Pod Your Reef

FishHeaded's 10g

FishHeaded

Hey guys, first off I've had my tank for about 10 months... Sad thing is, I didn't quite give it the time and dedication it deserved. -_- And when I say that, I mean, I didn't really care much for it because I wasn't into it as much as I was + lazyness. For ex; barely ever did water changes, didn't buy any livestock (corals, fish, etc.) , so on and so forth...but now i'm back on board. :)

Anyways now that that's outta the way, here we go, I currently have:

10 gallon flat back hex tank (10% water change every week) w/

a true perc

firefish

c.u.c.

hammer

brain

trumpet

& a bubble coral. Hey I know it doesn't seem like much but like I said, I fell off...so it's basically like I'm starting over.

Now for pics:

heres my tank before I redid it..

DSCF0356.jpg

It was really ugly..

So I decided it was time for change :

IMG_010.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

side2.jpg

side1.jpg

Hammer:

hammer.jpg

Brain:

brain.jpg

Trumpet/Candy:

IMG_0101.jpg

Bubble Coral:

IMG_009.jpg

True Perc:

IMG_0118.jpg

Thanks for looking all.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful pictures, and a very nice, different layout. Congrats!

How did you get your rock to stay together like that? Holes & dowels?

I like the mix of black & white in the substrate. Makes the substrate less blindingly white, and I imagine it tends to hide dirty areas, too.

You have some nice specimens of coral. Are they all recent additions?

--Diane

looks nice. i like it. just make sure the rockwork is stable so the corals and fish won't be crushed.

Thanks, rock is pretty stable.

Beautiful pictures, and a very nice, different layout. Congrats!

How did you get your rock to stay together like that? Holes & dowels?

I like the mix of black & white in the substrate. Makes the substrate less blindingly white, and I imagine it tends to hide dirty areas, too.

You have some nice specimens of coral. Are they all recent additions?

--Diane

Thanks, the rocks just wedge nicely on top of one another. As for the corals, they are all fairly new additions, they were all added in the past month :)

Nice pictures.

What kind of camera are you using?

Thanks, just a cheapie, Powershot SD100.

your tank is beautiful. Glad you are back on board. I did the same sort of thing with my 12g. My friend just gave it to me. gave me a quick how to look after it, and then didn't want it back after the summer. So I did nothing with it, and it sat for months. I found this site and started lurking, and all of a sudden I was learning and totally into it. I brought that tank back to life and now I have a new 24g too. It is such an interesting and rewarding hobby. gl with your tank. It is looking wonderful!!

your tank is beautiful. Glad you are back on board. I did the same sort of thing with my 12g. My friend just gave it to me. gave me a quick how to look after it, and then didn't want it back after the summer. So I did nothing with it, and it sat for months. I found this site and started lurking, and all of a sudden I was learning and totally into it. I brought that tank back to life and now I have a new 24g too. It is such an interesting and rewarding hobby. gl with your tank. It is looking wonderful!!

Thank you :) Wow, your friend just gave you his tank like that? He gave it all to you for free?

Tell me about it, very interesting and rewarding hobby indeed. :happy: Not to mention addicting.. :lol:

I realy like the arches. BTW even if your rock structure is stabble you proboblly dont want the chance of losing $60-$80 of coral.glue just to be on the safe side but dont let me presher you in to doing something because it is your tank!

I realy like the arches. BTW even if your rock structure is stabble you proboblly dont want the chance of losing $60-$80 of coral.glue just to be on the safe side but dont let me presher you in to doing something because it is your tank!

Thanks, yeah I really need to do that, will regular super glue gel work from the store?

Very Nice! I have the exact same tank. What do you have lighting? Filtration?

