SaltCritters.com

sylicone cure time? absolute minimum?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i ran into a snag. i got my entire horse tank set up, and the sylicone on my overflow gave out at the bottom.(came unstuck from the overflow)

i had to completely empty the aquarium and patch up the overflow. i have fish in buckets all over the house.

how long before its safe to fill the aquarium again. full cure is 24hours.

can i risk filling it sooner?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

thanks budy. went out and got a quick fix.

a bucket big enough to house the contents of the aquarium for a couple days just to be safe.

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg

Now slap a halide over that bucket, and you've got yourself the latest craze in nano reefing!

That Gorg just blows me away. Nice score.

mybuickskill6979

dude put a heater on it and i'd say a good 18-20 hours would be absolutely minimum.

dude is that tank completely custom? that ###### looks clean dude. how big is that tank?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
dude put a heater on it and i'd say a good 18-20 hours would be absolutely minimum.

dude is that tank completely custom? that ###### looks clean dude. how big is that tank?

actually its 2 completely custom aquariums.

24x24x12" and 24x24x18"

IMG_2038.jpg

heres the thread of the work in progress

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103386

That Gorg just blows me away. Nice score.

its the best one i've seen in a home aquarium. :)

mybuickskill6979

its hellah clean man. what up with the top one? just the actinic on it?

dude i got to say mad props im a go check that thread right now!! i wish you the best with it man. why not dis assemble it get a piece of glass cut the current size plus a place for the overflow? that way you would have to worry about it falling off?

72 hours is the safe cure time for silicone that will contact water/livestock. It will reach maximum strength in this time and will be fully cured and will not leach. Silicone gasses and leaches acetic acid as it cures.

Prof.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
its hellah clean man. what up with the top one? just the actinic on it?

dude i got to say mad props im a go check that thread right now!! i wish you the best with it man. why not dis assemble it get a piece of glass cut the current size plus a place for the overflow? that way you would have to worry about it falling off?

yeah you caught the tank with the halide off. :)

i would have used glass for the overflow, but cutting teeth in the top would be next to impossible.

that sucks that the silicone let go on you. That worries me now that the baffles that I put into my fuge yesterday aren't going to hold when I fill it full of water, perhaps I'll reinforce them against one another before I go any further.

72 hours is going to seem like an eternity with everything sitting in that big bucket. That bucket pic really shows how big that gorg is, wow

That worries me now that the baffles that I put into my fuge yesterday aren't going to hold when I fill it full of water, perhaps I'll reinforce them against one another before I go any further.

I did a similar thing on a project tank I put together some months ago.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=77662&st=0

Be sure to fill on both sides of the baffles to minimize stress.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

lesson learned. :) i wish i would have seen your post a few days sooner.

the overflows in the corner. since the water weight forces it to the wall, i figured i'd be ok. the weight of the water flexed the overflow, and it gave out at the bottom in the center where its not supported by the walls.

i probably would have been better off putting a 90* bend in the acylic and making a square instead off triangular overflow in the corner.

i just wanted to use up as little space as possible.

I know what you mean about not wanting to use much space. I used a diagonal overflow in my 1.6 pico so I wouldn't use too much space but the overflow for my 20H is huge(3"x7") in order to surround the durso.

non-photosynt

Time of silicone curing: I had time and waited 5 days, with following filling with fresh water for a few hours and removing it, repeated twice.

i just wanted to use up as little space as possible.

I am familiar with that feeling. :)

Phat: No, I didn't get it running. I found out soon after I built it that my wife and I would be moving here to SC (from PA) and I didn't want to have to move yet another tank.

It is actually sitting right next to me at my desk here at school. I plan to get it up and running at the beginning of next semester (Read: Jan/Feb). I am thinking of making it a macro garden, if only icy & I could figure out a way to get macro across the border without it turning to sewage (and I could get a little extra $$ to pay the shipping). ;)

I find it funny seeing someone trying to figure out a way to get stuff shipped to the US, it is usually us (Canadians) trying to get stuff up here. I hope you get it up and running, it would be a great little tank.

Icy - hope the overflow hold for you thing time, I'm sure you'll keep us posted.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i'm gonna cheat and fill it with lr rubble to brace the wall. i'll add some course sand also. figure it will prevent the rock from appling presure to the glass i any i give spot.

i've also added alot of extra silicone :)

i've been doing some reading and i guess cure times differ depending on temp and moister in the air.

the silicone no longer smells, but i'll take your guys word that its not safe to proceed until 72hours after the fact.

what really ###es me off, is this silicone if for aquarium use. you'd figure a company suppling a product for livestock would get thier info correct. i wonder how many peeps have lost fish because they followed the dirrection on the label and added livestock after 24 hours.

on the otherhand, i did find some extreemly fast curing silicone during my websearching last night.

apparently the fast cure silicone does not create any curing byproducts like acetic acid or methyal alcohol.

good thing to know for the next leak. lol

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

ok i just got of the phone with a ge sealant technition.

he swears there product reaches full cure in 24hours no matter how thick you apply it.

when i challanged his knowledge he proceeded to tell me he's worked with/answered question about ge sealant of over 15 years, and reffered to himself as a professional.

he was actually quite rude.

soooo, does this guy know something we dont know about the product, or is he just talkin out his a$$?

sketchy, but I still would give it the extra time to be safe, would hate to see your tank crash due to the silicone not being fully set.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

well 49 hours and i'm out of options.

i'm not sure what is causing the problem but the bucket of fish are not fairing so well.

my pipes floating/panting, all my horses are bobbing near the top of the water. my shrimps look bad and my sailfin went carpet surfing.

i've tested my water and it seems to be o.k (nitrates are noticable but not toxic)

i have a pretty big powerhead in the bucket and a heater. i'm just wondering if the macro is somehow sucking the oxygen out of the water.

thier heading to thier new home as we speak. i know its a risk, but i'f i dont do something, i'm gonna loose everything.

i wonder if the rubbermaid bucket has something to do with it.

wish me luck :(

rinsed out the aquarium a few times. and i'm ready for the move.

btw, its only been 47hours, not 49.

i'm gonna be kicking myself over this for years to come, i just know it.

Archived