Cultivated Reef

Grandegixxer's 40 Breeder Frag Tank

GrandeGixxer

GrandeGixxer

So, I have been working on my new tank for a little while now. Here is a rough sketch of what my first ideas were to do.

NewTank1.jpg

NewTank2.jpg

My plans have changed a little bit, but ony with the plumbing and some dimensions. Here is the start of the stand.

stand4.jpg

stand1.jpg

stand3.jpg

As you can see, the stand is built with 2x4s and being skinned with maple plywood.

Here it is a little further into the build.

DSC01720.jpg

DSC01722.jpg

Here I finally have 3 of the 5 doors on it. I also started the framework for the canopy out of 1x4. Notice that I got the trim installed along the bottom of the stand.

DSC01743.jpg

I got the main tank yesterday from the Petco $1 per gallon sale. The canopy fit like a glove.

DSC01744.jpg

Today I decided that I needed to get the sump before the prices went back to normal. They didn't have a 30 Breeder in stock, so I went for another 40 Breeder.

DSC01746.jpg

DSC01745.jpg

The top of the stand is going to have a 6" shelf around it that is topped with ceramic tile.

I am planning on running 2x250 MH with 2x39w T5 for Actinic. It should be a fun journey. I am just working as I go. Trying to make sure I don't spend too much at a time. The wife still has to pay the bills and all.

If you have any suggestions, let me know. When I get the time, I will update how the plumbing will be.

Thanks for looking, Joe.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
crazinezz978

looking great, sound like this one is ognna be nice

although, i would think a 2x250w with actinics is totally overkill for a 40B. With its shallow height, you would probably only need one 250w with actinics or 2x150w.

just my .02

GrandeGixxer

I have thought about that, but the 250 ballasts I am going to use are cheaper the anything 150 I can find. 1x250 is not going to cover. I will have too many shadows.

crazinezz978

i had one 250w on my 40B. It was about 6-7 inches above the water and i had no dark corners. Also, the actinic supplementation definetely will make sure there are no dark corners

I got everything cut and siliconed. I had a small snafu while going across the bottom of the weir. I tried to go too fast and took a small knick out of it. It will be ok though, I am going to have a piece of black acrylic covering the whole back so it will not be visable. Here are the pics.

DSC01749.jpg

DSC01751.jpg

DSC01754.jpg

DSC01755.jpg

DSC01756.jpg

Here is is with the trim back on. I think it is going to work out awesome.

Here is some pics of the manifold system. It is just cut, not glued yet. I think it should be plenty of circulation for the tank. will also have a return from the sump.

DSC01762.jpg

DSC01763.jpg

DSC01764.jpg

DSC01765.jpg

That is probably the most work I will get done this week. Maybe a few little minor things, but I am once again, broke. This hobby makes sure of that though, right?

• 2 weeks later...

I got another sheet of plywood tonight to finish the stand and canopy. I need to get the hinges for the other 2 doors, and the trim. I have to get some trim specially cut, it may take a little while. I also got the cement board for the shelf, 2 sample pieces of tile, and the hardware to mount it. I am hoping to have the stand and canopy done in the next week or so with some finish on it. Hopefully by the 15th of Oct I will be leak testing it and getting it in place in the house. For those of you following along, thanks. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

For the skimmer I think I have decided on the Octopus DNW-110 Recirculating skimmer. It will be fed by one of the drains from the main tank to reduce the need for 1 pump. I think that will work out awesome.

I am going tomorrow to get 2 175w mh ballasts from a local guy. I will go with this and 2x39w T5 for supplementation. I will out up pics when I get some more damn work done.

Here is what I came up with for my standpipes. I think it will work out pretty nice. They will have a cap with hole on top of them.

DSC01793.jpg

DSC01794.jpg

I may or may not get some more work done tonight. My wife is not feeling good right now. That usually slows me down a little.

I got some work done tonight despite the odds. I got the cement board cut for the shelf. Here is a pic with a sample of the tile that will go on it.

DSC01796.jpg

DSC01795.jpg

Will it hold my favorite beverage? Yes it will!

DSC01798.jpg

I got some plumbing done as well. I got a little more done, but I forgot to take pics.

DSC01797.jpg

The more I get done, the more I can't wait to get it finished. This thing is going to be awesome!

