inTank Media Baskets

Lazarus

c est ma

This is for everyone who's just gotten hermit crabs and never witnessed a molt before. :) It's completely understandable that one's first response is "OMG, it's dead!" (or, " 'X' must have killed it!").

Yesterday my scarlet hc molted in a convenient place to get some fairly nice pics...

1:43pm--the 'OMG it's dead' stage:

dscn6980largecw1.jpg

Boy, that top shell sure looks empty:

dscn6981largewq1.jpg

And this sure looks like a dead crab--"meaty parts" and all:

dscn6985largebn3.jpg

(Just a perfect molt, of course. Though we take molting for granted, this characteristic of arthropods is amazing. Look at the perfectly detailed abdominal appendages exoskeleton in that shot!)

8:43pm. Lazarus:

dscn6988largeqq0.jpg

dscn6993largeth3.jpg

(Note color difference between fresh crab & old exoskeleton. The newly molted crab will get lighter and brighter as time passes...)

dscn6998largeby5.jpg

One more shot of the molt:

dscn6995largezj8.jpg

Interestingly, this crab has been molting and keeping the same shell for quite a while, now. (Note--not that they change shells at the time that they molt!) I'm thinking he's full-grown and has found a nice heavy shell that he likes, so he's "happy."

Also, he molted right there--on top of the rock, in the back, next to the glass. Usually this one and my other--a Mexican red-legged--tend to disappear w/in the LR at molting time...but fairly often they just grow inactive for a day or two and then molt more or less in plain sight. I suppose this means my tank doesn't have any serious predatory threats to them...

--Diane

Thanks, all!

That's awesome. I like his shell too, he's built like a tank :P

Yeah, what has happened to these shells that look like they're covered in cement? :) Are they showing dead layers of coralline or something? At any rate, this is one of those shells that look way too heavy for a hermit to manage...though of course, he does just fine.

(Tho at times he's the 'bull in the china shop'... :D )

--Diane

Thanks, all!

Yeah, what has happened to these shells that look like they're covered in cement? :) Are they showing dead layers of coralline or something? At any rate, this is one of those shells that look way too heavy for a hermit to manage...though of course, he does just fine.

(Tho at times he's the 'bull in the china shop'... :D )

--Diane

I think its time for you to build a website. All those other ID/WTH?!?!? websites would be put to shame by your photodocumentation skillz ;)

I think its time for you to build a website. All those other ID/WTH?!?!? websites would be put to shame by your photodocumentation skillz ;)

+1, I agree

great shots Diane!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Andrea

Aw, thanks, you folks are way too kind!

Thing is, I just have my humble little 5.5g...can't add much to it...so instead of new stuff, I just spend a lot of time looking at the old! (And it's funny how often you can notice something new about something old. :) )

--D

Archived