ReefCleaners.org

Kinetic 82g

kinetic

Those are awesome dimensions...

Definitely. I'm thinking of keeping the same aquascape I have now, same amount of rocks, maybe spread them out a tad more. It's going to make everything so much roomier, more space for corals to grow.

I hate when tanks get so crowded it just makes everything so small looking. Also the wall is a good 5.5 feet wide where it will go, so at 48" it's going to look great!

hey just letting you know that if im going to come by this weekend, its gonna have to be on sunday, i have a concert on saturday, for jazz band :happy:

Hey Arturo, I'm going to be down in San Jose on Sunday. Are you available to come over Monday or Thursday next week?

kinetic - Thats crazy. I sent Chris a quote for my 30x22x20, external over flow, black silicon, 1" PVC bottom for 1475+ shipping!

Thanks on the comments of my photos

-Dave

kinetic - Thats crazy. I sent Chris a quote for my 30x22x20, external over flow, black silicon, 1" PVC bottom for 1475+ shipping!

Thanks on the comments of my photos

-Dave

hey dave, maybe I'm missing something, or it's just that I haven't included the markup yet. the lfs will be marking me up 15% from the price I first talked about... so about $1640. I'm thinking the internal overflow makes it a tad cheaper as well?

I want the internal so i can do a nice penninsula if I ever wanted to.

Got a pair of porcelain crabs today! I introduced them to a nice little "cave" up front so I can see them. They immediately opened up their setae and started catching food. Not sure if they got anything, but glad they're staying put where I can see them. I bought them as a mated pair, one is WAY bigger. They seem to be OK with each other.

4157348654_3bdce79e1a.jpg

So the trick is, start with close to zero fish, introduce live mysis, and mix it in with frozen until they start eating. I fed about 3 times a day, once before work, once after, and then once before I went to bed.

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I already have fish in my tank. They are all pretty active too. So I guess I will have to be very weary of introducing Ventralis into my tank. I may still try it one day. Who knows. I already have my hands full trying to train my Mandarin to eat frozen. I got some live brine today to finally start training it properly.

Awesome shot on the Porcelain crab. I love Porcelain crabs. I wish I can finally move mine out of my nano. I just need to find time to take it apart, get the remaining livestock out, and restart it up again.

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I already have fish in my tank. They are all pretty active too. So I guess I will have to be very weary of introducing Ventralis into my tank. I may still try it one day. Who knows. I already have my hands full trying to train my Mandarin to eat frozen. I got some live brine today to finally start training it properly.

goodluck with the mandarin! those are super cool too! I wish they were easier to feed. If you do try the ventralis, the best luck you'll have is if one of them is very bold, the others will follow. Go with at least one that's fairly large.

TriggerHappyDude
Got a quote from AGE (fairly quickly) through one of the LFS here:

$1325 + $100 crate = $1425

48" x 32" x 24"

All Starfire glass

White PVC bottom

Beveled Glass

Black Silicon

Corner internal overflow with smoked 1/4" acrylic

Compared to $2589 for a 120xl ELOS...

I think AGE might have my vote on the next tank setup ;)

So no entire back wall overflow as discussed before?

Thats not really a bad price there, add another $300 - $500 for a metal stand to hold it right?

AGE only warranties if the stand is approved by them, so you'll get that done I hope?

That price seem really cheap, does that include shipping to the LFS etc?

For the tank dims, I would have imagined the price would have been more in the $2500 - $4000 range, am I mistaken, did aquarium pricing go down? I need a quote like this!

You're making me want to ditch my 34gallon Solana and build one of these bad boys!

A tank of this size for me will let me get the Trigger fish and other bigger fish I've always wanted.

I wonder if I have the room...

hey dave, maybe I'm missing something, or it's just that I haven't included the markup yet. the lfs will be marking me up 15% from the price I first talked about... so about $1640. I'm thinking the internal overflow makes it a tad cheaper as well?

I want the internal so i can do a nice penninsula if I ever wanted to.

