got a proboscis just like the conchs in my 55 and is an exact mini-replica! So glad I can just run around the tank and see whats going on, LOL.

I'm trying to figure out how to light my tank for a top-down shot to be honest. I'm thinking my wife will be holding lights...or taking pictures while I hold lights, LOL. Yeah, I really dig panda gobies and your tank is definitely inspiring to those of us who want to keep tiny fish.

Bill

Actually since you mentioned the 2 sided thing...my conchs in my 55 had babies! AND the only reason I know is because I was looking from the living room side and saw a weird snail, had my wife go look from the kitchen side and its got a proboscis just like the conchs in my 55 and is an exact mini-replica! So glad I can just run around the tank and see whats going on, LOL.

I'm trying to figure out how to light my tank for a top-down shot to be honest. I'm thinking my wife will be holding lights...or taking pictures while I hold lights, LOL. Yeah, I really dig panda gobies and your tank is definitely inspiring to those of us who want to keep tiny fish.

Bill

Do you have head room over your tank? By the time I get my light over mine There is no room. Kitchen cupboards overhead & all that. I do love seeing both sides. I have some of Caesar777's goodies in it & we love watching the tank in the kitchen as well as the family room. Weetie's 21 month little guy found he could climb up on the bar stool & check out the tank. NERVOUS!!!

DSCF2656.jpg

(He likes peanut M&M's too!)

Wow! Sweet find! And very cool that your conchs are reproducing and at least some of the offspring are surviving!

Can you not turn your hood sideways and balance it long enough to get a shot or two from above? I have trouble with those myself, actually, especially since my tank's under the kitchen cabinets. :angry:

Thanks for the kind words about my tank, here and on my thread. It's been a real learning experience but sure fun...I was just in the kitchen and my female gbg was out demanding food (I feed at night and she knows it.) The male is always guarding his nest, but he'll come out when he smells food.

Interesting that you've essentially gone an order of magnitude smaller in size. I'll bet you'll be noticing all sorts of tiny phenomena that got overshadowed in your 55. :)

--Diane

I see BibleSue's gotten a reply in before this one--same cabinet problem, too. :) Sue, those are the CUTEST grandchildren ever! (I've seen all your pics--here, anyway.)

NICE!! My daughter is 15 months old and a complete monkey. If I leave a kitchen chair near the bar shes up it and looking at the tank. More often than not shes trying to reach inside the tank or remove the lights or some other horrible idea, LOL. She does love helping with top-off and water changes on the 55 though. Shes also a big fan of testing. So many tubes to steal.

Bill

I see BibleSue's gotten a reply in before this one--same cabinet problem, too. :) Sue, those are the CUTEST grandchildren ever! (I've seen all your pics--here, anyway.)

Thanks! I've got 6, all ages almost 5 & under from only 2 of my 5 kids, & there's not a funny looking one in the bunch! That's a proud grandma talking!!! :lol:

Yeah I'm really excited about the mini-conchs. It is crazy to have my 55 right there and my lil 4.2 sitting on the bar. I like to just tank-stare anyway so picking out new stuff is a daily occurrence for me, LOL.

Bill

I can get some pics of the corals, sure. Its really just some GSP in the corner and some plain'ol polyps in the center. Other than that its coral skeletons, LOL. I'll try to get pics later today.

Bill

So I moved my bubble and my green striped mushie into Harry's house. I think it looks nice and the bubble is extended wonderfully to feed. Should be kewl when the mushie attaches to the chalice skeleton and hopefully spits out some babies.

A shot to show the bubbles placement

DSC_0424.jpg

My now happy bubble

DSC_0426.jpg

Green stripe mushie healing on a chalice skeleton

DSC_0422.jpg

Bill

Very nice! Everything displays so well in that tank. And I'm still oohing and aahing over that sand!

I think I'll have to win a crab so I can justify a new tank.. :rolleyes:

--Diane

I think things just look kewler in this tank because its so small. You focus in on what I'm photographing or talking about because there's less in the field of view to distract you. Another plus to picos is that you can physically be closer to the subject you're photographing. It doesn't seem like much but my 55 is 13" deep and 18" tall. This tank is 6" tall and a little more than that deep. You can just get right in there to shoot. I'm going to leave things be in here for a bit so the mushie can heal and everyone can get adjusted. Plus, I'm still tinkering with the 'scape in the 55. Whenever another addition to this tank occurs I think I'm going to try and attach a few loose zoas to that bubble coral skeleton. I think that will look sweet if it grows out.

Thanks for lookin'

Bill

Glasscages.....hmmm...

Anyone thinking of ordering a tank from Glasscages....

Just click the link below...and that all Im gonna say about that.

Whoa, that's quite the story!!!

Good thing Bill got this a long time ago and didn't special order it...tho it sounds as if they were just as awful back then, too...

--D

Wow was that an epic bad deal. I've never ordered anything from them and the guy at the shows was always nice to me. That really sucks, I wouldn't order from them either after hearing that. Mine is so nicely put together too, thats such a bum deal. Maybe things have gotten bad since I dealt with them or maybe I just got lucky. Sorry you had such a horrible experience with them.

Bill

Archived