DSC01801.jpg

DSC01800.jpg

DSC01799.jpg

Here is the trim. I think that it really ties everything together. The wood that I got to make it was warped and twisted and made it really hard to get it perfect. So it isn't, but unless you get up really close, you can't tell. I think I am going to redo one of the doors You can probably see which one it is. I messed it up pretty bad. I will try to fix it, but I think that it is a done deal. Oh well.

Nope I don't have the skimmer, pumps, or lights yet. I am getting a bonus on the 1st, that is when I am going to take a little trip over to Aqua-Cave and get all of the high dollor items. My wife just said today, "spend what you need, I just want it done so I don't have to hear about it anymore." So, should I get the Reef Keeper II or the Aquacontroller Jr? LOL, J/K I want to get one of these eventually, but I don't think I can swing that right now unless I find a good used one for cheap. I have most of the stuff to get the stand and canopy done except the acrylic for the sump, and back of the tank, the epoxy for the stand, and the stuff to do the tile on the shelf. It all comes down to time at this point. I would like to get it to a point before the 1st that I can just line the inside with the epoxy, mount the acrylic in the sump/main tank, and put everything else together. I am getting close.

I didn't want to disappoint anyone tonight, so I worked late and got most of the stuff for the canopy done. It needs a lot more sanding on the trim pieces to get them to line up and look right. For the most part though, it is done. I think it turned out pretty good. The wood I got for the trim started warping and twisting so bad as soon as I started cutting it. It was almost a nightmare to work with. It definatly sucked. It was weird because the board was pretty straight before. I guess it was just the patterns of the grain and stuff, but it was terrible to work with. I know, I know, I had to have maple. Oak would have been so much easier to work with. Enough jabber, here are the pics.

DSC01805.jpg

DSC01804.jpg

Now I need to come up with something to lift the canopy for me. It is not light, and I dont have any of the lighting mounted in there yet. It probably weighs about 25 lbs right now.

Plans for the week, try to track down a plastic shop that has scrap acrylic for the sump and back of the tank. Talk the wife into letting me go buy the stuff to get the tile done on the shelf. And to get the other 2 doors mounted. That part sucks, it is a major PITA to get them to line up right. Well, have a good week everyone, I will post updates if I have any.

GrandeGixxer

Don't think that my lack of posting means that I haven't gotten any work done. I got the inside of the stand painted, I have it all sanded except the outsides of the doors(the paint is drying on the insides right now). When I get home from work tonight, I am going to put the first coat of finish on the stand and the canopy. I have all of the materials to do the tile, plumbing, and some other stuff. I have to go find somewhere to get the glass for the sump baffles. I also got the other ballast wired in and checked for the MH. Both bulbs light! I am going to try to make it over to Aqua Cave on Wednesday to get the rest of the big stuff. We are almost done! Excitement brewing!

GrandeGixxer

I will have pics up in the next couple of days. I am at a point where I have a lot of supplies, but not enough time to get the work done. When I get home tonight from work, I am going to put a coat of finish on everything. In the morning, I am going to sand it and put the final coat on it. Wednesday, I need to go and get the rest of the stuff to put it together. I might have this thing set up by this coming weekend. We will see. All of the hard stuff is done, just wrapping everything up. Once I have the finish on it and the tile work done, I will update with some pictures. Stay tuned.

GrandeGixxer

Ok, I am not where I want to be on the build, but I will go ahead and update. Here is the finished stand. In these pics, the tile isn't set, but it is set now. I have to cut a couple of pieces and grout it still though.

DSC01814.jpg

DSC01815.jpg

DSC01816.jpg

I got the lights installed in the canopy.

DSC01817.jpg

Canopy on the tank

DSC01818.jpg

DSC01819.jpg

DSC01820.jpg

Here is the background with closed loop intakes and external overflow.

DSC01820.jpg

DSC01823.jpg

Here is my plumbing. I have to redo a lot of it tomorrow because it leaks. a lot. I have never had pvc leak like this thing does. I mean I could probably put it outside in the yard and water the plants with it. Oh well, it will be fixed tomorrow, and hopefully the sump will be plumbed in. Enjoy, Joe.

DSC01824.jpg

wow looks great... how many gph is that pump? and you you think an over flow can handle that much water with out sucking air?... love that canopy... did you do those wood vents on the side... anyway beautiful work

Archived