Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

[34g CADLIGHTS] Lilrascal's Tank

Lilrascal

As some of you may have heard I started my sw experience with a 14g Biocube. It developed a crack in the plastic, and slow leak. I was looking for an excuse to upgrade, and jumped on the 34G Cadlights system. I did order the Signature series with beechwood stand from Ken at Ocean Reeflections. Couldn't more highly recommend Ken. I did have some initial issues with my tank, but they were promptly taken care of by Eddie. My light fixture arrived DOA, and the MH would not fire. Also the glass canopy would not fit properly. I contacted Ken and Eddie, and they promised to send out new ones. The next day the stand arrives, and it was black, not the beechwood I had ordered. Needless to say I was bummed. They also sent a new one of those out, but needless to say it was a hassle packing things back up and shipping them back. Overall I was pleased with Eddie's customer service, though I am still waiting on the glass canopy.

The only two real disappointments with the tank is the LED moonlights, and the Light fixture mounting brackets. I added the currentUSA moonlights, as others have. I was nervous about heat issues with the wiring, and did not want to run the wires under the MH bulb reflector (though this seems to be working out for others). I choose pull one end off the light fixture (easily unscrews), and run the wiring in the inside lip of the fixture. Because the wiring was not long enough, I just spliced in some wire from an old transformer I had. I also did not want to drill a hole in the endcap to run the plug through, therefore I cut the wire, slid it through the slot, and re-spliced. I am real happy with the mod. The second issue, as others have stated is with the light fixture attachment. I had to pieces of felt pad to make the legs grip the tank better. I also just set the light on top of the assembly rather than sliding it into the hinges, since it wouldn't stay propped up. I just take that light off the tank, and rest it on the floor if I am working on the tank.

Unlike others, I am happy with the stand. I like the custom look, real streamlined. As others have said, it is real comparable to IKEA type stuff, though slightly beefier. Would be nice to have a place to set items while working on the tank, but that would take away from the overall look.

Here are some of the things I have done:

1. CurrentUSA moonlight mod.

2. Added two Tunze nanostream 6025's on 3 hour alternating intervals.

3. Chamber 1 full of live rock.

4 Not using supplied skimmer. Instead using a Tunze nano 9002 skimmer. It is attached to a reefpack 200, which contains a bag of chemipure elite. Both Items in Chamber 2 with UV sterilizer, which I have not used yet.

5. Chamber 3 sand and Chaeto.

6. I am also not using the Fuge light supplied. I instead am using the nanotuners LED fuge light. It was left over from my BC14. I velcroed it to the back. This way I get less light spillover, as it is on a reverse light cycle.

7. Aquacontroller JR running all aspects of the tank. Could not imagine not having one of these.

8. Tunze osmolater for ATO. Love it!!

Below are some pictures:

post-25800-1190065592_thumb.jpg

post-25800-1190065603_thumb.jpg

post-25800-1190065610_thumb.jpg

post-25800-1190065619_thumb.jpg

post-25800-1190065626_thumb.jpg

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

Lilrascal

I love it! It looks fantastic. Very nice mods.Everything looks really neat.How long has that tank been up and running?

Thanks.

It has been up and running for about a month now. Most of the live rock was tranfered from my old tank. I also seeded the sand with some of the sand from my old tank. Everything is looking real good in my tank. My zoa's really like the new lighting!!

Thanks.

It has been up and running for about a month now. Most of the live rock was tranfered from my old tank. I also seeded the sand with some of the sand from my old tank. Everything is looking real good in my tank. My zoa's really like the new lighting!!

Your tank looks great. I was thinking about buying a different skimmer as well. It looks like the Tunze fits very good in the second chamber?

Keep us posted on your progress and thanks for the pics.

Your tank looks great. I was thinking about buying a different skimmer as well. It looks like the Tunze fits very good in the second chamber?

Keep us posted on your progress and thanks for the pics.

Yes it fits in there, but was a little tight due to the reefpack, and the magnets that the two use. I had to take off the surfce skimmer part of the reefpack, but that was no big deal since the CAD tank has a surface skimmer section.

I spent a long time debating the 9002/reefpack vs the 9010, but I like the idea of a place to put the chemipure, and the extra flow.

• 2 weeks later...

i have one tunze 6025... my plan was to purchase another one and put it on redseamax wave master pro.. but thinking it might be way too much water flow. sand blowing and such and not being able to keep ricordas. whats your feeling on this? is there any corals that you wont be able to keep with your waterflow?

my plan be was to put my existing tunze 6025 center back wall pointing to center front. since the new koralia nanos are out (smaller, 3w vs 6w, and 250gph) buy 2 of them and place them top front left and right pointing to center of back wall. would be same price as one tunze. but now have 4 different currents .

i have one tunze 6025... my plan was to purchase another one and put it on redseamax wave master pro.. but thinking it might be way too much water flow. sand blowing and such and not being able to keep ricordas. whats your feeling on this? is there any corals that you wont be able to keep with your waterflow?

my plan be was to put my existing tunze 6025 center back wall pointing to center front. since the new koralia nanos are out (smaller, 3w vs 6w, and 250gph) buy 2 of them and place them top front left and right pointing to center of back wall. would be same price as one tunze. but now have 4 different currents .

I have 2 6025 and i dont feel its too much flow. I have one on both sides. They're connected to my acjr. and alternate every 20 minutes. It all depends on how they're positioned. Ive been able to have both running without sand blowing everywhere.

If both are on at the same time it is too much flow. Sand starts blowing etc. I have mine on a 3 hour cycle. Tunze reccommends a minimum 15 minute cycle.

Hey nice tank!! I have the 25g and im looking for a skimmer..i noticed you said you didnt use the supplied one if you still have it and want to make some extra money and sell it i would buy it....just a thought....

• 3 months later...

Archived