Pod Your Reef

Pics of Rics...

c est ma

I was looking at my tank tonight and realized that one of my orange rics now has five mouths in a row! Well, why actually divide when you can just elongate?...

dscn0335largeuc4.jpg

dscn0339largerq5.jpg

The pink one, on the other hand, has been dividing a lot:

dscn0345largecd6.jpg

The big one does have 2 mouths, though--here pointing in different directions:

dscn0346largepw8.jpg

--Diane

Clownfishcrazy1117

Niice ricordea! Willing to part with any of them? :flower: If so, PM me. I'll try to convince my dad to buy them if you will sell.

Beautiful Rics!!!

What kind of camera are you using? It takes awesome pictures!!! :D

Thank you! While I do love my camera, I'm afraid it's "obsolete" by today's standards...it's a Nikon Coolpix 3100. I think we've just gotten used to each other over the years... :)

Niice ricordea! Willing to part with any of them? :flower: If so, PM me. I'll try to convince my dad to buy them if you will sell.

Thank you! My rics have really been flourishing lately, and are indeed getting a bit crowded...but I'm afraid I could probably find some takers closer to my neck of the woods and avoid shipping...sorry! :(

Tonight I took some pics of the same rics eating Cyclopeeze. Here're some shots of the orange one (the red bits floating around are the Cyclopeeze, of course):

dscn0356largezp5.jpg

dscn0357largege6.jpg

dscn0365largexp0.jpg

dscn0367largear1.jpg

And here's the pink clump. Interestingly, the 2 biggest (front, center) close up, but not the small ones:

dscn0350largesh5.jpg

(See the green-banded goby peeking out?)

dscn0351largeea9.jpg

dscn0361largeqw8.jpg

--Diane

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

well mine aren't near as nice as yours, but the rock only cost me $10

they were completely bleached when i made the purchase, but they are stating to color up.

my bleached ric also has 5 mouths.

IMG_3215.jpg

IMG_3217.jpg

IMG_3219.jpg

just recently i found this attached to a small zoa frag.

best i can tell its a pure black ric.

IMG_3459.jpg (actinic's make it look blue in the pic)

IMG_3454.jpg

you ever see an all black ric diane?

btw your shrooms are fantastic! loves the pic's of the mouths. those guys look "little shop of horror", mean! :)

Wow, those are some of the prettiest orange rics I have ever seen. What kind of lighting do you keep them under, they look so happy!

Icy,

Oooooooh...shall we see who can get to 6 mouths first? :)

Thanks for posting your pics--they're most interesting! What a bargain on those bleached ones--sure hope I notice any pics you post when they're through coloring up! (If I don't, PM me, OK? I don't get here very often these days...)

I have NEVER heard of a black ric! I'll bet that'd be a huge money maker for you if you could propagate it!

Your pics made me want to go back and look at my first pics of my rics. I dug up a few...

Here's the orange one when I first got it (October, 2005)--only one mouth and much, much smaller (I paid $50 bucks for this, but I haven't regretted it!):

dscn2091mediumvu3.jpg

(It now has two polyps, one the very long one with 5 mouths.)

And here's the pink one at first (November, 2005). This one really did start out looking like Audrey! (It now has 6 separate polyps.):

dscn2605largeth8.jpg

These were tiny ones I picked up for much less, between $7 & $15 each (3 of 6 that I acquired mostly in January, '06):

dscn3429largete9.jpg

I managed to attach 3 of them to a rock, here shown next to the orange ric:

dscn4107largeof4.jpg

Now I'll go find some more pics of what they look like now, and answer the light question.

--Diane

Wow, those are some of the prettiest orange rics I have ever seen. What kind of lighting do you keep them under, they look so happy!

Thanks, John. The tank is a 5.5g, and the light is a 20" Satellite 40 W fixture. It has "one [double tube] 40 w SMARTPAQ (10,000K/460 nm actinic) all-in-one lamp" --a quote from the box. It also has a built in lunar light, but I ended up seldom using that.

My son started this tank w/ a Coralife Mini...I tried various upgrades before settling on the Satellite. I purposely went with a light longer than the tank, because I feel that tank-sized lights are less bright at either end, and in a 5.5g I wanted as much well-lighted area as possible.

This is probably overkill, though (esp. since I ended up with almost all softies). I've made 3 sets of legs for my home-made, ghetto light stand (PVC pipe), each set taller than the other. The light is now about 3.5 inches from the top of the tank (about 12 inches from the substrate):

dscn0378largebj4.jpg

The rics thrive on the substrate itself. Some have started off on the live rock, most have been positioned so that they can attach themselves to the LR if they want, but, as you can see, they all end up around the base of it. Some are actually in the shadow (under the overhang) of the LR (or the Xenia!).

