ReefCleaners.org

total photo journal 40g ADA framless tank

RP Beesh

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what your think about the equiment i listed.

1x65watt sunpaq bulb with workhorse3 ballast. reflectore from ahsupply.com

2x1200 maxi jet. only water movement. would that be enough flow?

1x150w Visi-Therm Stealth Heater

1x30lb Aragamax Sand super-fine sand so about 1" sand bed

for now this would be a fish only. but will up grade the lighting in the future for a reef setup. the actual gallon of this tank is about 37g

this tank was very popular for fresh water planted tank. but i love the look of it and going to do a saltwater system. haven't seen one for saltwater so i think this will turn out good

this tank was very popular for fresh water planted tank. but i love the look of it and going to do a saltwater system. haven't seen one for saltwater so i think this will turn out good

even for fish only, you'll need some kind of filtration.

the main problem i see with this eventually being a reef, is that you can't use a hang on skimmer, or other hang on equipment, on a frameless tank like that, or at least, wouldn't imagine you could... maybe an overflow, but filtration will be your biggest issue, reef or not. i'd recommend a big canister with live rock and carbon.

i agree^ it all depends on what you want to keep though. i know that the ahsupply lights are a whole lot brighter than standard pc's though. maybe you could mod a second 65w in there but i think you could be alright for softies.

65w PC on a 40 gallon tank? That will support live rock and some macro algae, but would be minimal for softies, they would have to be placed high/center for them to get the light they need.

what your think about the equiment i listed.

1x65watt sunpaq bulb with workhorse3 ballast. reflectore from ahsupply.com

2x1200 maxi jet. only water movement. would that be enough flow?

1x150w Visi-Therm Stealth Heater

1x30lb Aragamax Sand super-fine sand so about 1" sand bed

for now this would be a fish only. but will up grade the lighting in the future for a reef setup. the actual gallon of this tank is about 37g

if you read this post right here i say i will up grade my lighting in the future. there wont be any hob filtration. i'm not a noob when it come to saltwater system. i don't like filter media and have been doing good with only live rock and cheatos, and water changes. everything will still be hidden . i have a great idea that will keep everything nice and clean.

i guess i should have added that there will be about 50-60lb of LR.

BAH! You can absolutely keep a tank this size without hang-on equipment. Good water movement, ample LR and regular water changes. Plus a low bio-load helps. If occasional skimming were desired, the URT/wetworx skimmer would do the job and weighs very little. Just my opinion.

I like the clean lines on the setup. Good work.

BAH! You can absolutely keep a tank this size without hang-on equipment. Good water movement, ample LR and regular water changes. Plus a low bio-load helps. If occasional skimming were desired, the URT/wetworx skimmer would do the job and weighs very little. Just my opinion.

I like the clean lines on the setup. Good work.

that was the plan with the utr skimmer. i did a few of those and it does work. but do your think 2 maxi jet 1200 be enought? to me that is enough but any other suggestion?

Tanks like this have been done, do a search for Zen style tanks. Minimal equipment showing, clean flowing lines. I would drill the back for a closed loop and paint the background black, plumb a sump to hide skimmer and equipment.Problem solved.

but do you think 2 maxi jet 1200 be enough?

That, I cannot say. I'm not familiar with those powerheads. It depends on how your rock will be set up. It depends on what kind of corals or fish you want. Personally, I tend to feel that the average nano reef here has an insanely high amount of flow. So on the topic of flow, I am an odd man out and I tend to keep quiet. Try them & see what you think?

I would drill the back for a closed loop and paint the background black, plumb a sump to hide skimmer and equipment.Problem solved.

What problem?

Tanks like this have been done, do a search for Zen style tanks. Minimal equipment showing, clean flowing lines. I would drill the back for a closed loop and paint the background black, plumb a sump to hide skimmer and equipment.Problem solved.

i was saying that i haven't seen a "ADA tank" done for SW, not a tank with minimal equpment showing.

thank for the suggestion. the one reason i bought this tank because i don't want to paint the back panal. it takes away the look of the clean lines on the tank.

and i dont want any drilling on this tank.

keep the suggestion or any comment up. good idea your have suggested.

You seem to be a good DIYer so...

I would do the 2 maxijets but I would get the 900's and mod them. There is a thread somewhere that has the mod laid out and you can get a very high amount of flow with that mod.

The reason I am suggesting the 900's is because most people who have done this mod have noted lower heat changes as compared to the 1200's.

The stand is very nice.

There is a ADA out with built in overflow now on the site.

I would also suggest adding a canister filter with an inline heater or I think Ehim has one that is inside the canister. Would work well with a spraybar for surface aggitation and get the heater out of the tank. One less piece of equipment to look at.

I have a FW tank w/o the painted background and It does not look too bad. You can always use a removable background.

What are your fish plans?

I love that tank, I have been wanting one since I got into fresh water planted tanks several years ago. ADA is a great company, just wish they had more of a presence in the US. I like your idea of the clean look without painting the back, there is a guy on here, Jemram who has a similar cube tank, I think he drilled the bottom and used a canister filter for all of his flow and it works great for him.

By the time he spends the money on the wave timer and three Maxi-Jet 1200s, he may as well buy a pair of Tunze Nano Streams.

$90 for 3MJs and a wavemaker

$124 for 2 nanostreams

I win

Archived