Ahh, so this is why you didn't do the entire back overflow, I see now.

And also why you chose starphire glass on all sides, right? (The penninsula future)

Nice.

Edited by TriggerHappyDude
goodluck with the mandarin! those are super cool too! I wish they were easier to feed. If you do try the ventralis, the best luck you'll have is if one of them is very bold, the others will follow. Go with at least one that's fairly large.

Cool. That's good to know. Only thing that concerns me is my trio of Lyretails. I read they are pretty aggressive towards other anthias. We'll see. As for the mandarin, so far I've tried artic pods but he's not responding to well to it. I added a bottle of tigger pods to the tank and the fuge just incase I don't have enough pods. I knew what I was getting into but it just seems weird spending about $50 already on a $20 fish trying to keep it alive. Haha. He responded well last time I had live brine. Hopefully he starts eating frozen soon.

Cool. That's good to know. Only thing that concerns me is my trio of Lyretails. I read they are pretty aggressive towards other anthias. We'll see. As for the mandarin, so far I've tried artic pods but he's not responding to well to it. I added a bottle of tigger pods to the tank and the fuge just incase I don't have enough pods. I knew what I was getting into but it just seems weird spending about $50 already on a $20 fish trying to keep it alive. Haha. He responded well last time I had live brine. Hopefully he starts eating frozen soon.

Hmm, lyrtails might be a problem for them. My instinct says don't try the ventralis in your situation, the risk seems too much =(

Have you seen the melev method of feeding mandarins? I've heard a lot of success stories there: http://www.melevsreef.com/mandarin_diner.html

If I ever get a mandarin that's what I'm going to try.

AGE only warranties if the stand is approved by them, so you'll get that done I hope?

That would suck. I don't want their metal stand =(

And yes, no coast to coast because I always want the option of moving this into a peninsula style tank. I've always liked peninsula tanks, just never had the house for it. I really want this to be my final final tank, so I can just let stuff grow out. It's big enough, the only things I'd ever upgrade are the peripherals.

TriggerHappyDude
That would suck. I don't want their metal stand =(

And yes, no coast to coast because I always want the option of moving this into a peninsula style tank. I've always liked peninsula tanks, just never had the house for it. I really want this to be my final final tank, so I can just let stuff grow out. It's big enough, the only things I'd ever upgrade are the peripherals.

No you don't have to buy "their" stand, they just have to approve of the one you have built for you, I think, as long as they know how its made, etc, I think that would suffice for them, but you need to ask them to make sure I'm right there...thats what I read somewhere on another build.

BTW how many gallons is this tank you had quoted? I like your idea of the peninsula better than the coast to coast...which side of the back corner do you want your overflow in?

Edited by TriggerHappyDude
No you don't have to buy "their" stand, they just have to approve of the one you have built for you, I think, as long as they know how its made, etc, I think that would suffice for them, but you need to ask them to make sure I'm right there...thats what I read somewhere on another build.

I see, that's good to know, thanks!

BTW how many gallons is this tank you had quoted? I like your idea of the peninsula better than the coast to coast...which side of the back corner do you want your overflow in?

The overflow will be on the right back.

48x32x24 = 36864 cubic inches, so about 160 gallons in the display. Probably less because of the overflow and 1.5" off the top where there's no water ;) so about 150g

I didn't even think of the galonage. that's a lot more water than what I have now. About double.

Hmm, lyrtails might be a problem for them. My instinct says don't try the ventralis in your situation, the risk seems too much =(

Have you seen the melev method of feeding mandarins? I've heard a lot of success stories there: http://www.melevsreef.com/mandarin_diner.html

If I ever get a mandarin that's what I'm going to try.

Yeah I think it might be and I probably will not try it out especially since I heard they are pretty expensive.

I read that method for mandarins but I think that is for those who are already trained to eat pellets. I may still try it with the live brine (which I saw a video of somewhere) because they are just floating away when I put it in the tank. I will just have to wait for my daughter to eat one of her baby food today so I can use the bottle. Haha.