And they're starting to fill in my only bare substrate area! (Yeah, I know, it's crushed coral--I inherited it and never bothered to change it...) Since they're mostly flat or cupped upwards between the rock & the tank walls, it's hard to get a decent pic, but here are some (with some blurry areas--sorry!) that show the overall effect.

I love rics!

dscn0369largebt9.jpg

dscn0372largeyh9.jpg

dscn0374largehf5.jpg

dscn0376largebw4.jpg

Compare these to the before shots above. And note that, even with the long light, they are doing especially well on the left side of the tank, where a wall of rock blocks out some of the light they might otherwise receive.

--Diane

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

hey diane, those are awesome! thriving isnt the word. :) those things look a 1000x better than when ya got them. colors are fantastic!

very very nice.

i do have some bad news for ya though.

IMG_3496.jpg

thats 6 baby! :)

great photos and rics!

.... Hello Stranger.

Those are some really nice ric's Diane! The tank is looking amazing, how long has it been up now?

great photos and rics!

Thank you!

Whoo, I think this is my first reply ever from His Nanoness...I have arrived! :D

i do have some bad news for ya though.

IMG_3496.jpg

thats 6 baby! :)

:o:o How'd you do that?!

Cool! :D

(Actually, I meant 6 in a row... ;) )

.... Hello Stranger.

Those are some really nice ric's Diane! The tank is looking amazing, how long has it been up now?

Thanks, Jason! The tank has been running continuously since early 2004, but has undergone some periods of rather severe neglect...nevertheless, there's a Mexican red-legged hermit who's survived from the beginning. My son started this tank at college, then sort of lost interest in upkeep (actually, he got more into pdfs!), so I inherited it about a year and a half later (it came home for summer vacation and just stayed... :) ). At that point it was just LR, hermits, & snails, so I've added everything else...

Ironically, it's been doing extraordinarily well since I started spending more time with my frogs and letting maintenance slip a bit...it's true what they say about softies liking a "dirty" tank! Now I'm weeding out shrooms & Xenia every time I clean...

[it also has a pair of gobies, a nice population of banded brittle stars, a pom-pom crab, a small emerald crab (I rotate these back to the lfs when they get too big), couple of hermits, a beautiful Nassarius, etc...]

And it's not exactly beautiful except for maybe a day after cleaning...I've got a nice population of flatworms I've learned to overlook (except when I'm siphoning them up), and a perennial algae problem...

Nevertheless, the rics are splitting, the zoas spreading, the shrooms are like the water-carrying brooms in The Sorcerer's Apprentice (except the orange ones, natch--they grow slowly), and, best of all, my gbg's spawn weekly. So I'm back to staring at this tank all the time...

:D

--Diane

Diane, where do u get those wonderful rics from? I have a hard time finding a good place to buy rics. Your tank is beautiful.

Thank you very much!

I just haunt lfs's. Everything seems to go in cycles--sometimes you can find them, some times you can't...I'm sure that's a good business ploy!

They actually came from 3 different shops--the pink & orange, at separate times, from a wonderful and pricey lfs in Lansing, the others from shops in Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo...One of the blues was a lone, tiny (nickel-sized) polyp I noticed sticking out from under a huge LPS of some kind. I had the owner fish it out, and it was half destroyed, missing a mouth. He still wouldn't give it to me for free!!!...but gave it to me for 1/2 price ($7.50), which I accepted because by this time my rescue response was in high gear. The ric recovered shortly and it was not too long before it developed a new mouth...

For a while, say, over the last year, I was seeing very few rics locally, but the last time I was up at the Lansing store they had quite a few--I'm sure you must have tons of stores in L.A. to haunt! Good luck!

--Diane

• 1 month later...

OK, this probably looks like just more of the same, but to me , they're slightly better (sharper) pics:

dscn0466largeri7.jpg

dscn0468largeuq2.jpg

dscn0470largexc0.jpg

dscn0471largewv4.jpg

(Of course, they never look as good once they're first resized and then go through the pic mod here...)

--Diane

avalanche1201

WTF! Ive been adding cycopleze to the tank along w/ some mysis shrimp and its gone past my rics and zoas plenty of times...I never see anything reach for them, let alone eat them. I wanna see my rics and zoos feast!!! :angry:

any suggestions?

im also really jelous of your pics, and amazing rics. they look stunning

WTF! Ive been adding cycopleze to the tank along w/ some mysis shrimp and its gone past my rics and zoas plenty of times...I never see anything reach for them, let alone eat them. I wanna see my rics and zoos feast!!! :angry:

any suggestions?

Try DT Oyster Eggs...

any suggestions?

try turning off the flow and set the mysis on the ric u will see it close around it.

avalanche1201

ive tried using a straw to spot feed...ill have to add it directly 2morro and see how that goes. I hope it does eat it b/c it would look amazing

Archived