ReefCleaners.org

Finally settling the NC6 fish deal.

MR.FEESH

I have a 6 gal nanocube. I have one very happy and healthy blue finned damsel. It was my first and only fish. I have had zillions of people yell at me for having the "wrong fish" and suggest the one that they'd have in my tank (as if they have seen my tank and indeed they own it). "You keep that fish!?! (Like it's the end of the world) That's TOTALLY wrong!!!" "That's too big!!!" "Get a firefish" "Get a clown" "Get a cardinal" "Get a goby" However, through all of the whining and complaining- there seems to be no consistancy. Time to settle this once and for all, which fish is/are suitable for a 6g nano? (If you say "no fish"- I'm gonna kill you. Believe me, I've heard it already and don't want to hear it again).

I would say most gobies, a clown should be fine in one, although I know mine likes more room than a 6 could provide. I had a damsel in a 5 for a while, she is in a 10 now and seems just as happy, so who knows?

^for a 6 gallon? that would be really overstocked and to small for the gobies, a clown would NOT be okay in a 6gallon way to small

What are you basing that statement on? Have you tried it? Have you seen anyone try it? Other than saying it is a 6gal you know nothing about the tank set up. How can you make an informed decision?

There's the problem, noone knows. Would you put a tang in a 6gal no. could you put a pair of the smaller gobies in there, sure. I plan on putting a red stripe goby in a 4gal. People will prob. freak at that.

You will definately be fine with gobies. I have a high fin goby and pistol shrimp in a 2.5 gal that is dedicated to them right now while I build the false wall for their new home. You have to keep in mind the nature of the fish that you are putting in there. For instance, my high fin goby just chills at the entrance to his cave with the shrimp all day until feeding time. He could be in a hundred gallon tank and still occupy the same 3 square inches. Most gobies share this "squat until I'm fed" mentality. As long as you are dedicated and can keep your water quality up, it should not be a big deal.

Obviously a free swimming fish would be a bad idea. Or one that gets to be large. Do your research and you will be fine. Everyone you ask will have a different opinion. Some people will fry your a$$ because they have nothing better to do. If you don't want to hear it, don't ask the questions. I hate to break it to you, but you will not "settle this once and for all". Starting a thread prefaced the way you have is only going to leave you bloody. Just my two cents.

v/r,

Prof

You will definately be fine with gobies. You have to keep in mind the nature of the fish that you are putting in there. He could be in a hundred gallon tank and still occupy the same 3 square inches. Most gobies share this "squat until I'm fed" mentality. As long as you are dedicated and can keep your water quality up, it should not be a big deal.

Obviously a free swimming fish would be a bad idea. Or one that gets to be large. Do your research and you will be fine. Some people will fry your a$$ because they have nothing better to do. You will not "settle this once and for all". Starting a thread prefaced the way you have is only going to leave you bloody. Just my two cents.

v/r,

Prof

Well said.

I have no worries about the highfins, I have a yashia/shrimp pair in another tank and as long as you dont mess with their zoa frag disc (entrance to their cave) they don't move.

I've decided to get a Naso Blond Tang, since all they need is at lest 125 gallons. I might put in the $2000 reef shark from my lfs as a cuc.

In all seriousness, I like the damsel I have now, but as far as SW fish go, it seems a little under par as far a spectactular color goes. I might get a goby, a ff, or a clown. No desicions yet tho...

Thankyou all for your input- the common intrest seems to be gobies. Maybe this thread will save me from future grillings by people who know nothing about NC6's!!!

Archived