BTW, I thought I would share with you a photo of my Porcelain crab.

3121806099_ca6de053c6_o.jpg

Yeah I think it might be and I probably will not try it out especially since I heard they are pretty expensive.

I read that method for mandarins but I think that is for those who are already trained to eat pellets. I may still try it with the live brine (which I saw a video of somewhere) because they are just floating away when I put it in the tank. I will just have to wait for my daughter to eat one of her baby food today so I can use the bottle. Haha.

Oh that is true, just read it again and it seems like it was just his way of making sure the mandarins got the food before the other fish did.

BTW, I thought I would share with you a photo of my Porcelain crab.

Awesome picture!

On my way home from San Jose, I stopped by and picked up some coral from Neptune Aquatics and Aquatic Collection, two of the most awesome LFS's possible.

Here's a frag Robert was saving for me at Neptunes for a few weeks, dubbed Halloween Nerds Chalice. It's the only chalice I have, and will ever. I don't really like chalices, most look like mold to me. This one, however, is pretty sweet (excuse flickr's oversaturation after posting, not sure why that happens):

4167610229_71860cf144.jpg

Here's a Goniapora, super bright red with yellow/green mouths:

4167610151_ac5ec44544.jpg

Yes that's LPS in a SPS tank. I'm not sure how they will do, as the lighting is ridiculously intense, and the flow is over 7500gph in the display. The goni is supposed to have long arms, but in this picture the polyps are barely coming out. This is the lowest flow I could find for this guy and still be visible.

The chalice is OK in the flow for now, come feeding time poor guy will miss out. I'll probably have to turn the pumps off and spot feed.

Oh, and I said I wasn't going to get a clam since the flow would just tear the mantel out, but the aquacultured maximas at neptunes were too nice to pass on. Here's a 3" guy fighting the current. I hope it will be OK with the flow in the long run:

4167609233_15e0ee2211.jpg

Great new additions. I basically have the same opinion as you on Chalice. I have 3 in my tank now and really only enjoy one of them. There are some out there that are amazing but WAY too $$$ for what you get in the end. I'd rather get a bunch of really top-notch, hard to acquire Acans and SPS before spending tons on something the size of my pinky nail, or smaller.

Like you, the only thing that I often struggle with LPS is finding a low flow area where they just don't get blasted by the return of my skimmer or the MP20 that I have. Currently, my tank is basically designed for SPS DOMINATION :)

Would love to see a top-down of that clam once it settles in. I think a clam may be my next addition.

-Adam

Looking great!

Take a top down of the chalice. Also your getting your gobies today?

-Dave

Yup, gobies come in today, unfortunately I'm not working from home today, so they'll have to wait a bit to get into the tank. I'll probably skip home around 6pm. I'm also getting a nice RBTA from liveaquaria, hopefully that guy will make it in my tank. My last one just melted away.

Yup, gobies come in today, unfortunately I'm not working from home today, so they'll have to wait a bit to get into the tank. I'll probably skip home around 6pm. I'm also getting a nice RBTA from liveaquaria, hopefully that guy will make it in my tank. My last one just melted away.

Got an anemone today that had all of it's guts coming out before I even got it out of the bag. Water was warm, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Really sad, the base was a beautiful bright green, and the tentacles were a really amazingly bright red. Acclimated for 30 minutes, doubt it'll live. It's basically inside out now.

5 gobies came, 4 alive, one not so much. Not too shabby =) We'll see how they do. Currently totally disappeared in the rockwork.

Came home briefly and then headed back to work. *sigh*

No pictures of the gobies tonight... all hiding. Did see one guy appear for a second.

Looks like the anemone finished throwing up, planted it's feet down, and bubbled up a tad. Hmm, there's a chance he'll make it:

White balance corrected to 14000K

4170621837_3f5e03ccfa.jpg

Just the actinics:

4171379146_50944b4bc9.jpg