Thanks, 64watts pc, (32 daylight and 32 actinics). HOB aquaclear 30 for filtration. :)

Also forgot to mention, thought the lady fragged me a bad piece of GSP the day i got the other additions, but it opened today :D. (if i leave this little frag on the substrate without it being on a rock, will it still spread?):

IMG_0097.jpg

Pic of hammer, polyps, open brain, and green star polyps:

IMG_0105.jpg

Actinics:

IMG_0111.jpg

lil'wrasse cool

Man killer tank!!!! I love it puts my 10 to shame good work!!!!! Thats it I wanna battle I'm putting my cheque into matching your beut of a tank...

Edit super glue wil not work(It will just seap intio the rock and not bond to well) get the right stuff I did not check the link but I think I know what he is talking about.. BUT once its sealed no turning back its like concreat and will have to chip the rock before the glue stufff.

Man killer tank!!!! I love it puts my 10 to shame good work!!!!! Thats it I wanna battle I'm putting my cheque into matching your beut of a tank...

Edit super glue wil not work(It will just seap intio the rock and not bond to well) get the right stuff I did not check the link but I think I know what he is talking about.. BUT once its sealed no turning back its like concreat and will have to chip the rock before the glue stufff.

I need to take an updated FTS and i still need to add alot more corals :)

As for super glue, yeah it didnt do anything for me. I think i might go with the AquaStik Epoxy putty, is this any good? and does it glue like concrete? because i want to be able to move around my rock work later on if i want.

stellar tank!!! A few points of hopefully effective criticism...

Move the heater into your AC fliter (as a matter of fact upgrade the filter to the biggest one and convert it to a fuge then you can probably get rid of the extra powerhead as well)

I noticed some bubble algea on the substrate do yourself a favor and cerfully extract those bubbles b4 they become an issue

Yeah those look like fire & ice zoa's, but they usually have a lighter blue inside.Either way its a very nice frag.I would still the GSP on a small chunk of rock just for a foothold since its a new frag, then it should start to spread and make a nice GSP rug.

Is your sand the "black livesand" from caribsea?Because I was thinking of using it in a project.How have you found it to be difficult at all?

lovely pics and nice selection of the size of corals.

stellar tank!!! A few points of hopefully effective criticism...

Move the heater into your AC fliter (as a matter of fact upgrade the filter to the biggest one and convert it to a fuge then you can probably get rid of the extra powerhead as well)

I noticed some bubble algea on the substrate do yourself a favor and cerfully extract those bubbles b4 they become an issue

Thanks Scuba, I would move the heater to my ac 30 filter, but its too big for it. Maybe later on ill upgrade it :)

As for the bubble algae, I've been meaning to get em all out, i'll do it on my next water change. It used to be a big problem before, it was all over my LR. :angry:

Yeah those look like fire & ice zoa's, but they usually have a lighter blue inside.Either way its a very nice frag.I would still the GSP on a small chunk of rock just for a foothold since its a new frag, then it should start to spread and make a nice GSP rug.

Is your sand the "black livesand" from caribsea?Because I was thinking of using it in a project.How have you found it to be difficult at all?

Yeah I was thinking it was fire & ice but i couldn't decide. For the GSP, I still need to go to my lfs and grab a piece of rubble, all i have is larger pieces.

The livesand is Indio-Pacific Black and its by Arag-alive

I dont find it difficult at all, i love it :) What's your project?

Hey guys, just thought i'd post some pics of my recent additions:

Palys:

DSC_0085.jpg

Ric:

DSC_0026.jpg

Palys and ric:

DSC_0086.jpg

GSP, zoas, palys, and open brain:

DSC_0087.jpg

Did some rearranging(preparing for a zoa and mushroom/ric wall):

DSC_0020.jpg

Also got bored and decided to take some other pics:

Clown under hammer:

DSC_0091.jpg

Hammer:

DSC_0027.jpg

Firefish:

DSC_0014.jpg

Side of brain:

DSC_0049.jpg

Fishheaded, tank looks great.. What are the plans for the archway??

Thanks swingr, for the archway, I plan to glue corals all around/on it, so basically it will be a coral archway. ;):)

Archived