Cultivated Reef

Third Times the Charm

Seanfg89

Long story short, I ended up having to move my tank once again, but this time it has to be somewhat permanent since the house its in is now ours and not some strangers or the military's.

Tank Specs:

10g AGA

20" 150w Sunpod w/ Phoenix 14k

50w Heater

2 x Koralia Nanos at 240gph each

~25 lbs. Live Rock

Arag Alive Sand (can't remember which type exactly)

Very poorly done background, I'm working on it.

Livestock:

Blue Leg Hermits, Astrea and Nassarius Snails for CUC

Orange Firefish - Andy

Six-Line Wrasse - Pam

Crocea Clam - The Commodore

Lots of Zoos and Palys

Platygyra Brain

Florida Ricordeas

Rock Anemone - Stanley

Candy Cane

Mushrooms

GSP

Xenia (the kinda that spins when it pulses)

Frogspawn

Hundreds of Feather Dusters

And now for pictures...

FTS

PA070136.jpg

Rics

PA070126.jpg

Brain

PA070122.jpg

Clam (he's bright blue if viewed head-on but is electric green if viewed from above)

PA070118.jpg

Crappy shots of my zoas

PA070106.jpg

PA070113.jpg

PA070112.jpg

PA070110.jpg

PA070111.jpg

Frogspawn

PA070117.jpg

Andy the Firefish

PA070120.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh please, my camera skills are awful at best :P , I usually take 100+ pictures before I settle on 5 that are presentable. But seriously, thanks for those very kind words, I do try really hard and every once in a while I get some really nice pictures. Anyways, the camera is a Olympus SP-500UZ, nothing special by a long shot.

Thank you everyone else too for the praise, I try to keep my tank looking nice and I hope it shows because compared to a lot of the tanks I see here, I don't think I stand a chance.

I'm so excited I just have to share, I got this bad boy at Petco for $25, labeled as a Mushroom Rock. At least 100 polyps. :D

PA080102.jpg

PA080101.jpg

Not particulary happy right now but the most brilliant coloration I've ever seen on a Yuma in person. Bright green with a purple body.

PA080100.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
seanfg89 Amazing shot of the firefish. Wish i had those kind of camera tanking skillz.

Thanks for the compliment but all I did was set the shutter speed really high, nothing really special. Anyways this tank has been discontinued due to the time constraints of school and normal life. I have one more shipment going out Monday and then all I will have left is the live rock which will be going into a 10"x10"x10" acrylic cube with back chambers and everything built by Creative Concepts here at N-R.com.

If you are looking for a custom arylic tank I cannot reccomend this guy enough, his prices are extremely low and he built my tank in a single evening. Its on its way now and I should get it sometime this coming week. He sent me pictures of the finished tank and I was astonished at how professional it looked and how it was exactly the way I wanted it, although he did make a couple small changes but were for the better (I never said I was good at designing tanks :P)

Thanks for all the compliments, I already know how this new tank is going to be set-up. I want to go for a Florida bio-tope type setup with the majority of livestock originating from around Florida and the Carribean areas. This will include an O. Havenensis Mantis Shrimp, several different Rock and Rock Flower Anemones, Photosynthetic Gorgonians, possibly an Upside Down Jellyfish, Christmas Tree Worms and Cluster Dusters, Nano Sized Serpent Stars, and a handful of snails and hermits to both act as a food source for

Mr. Bojangles (the Mantis :D ) and as a CUC. I might also try some of the more aggressive types of shrimps and crabs such as Arrow Crabs and Coral Banded Shrimp since this particular species of Mantis runs on the smaller size (<3").

The new equipment will consist of 2x18w Current USA PC lighting, 50w Stealth Heater, and a Mini-Jet pump providing the main source of flow for the tank, operating as a return pump for the back chambers. I will run Chaeto in one of the back chambers as a semi-fuge setup and will run filter-floss, carbon, and other medias when they are needed.

i agree. plan on keeping this one for awhile? lol

Actually I do, or at least I hope to. I know it looks bad, the way I change tanks more times that I change underwear, but way back when I did a 12g NC, that was my first nano tank and first sw tank for years. I was really trying to find the right size tank and everything and found that a 10g was too much room and too much maintinence for me and found a 2.5g was too small and cramped for me. I also found that I loved the back chambers and falsewall systems of All-In-Ones but hated the limited expandability. I also found that I hated the utility-ish look of basic AGA 10g's and 2.5g's but loved the blank pallete kind of feel. I think with this custom built cube, I get the best part of everything I want. Its going to be approx 4.33 gallons and look nice and spacious inside while remaining a more manageable overall size. Its also going to have the falsewall and rear-chambers I enjoy for hiding equipment and plumbing but also be completely empty so I can decide what pump and how to plumb and arrange everything the way I want.

Also, who can argue with the aesthetics of a rimless, braceless cube tank?

My new tank arrived today and my new light, supplies, and other plumbing pieces should arrive tomorrow. I also contacted Mr. Ken from SeaLifeInc and he is going to aid me in procuring an O. Havenensis Mantis for this tank since this Mantis is common off of Florida. I also picked up a bag of live sand from the Carribean and I will be using rock from this old 10g tank since its all still really good and comes in nice sized pieces.

I also plan on ordering my first round of gorgonians and rock anemones this week as well as a CUC. I'm also really contemplating an Upside Down Jellyfish but have to research them a little more. So stay tuned, more to come.

First round of livestock went in today including ~9 Blue Leg Hermits and 2 Rock Flower Anemones, both of which are quite common in the Florida/Carribean waters. I only took closeups of one of the anemones as the other is having quite the time getting situated and informed me will not be ready for his photo shoot until he can get it together. I also spoke with Mr. Nedimyer over at SeaLifeInc.com and he has informed that he does in fact have an O. Havenensis Mantis and he will set the purchase up sometime later today or tomorrow so I am really excited for that. I thought the hardest part of this would be obtaining a particular species of mantis since they never seem to show up anywhere unless you don't want them and then they're everywhere.

Also quick show of hands, would it be worth it to try and see if an Arrow Crab could manage to get along with a Mantis? I figure since arrows are relatively larger than this species of mantis and don't pose that nice of a target (mostly legs, and thin ones at that), the mantis would avoid it and just stick to eating hermits and snails.

Also last but not least, this tank was custom made by Mr. Jeff Butler ("creative concepts" here at N-R.com) for an absolutely unbelieveable price and in a SINGLE night. The quality is terrific and the build is very professional looking and it was built exactly the way I wanted it. I cannot reccomend him enough and he will be the first persom I go to whenever I want a new tank.

These pics are actinic only btw, to help the anemone adjust since they were very close to the lights at the store.

PB160023.jpg

PB160026.jpg

PB160024.jpg

PB160027.jpg

PB160025.jpg

PB160020.jpg

PB160021.jpg

Archived