SaltCritters.com

Its PROP time....

Helfrichs Chick

Helfrichs Chick

OK OK OK. So I am sick of trying to stuff corals in my poor 18g, I got a prop tank :) . Dimensions are 29l x 24w x 18t. Its a home-made looking tank lol, but a good size IMO, something like 50 gallons. I will probally need some advice as I start plumbing it, I am planning on a remote SB with LR in a 20 long below. I am on my way to home depot for some materials and by tonight I should have the stand up.

Questions:

1) It came with black ABS overflows, all I have heard is that stuff is no good to use... any imput? I think I can just re-do it with PVC.

2) I was going to plan for a 250w MH on a pully system so I can easily raise and lower it, however my friend has T5s on his prop and the corals look killer. Whats everyones suggestion on that?

Anyways im super excited! Gonna be fun, and I will add updates as it comes along.

prop-tank.jpg

modularduck

Gratz, what about lgreens t5 set up he has for sale for lighting? just a thought. will watch eagerly to see how it comes along. :)

Oh man I could whip up some roman coliseum style racks in that bad boy and stage 2 tier platform the same size as your battle ground!

God i cant wait to graduate to a big prop tank i enjoy building them more then sitting here watching things grow out.

Helfrichs Chick

No way, love my ada too much to throw racks in it. The prop tank is not that pretty anyways, but was only $30 and a ricordea :) After the lumber, waterproof seal, and plumbing the total for this tank should be $100. Then lights ugh, prop tank for around $200 is pretty good IMO.

Were also planning a 240 shallow reef for our livingroom but thats a long way off. Want to play with prop for a while.... no not Prop the NR member hahahaha. I am working on the stand now and OMG my hands are killing me!!!!!!!! Decided to take a break. I still am going to waterproof it tonight after its done, and pics will be up soon. As far as the racks, since its almost cube I think I will do a 3 or 4 tier cube rack, lots of surface area. I originally didnt want to do a sump, I hate messing with it lol, but I figure its already drilled and hey it will be room fo more frags. :)

Hey also I would LOVE if any of you have time to sketch up your ideas for the racks! Thanks!

Yahoo!!! Another one of us!!! And a girl one too!!

Looks great--I'm looking forward to seeing some of the stuff you will send me. :)

Helfrichs Chick

Who hooo! Stand is all put together, just to paint it now. I was going to just waterproof it but I think I would rather paint it. Well here are a few pics. I am pretty motivated to get this system running by the end of the weekend. Notice Byerly my boxer inspecting my work. :)

stand-only.jpg

stand-with-sump2.jpg

Awesome! Your timing is PERFECT! Just starting to research this idea and now I get to follow your project along! Hope you don't mind a newbie tagging along and asking LOTS of questions!!!

Allen :)

Helfrichs Chick

Any time. This is my first prop tank, and to be honest in my 10 years in thsi hobby I have never had nor plumbed a sump. I know crazy right lol. I always used HOB stuff and last 4 years I dont run anything other than Powerheads lol. So this will be a new experience in every since of the word. Well im off to paint this bad boy. I will take more pics later once the tank is up on the stand and all painted! Seriously I think im a little too excited lol.

Helfrichs Chick

Check out my rack! :D

prop-racks.jpg

Anyways I want to maximize space, these measurements may be off, but this is the layout as of right now, I have egg crate in hand so let me know what you all think. Stand is painted but I TOTALLY f-ed it up LOL. I used 2x4s and the holes are only 3 inches from the edge HAHAH. So I have to rework the frame a little bit, but I think i figured it out and should be pretty easy. Will post pics of the set up all painted tonight :)

Not bad i have seen a few like this and they worked just fine.

Looks like you will be able to clean the floor pretty easy as well.

Nice, I like the layout of the racks. It looks good and good use of space. I would keep the front open to like you show so you can place corals on the bottom if needed.

That looks pretty awesome.

And nice workmanship on that stand. Kinda puts me to shame. :o Umm, I'm gonna go move some heavy object around and chop some wood to reclaim my manhood. :lol:

Nice looking tank...Im not so sure about that rack design but everything else looks nice...BTW: Go halide...You wont regret it...

I had T5ho's over my prop tank and didnt like them at all...

No one else got it---But I had figured you had a nice rack long ago. :)

That is a cool tier system---I want to see it---that could work very well on a larger scale in my tub.

Helfrichs Chick

^ LOL thanks for getting it mvite! WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the racks came out better than I ever thought, 2 sheets of egg crate and a ton if zipties later, its VERY sturdy suprisingly, no need for PVC. It DID however take like 6 hours and a 12 pack to complete! Well here are pics. :) Oh and I made 2 small moveable racks, that can hold frags and pushed uner the main tower. or wherever. Im pretty proud of myself on this one.

rack1.jpg

rack3.jpg

rack4.jpg

rack2.jpg

racks are good as long as you're able to get under them. IT'S SUCH A PITA WHEN THINGS FALL UNDER THE CRATE. lookin' good miss.

Very Nice rack young lady :blush:

And Im digging your prop tank also B)

Cant wait to see the progress...and theirs not a thing in the world wrong with being excited...its the things in

life that you enjoy...are well worth the hard work.

Izzue

Helfrichs Chick

Yea adin I agree! I thought about it quite a bit, the very top shelf and the second will likely be SPS. If you notice I closed in the front on the tip tier, I wanted to leave it open but I figure frags might fall back, and while I have LOTS of room to get my hands underneath, I didnt want things to fall and break. I guess they can fall forward but again wanted to make sure they do not fall backwards under the top tier. I will probally add a small front rim on teir #2 so they dont fall forwards, its a 12in drop lol, sps + 12in = PO HChick

There is 4 inches in the front on the sides, and then 8 inches from the front middle to the 3rd tier. I only did the stand 24in tall so the top of the tank is perfect height for me to reach in and all the way under the rack easily. I also just put in that small strip under tier 3 for stability, but left it nice and open for easy access to under the rack. I left the sides nice and open as I will probally have a fish or two, coris wrasse or something to help eat bugs. I wanted to make sure whatever fish I add they are happy too. I will probally have a few peices of LR in the display also, and if I get a coris, I will have to have a tupperware full of sand for him to sleep in. Here is a pic from the side... rack6.jpg

And the back... rack5.jpg

I will have to cut a little bit depending on my plumbing but it will be minor and wont bother the integrity of the rack. I am still glad I didnt have to use PVC for risers. Well since I botched up the top of the stand I should hopefully have it fixed by tonight, maybe tomorrow as I dont thin kmy hands can take any more for the time being lol.

Archived