ReefCleaners.org

Reeferboys Bc29

REEFERBOY

first off thanks to all who post valuable info for all first timers to read and learn from

Dec 01st 2012
IMG_4005.jpg
Mar 02nd 2012
IMG_2671.jpg
JAN 15TH 2012
IMG_2630.jpg
JULY 8TH, 2011
IMG_2038.jpg
MAY 23RD, 2011
IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg (aug 8th 2009)

post-29940-1187859905_thumb.jpg
post-29940-1187859943_thumb.jpg
post-29940-1187861797_thumb.jpg

SEE PAGES 9-12 FOR UPDATED EQUIPMENT/ FEEDING/ STATS OTHER THAN BELOW

all posts are appreciated

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Move the brain to the sand bed, and get some bright colors in there. Mushrooms are great for adding color and they are really easy to keep. I would also get a frogspawn, or torch coral cause they will give you some movement. Also, get some xenia. Fast grower and really pretty coral.

Move the brain to the sand bed, and get some bright colors in there. Mushrooms are great for adding color and they are really easy to keep. I would also get a frogspawn, or torch coral cause they will give you some movement. Also, get some xenia. Fast grower and really pretty coral.

the brain is actually attached to a rock kind of like a frag it was like that when i bought it should i still put it on the sand bed there 2 small feather dusters that currently live on the underside of the rock that the brain is attached too?

Put brain on sand bed and re-aquascaped everything, wasnt happy with it will post new pics tonight, also replaced half of my bioballs with live rock (took one peice from my tank and gave it a good smashing good times :) ) also removed the false floor in chamber one and put filter floss on top of the bioballs that are still in chamber 2, also switched to R/O water n did a 30% change & took my stock pump apart n cleaned it good (it was filthy after 3 months only)....was a busy night, thinking of doing another 30% change tonight to speed up the dilution from brita filtered water to all R/O water is this too many/much water changes in a small amount of time?

also diggman08 any tips would be awesome caus i read your thread daily because i think i got the zoa bug :)

rid the bioballs.. buy a bag of chemi pure. do a search theres a good thread bout that stuff. im using it in ch 1 helps clean the water.

Ditch the bioballs asap...Theyre doing nothing but hurting your tank. Also, IMO you're feeding way too much...try feeding every couple of days, and much less than what you are...2 teaspoons daily seems like quite a bit for what little life you have. And get some more flow in there! =p

Don't start dosing yet until you have done a lot of research, and never dose anything you do not test for.

You should do weekly 15-20% water changes with a good RO/DI and salt mixture.

Also, what type of salt are you using?

And Temps?

i feed about a pellet sized amount a day, if you ever see your fish with crap hanging from its body thats over feeding dont feed for the next day or so. then feed a little the next day little like booger size or less

temp is constant 79-80,

salt is Reef Crystals

i got rid of half the bioballs for now because i was worried it might remove too much benifical (as well as the bad) if i changed them all at once, plus i need to go buy more lr n smash it caus otherwise there isnt even 2lbs of lr in chamber 2,

dosing...is it dosing its just chlorine/ ammonia remover?

R/O does it need any chlorine remover or is it good to go once mixed?

also

thx for the feeding tips, stupid lfs.....any chance that would explain my light red diatom problem (its light but its noticable)

just got some more live rock so that it slopes from top left to middle right now n a piece at the top of the large shelf so that it dosent slope backwards to the eye, will post pics later. also the new lr i got is awesome have realsied that i started this project with garbage quality live rock which has slowed down my tanks progressions hugely. visited a new lfs today and wow wish i found this place when i started 3 months ago. gonna pick up the maxijet1200 ($55) there on friday and maybe a tunze powerhead ($80) too :)

GOT THE MAXIJET1200 much better flow anyone out there run the stock pump and the maxijet using one as a powerhead?....is there such a thing as too much flow?

GOT THE MAXIJET1200 much better flow anyone out there run the stock pump and the maxijet using one as a powerhead?....is there such a thing as too much flow?

You can have too much flow...sometimes soft corals like frogspawn or hammer coral won't extend all the way. I don't think a MJ1200 and the stock pump would be too much however. The other thing that often happens is that too much flow will create a sandstorm.

cool thx for the tip im just gonna run it with replacing the stock, once the maxi was in the stock was way to clunky to use as a powerhead and i think maybe too much flow and definitely a sandstorm, my local lfs has recomended a tunze 6025 .....any ideas anyone on tunze 6025 vs korilla 1? posting more pics right now :)

some acentic shots

nano001.jpg

nano002.jpg

nano007.jpg

some daylight shots with brain moved up just off sand on a new piece of LR...he didnt like the sand for some reason and stayed "shrunk" (regular night shape) within 2 hours of putting it on the LR he was looking a lot happier and expanded greatly

nano003.jpg

nano004.jpg

nano005.jpg

one of my best pics so far...still learning camera settings

nano006.jpg

daylights on how the tank looks as of today roughly 14 weeks in

nano009.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

a ballast broke, good customer service from oceanic, they are sending me a new one for free....but its gonna take 2 weeks becuase i live in canada .so 2 weeks without my purple acentic will this be ok?

• 6 months later...

so heres the 6 month update

Picture034.jpg

now with metal halide

Picture042.jpg

wow wow wow !!! what a difference lighting makes

plz add comments all any tips or any questions plz post

below are some more pics :)

Picture048.jpg

Picture047.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture039.jpg

Picture040.jpg

its a mix of pics with metal halide n just stock lighting, all the darker richer looking one are with metal halides, all are day shots enjoy :)

so the first pic under "the 6 later month update" is with stock lighting, the second one is 2 days later with my newly installed viper hqi 150w metal halide, just so everyone is clear n i feel its a good comparison of stock lighting to metal halide for everybody to see

That 6 month before and after is worth a thousand words. The first all the colors look drab, especially when looking at the rock and after the new light everything has more of a pop. Take the sponge, first pic it's sky blue to almost white, that close up pic has it at a much deeper blue. I would like to see pics of the light on the tank. Not a full top down shot but you know what I mean, at an angle. 10k 14k 20k on the bulb?

Congrats on the MH upgrade, the tank looks good.

Is that sun coral on top of the rock at the top? If it is I thought those were supposed to be in the shade away from lights.

Keep up the good work,

Chris

So as I am waiting for my pics.... my girlfriend says her usual....

"Seriously, how many times can you look at seamen?!"

But back on topic, still waiting!

ah ha, thats good shoulda answered "more importantly how many times can you?!", anyways yeah srry will try to get those pics up for ya weekend is a lil busy but will try some time today or tmrw :)

as for the sun coral your right from what i can tell ive had it about a week so im glad you pointed it out i asked my lfs about what i had read previously who is normally very good, when i got it he said because its non-photosynthetic is can go anywhere, which while partly true eliminates the fact that i think i have decided it must go at the bottom of my tank and will move it tonight

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Reeferboys Bc29

Archived