Pod Your Reef

30g. Cube Florida/Macroalgea Biotope

Fishfreak218

The plan of this tank will to somewhat represent a florida biotope, but will also inclue some things that arent native to florida. One of the main focal points of this tank will be the patch of floating sargassum weed, that will be representing the Sargasso Sea and will be displaying some of the following:

Sargassum Angler:

2qvfmlk.jpg

Sargassum Crabs:

4hljad4.jpg

Sargassum Shrimps:

2qisqrs.jpg

Sargassum Nudibranch (this one is hard to see :)) :

4i7635k.jpg

Misc. Sargassum Fish:

3517pf4.jpg

Sargassum Filefish:

2cqi8vo.jpg

The tank will also have misc. macro algeas such as:

• Caulerpa Prolifera
  • Halmidea
  • Feather Caulerpa
  • Mermaid's Fan
  • Shaving Brush
  • Red Grape Cauerpa (Botryocladia) 2 variations

Also the tank will only have 2 Large chunks of LR, one on the left side and one on the right. One of them has a Large Gorgonian encrusted on it and a Feather Duster and the other has this really cool white sponge on it. Stocking really wont be much besides the sargassum animals. I am trying to decide weather or not to keep the seahorses or get rid of them. Vibrio (a disease common on seahorses) could be among the Sargassum which is one reason I would get rid of them. Besides that I would love to hear stocking suggestions if you have any, possibly a pair of Pearly Jawfish. I will probably add a few more gorgonians to the tank.

Here is my tank set-up:

- 30g. Oceanic Cube

- Custom Sump/Refugium & Stand

- Small Wet/Dry type filter to help produce nitrates for the algea

- Coralife Super Skimmer 65 (debating taking it off for the macro's sake)

- Coralife 1/10 HP Aquachill (it is broken, I need to get a new one)

- Mag 7 return (which has got really slow flow coming out. I need additional flow)

- 3" DSB

- 150w Titanium Heater

- 130w PC (6500k)

- 150w MH (10k)

I think the shine of the metal halide will look really cool shining through the sargassum... Just have to make sure the sargassum doesnt get cooked!

wow this will be a crazy tank with that angler. Wont things be somewhat hard to see because everything is yellow?

Yes, well not EVERYTHING is yellow.. just the sargassum animals and the sargassum. The fish (besides the angler) tend to shoal under the sargassum. The Angler hides in wait for an unsusspecting fish/shrimp/crab inside the sargassum. I would try to find a nice small angler. Nothing to large will be going in here.

Also, they wont be the only inhabitants of the tank. There will be other free swimming fish (or seahorses)

I've always wanted to do a sargasso tank. Just remember, this tank is pointless unless you can find all of the inhabitants yoruself ;) I have caught just about all of those except for the angler and filefish. That was just while I was surfing though. If I actually setup a tank like this, I would go out on a boat.

i have caught all of this stuff already and more (in response to Travissurfer)

do those filefish stay tiny like that? there are huge mats overhere i hope i could find one.

im about 20 mins east of you fishfreak :)

haha really? where are you?

Yeah, Im almost positive they stay small.. and if they get too large you can just bring them back... or the angler will eat them before they get that big

Ohh cool, if you ever have anything for sale lmk.... yeah wow.. did u get a scientific name? 10" huh? bigger than I expected... Well, when they get too big I can return them to the ocean. Also I need to get a boat.. but I dont want to rent one or anything b/c me and my dad dont know how to drive boats lol.. so I guess I will just have to collect off the beach.

It was advised to me to get rid of the seahorses because I will have to have high flow on the sargassum to keep the parts that stick out wet. I think I will take this advice.. plus I dont want to stress the Seahorses with the other fish and stuff

Oh,

well the planting of the Macroalgea can happen as soon as today, but I probably wont get around to it untill next weekend or in the middle of this week. Then I can remove some of the rocks and put them into my 90g. and 50g., then I have to order new bulbs...THEN I have to sell my seahorses, or leave them and see how well they do with the extra flow, and after that I have to buy a wavemaker and some Maxi jets and add them in. After that I have to replace my chiller and then we should be ready for the first of the collecting! It could take me as little as 2-3 weeks. It could take me a month, or I could even probably (if I wanted too) get it done in one week.

Well, I already contacted Big Als about the chiller, she said she needs to find out about the waranty on chillers and then call us back (tomorow). They will most likely send me a new one (I hope)

fingerscrossed then I need to get someone to set-up the new chiller for me, I could have a new chiller in the next few weeks :)

I need your guys' opinions. How much of the tank should I cover with sargassum? The whole top of the tank? 1/2? 1/4? 3/4? Input would be appreciated.. Or just grab one big clump at the beach and plop it in, see how it looks and then maybe get more..

Also I think im going to try and fit in more Florida livestock and keep this an all Florida tank...The angler probably wont be going into the tank since I got some advice on a different forum about them...it is a possibility in the 10g. though if I find one small enough.

Also since the high-ish bioload of this system I have decided to pack my fuge w/ Macroalgea and run the protein skimmer (unless I am reading perfect water quality and the macro starts to decline in health) and If I get the seahorses out I might end up putting my coldwater anemones in here (although it wouldnt be an all florida tank.. but those anemones are kick a$$) opinions?

I would get it from the water, not off of the sand. Also, I would probably try to get it to cover the majority of the top of the tank while allowing some room for growth.

Deffinatly from the water. I might even rent/find someone with a boat and go further out where there is sargassum with more life on it..

That would be a good idea although not entirely necessary. A good set of fins, a net/bucket, some skill, and exercise. Viola! You have yourself some sargasso critters :) A boat might be a bit easier though

Archived