Top Shelf Aquatics

Mr. Fosi's budget 20L

Mr. Fosi

This project finally got some traction & we're moving forward. This will stay in DIY until I have it built, then I will roll this into Member's Tanks.

I made this stand last spring (completed it on 6/20/06, to be exact) and I've been staring at it ever since. It is tall so my young son won't be able to get to the tank once he starts walking. I will probably attach it to the wall with a bracket to reassure my worry-wart wife.

6-20-06%20stand%20with%20doors%20p.jpg

This is what I did this afternoon. Note the nice, long slit that I ground out of the glass.

01.02.06.before.paint.p.jpg

01.02.06.after.paint.p.jpg

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will probably attach it to the wall with a bracket to reassure my worry-wart wife.

Good idea :)

Potential, potential, potential B)

Just a 20L. Screwing to the floor is an interesting idea, but with the tank being so high, I know she'll feel better about having it secured up higher.

I have a 20 M-tank that I would really like to use *wink at bluebastion*, but I just can't seem to get enough $$ for a stand.

Blue: You'll hear from me if you have anything that'll thrive under 130W of PC.

mybuickskill6979

oh snap nice Fosi. i like the overflow slit. discreet and clean. let me know when you get tired of this tank lol i'll gladly take it off your hands!!! :o:haha:omgomgomg:huh:

buick: It might be a while. ;)

bug: Me too. :)

Bobalouy: It looks like you have been working on yours longer than I have been working on mine. My stand cost me less than $15 to make, but I wish it was as nice as yours.

I was going to get the overflow box drilled and siliconed, but I ran out of light. I'll get it done tomorrow.

01.03.06.glass.unwrapped.p.jpg

01.04.06.ready.to.drill.p.jpg

01.04.06.ready.to.drill.closeup.composite.p.jpg

01.04.06.all.done.1.p.jpg

01.04.06.drilling.booboos.p.jpg

01.04.06.assembled.p.jpg

So the next thing is to silicone the box together. Before I do that I am going to make myself a little 90-degree jig that will hold the pieces for me while the silicone cures.

The bulkhead fits really well, 1/16" or less on any side if I push it to one side. Anyone know how tight I should make the bulkhead? I'm not down with cracking the glass...

Also, I just gave away two 10g tanks several weeks ago (before this project gained this new life), so I am now in the market for another one as well as a 2' length of 1" PVC... Anyone in the Columbia area have a 10g and some 1" PVC they are willing to part with (for a price of course)?

And this is apparantly where it ends.

I had the tank outside so I could dremel slots in the plastic for the overflow box. The slots are perfect, but I cracked the back panel when I tried to sit it upright.

I am too pi$$ed to say any more about it right now.

I don't know man... It is so frustrating to have this tank & stand sitting around for months while dreaming of the future only to crack it when I get the chance to realize the dreams.

Originally I had planned to do a 10x10 system, but my retarded self made the stand too big for a 10g to fit on top so I decided to do a 20L because it fit the stand almost perfectly.

My wife feels bad too and she said that she won't protest if I buy another 20L to try again, but this setback has soured by attitude about this tank size. The only thing that keeps bringing me back is the fact that neither of the 130W fixtures that I have will fit a 10g, but they fit a 20L like a dream.

I just can't imagine spending another hour grinding another drain slit while praying that I don't crack the tank yet again.

Ouch, that hurts mr.fosi. I suppose you could do it again, just not really cut into the glass. Since the black trim is siliconed into the top, you could just take that part off and fill the tank with more water.

I wish... When it cracked, it cracked below the slit.

01.06.06.crack.p.jpg

01.06.06.crack.closeup.p.jpg

I've been moping around all weekend... I guess I better snap out of it and figure out what I am going to do because I have only this coming week before I have another round of teaching and classes to take.

70% of me still wants to do the 10x10 system that I originally planned but the other 30% keeps saying, "But your 130W fixtures won't fit a 10g tank!"

I better figure it out quick or I'm gonna be stuck with these two tanks (5.5g & 2.5g) for a long time.

mybuickskill6979

hey fosi why not get a strip like 2X(tank length) of 1/4 inch temper glass and silicone it in place to relieve the stres on it? i'ts not a bad idea. but i'd say if your wife is for it lol take advantage hehe!!

hey fosi why not get a strip like 2X(tank length) of 1/4 inch temper glass and silicone it in place to relieve the stres on it? i'ts not a bad idea. but i'd say if your wife is for it lol take advantage hehe!!

1/4" tempered glass, assuming I could get the correct length, would be almost as much as new tank. The fix would also make me a bit edgy about using the tank, especially since we are 2nd floor tenents with no renter's insurance.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet, buy another tank, and get to grinding... I don't know.

Someone talk me into something! B)

mybuickskill6979

mr fosi thats what im here for hehe.

thats what im saying get a new tank, this time just reinforce it.

or take the rear trim off cut the portion out of the glass and put the trim back on.

Archived