inTank Media Baskets

my dream system is almost a reality!

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i have wanted a custom system consisting of 2, 24x24" aquariums for sometime now.

my girlfriend said no more aquariums until we purchase our first home. let me tell ya it was a real chore to work this. but hey, the sea horses will be out of the back room and into our living room. she should be happy! :P

while the girlfriend was outta town for the weekend, i started the construction of the stand. i have my first of 2 custom aquariums, (24x24x12") and the second should arrive friday. (24x24x18"). i still dont have a sump, but i'm working on it :).

i've got alot still left to do.framing/ skinning the aquarium stand, drilling holes in the aquarium (somebody didnt place the order correctly :( ) pluming, canopy,electrical etc etc.

i'll update the thread as i go along.

well here's my dream system starting to take shape. its not a 200g aquarium, but its exactly what i wanted :)

IMG_1697.jpg

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

well basicly i'm gonna take my 30g tall reef

IMG_1027.jpg

and lay it flat on its back :) this will be home to the mandies firefish and clowns that reside in my reef.

the 18" tall aquarium will sit on the bottom shelf houseing my horses,macro's etc.

the custom sump will be 24x24x10. i'm yet to deside if i'm gonna split the sump in 2 and run 2 completely seperate systems, or connect all 3 aquariums together.

mybuickskill6979
I hope you get married before you buy that home. Rule #1. Never buy a home with a girl/boy friend.

let me amend that....

with out a preuptual agreement lol.

but other wise i totally agree.

ialways recommend a prenup hehe.

SCREW VAGI|\|@mony!! lol.

TOM LEYKUS ROCKS!!!

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

ya know, i've been with my girl friend for 13 years. i trust her with my life.

and theres very few people i'd say that about. :)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

well today i worked on my manifold. i want this system to be as clean as possible.

i set up the manifold to fit perfectly in the trim of the aquarium (which will be hidden from view by the canopy) i have 4 outlets, and each will be fitted with locline and nossle. this should give me total control when it comes to changing flow, but at the same time keeping all unsightly plumbing /powerheads out of the aquarium. the 4 nossles will sit just below the surface of the water, but all other plumping will be above the waters surface. i gave the cpvc pipe a coat of krylon (for plastic) so it blends right in.

its only a 30g aquarium but i'd like strong flow through all 4 nossles. my feed line is 3/4" the manifold 1/2". i have 5.5" of head preasure to deal with and 1- 45* and 2- 90* fittings before the manifold.

i was thinking of a mag 9.5, but i'm worried it wont be enough. do you think i should go with the mag12? or stick with the 9.5?

IMG_1710.jpg

btw i will have a sheet of 1/2" ply under the aquarium before the projet has water :)

Love your idea on how to hide the powerheads by using that manifold really good idea..... Might end up stealing that if you don't mind. Tank looks great can wait to see it completed, keep us posted.

let me amend that....

with out a preuptual agreement lol.

but other wise i totally agree.

ialways recommend a prenup hehe.

SCREW VAGI|\|@mony!! lol.

TOM LEYKUS ROCKS!!!

I concur!

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

as much as i'd like to take credit for the idea, i've seen many a manifold here on nr.

now if my loc line fittings show up, i'll be set :)

think i'm gonna go with the mag 12, and put a valve/return line to the sump. (on the main display feed)

figured i might as well go big and make the flow rate ajustable

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

spent the day making purchases and working on the aquarium. i didnt get it finished but i'm close :) (or as close as i can be until the second tank and sump arrive.)

picked up a mag 9.5 (my lfs said i could return it if it was too small),bulkhead,hole saw (care of my lfs) and a few other odds and ends.

first order of business, drilling the aquarium. i've never actually drilled an aquarium before so i was alittle nervous.

drilled a hole into the a 2x4 scrape to match the hole saw clamped it and a second piece of 2x4 to either side of the aquarium.

IMG_1721.jpg

the 2x4 actually holds water quite well (keeping the saw cool is key!)

IMG_1722.jpg

i took my time, went slow and kept the project wet. things went of without a hitch. :)

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

i didnt get the stand quite finished. i still have to frame the very bottom ( to mimic the large rail around the top aquarium) and mount one more door (missing panel)

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1735_2.jpg

the panel swings open to allow me to access the bottom aquarium. ( the sump below will be done the same, but open to the side.) once i get the canopy constructed, the stand/canopy should hid all the black plastic trim. i'm hoping the end result will look like one tall aquarium.

I am going to have to drop by and see this in person! This is looking really good...and unique....but what else could we expect from you? :lol:

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
I am going to have to drop by and see this in person! This is looking really good...and unique....but what else could we expect from you? :lol:

hey martin, anytime!

non-photosynt
ya know, i've been with my girl friend for 13 years. i trust her with my life.

and theres very few people i'd say that about. :)

No melted Pb into my throat:

Was there, did that (my life, not the house) - all ends with the birth of the first child. :(

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

well i started again early :) but i could do with some help. i gotta head out to pick up some supplies. while i'm out i'd like to get glue for a very specific task.

glueing loc-line to cpvc.

heres the problem. originally i was going to unions, but the only ones available to me are these big ugly things. (not impressed)

IMG_1770.jpg

the 1/2" loc line does however fit on the 1/2" t fitting. its a good fit, but it will need glue to keep it water tight.

IMG_1760.jpg

(this is all the surplus loc line i have left, each will be approx 8 moduals long instead of 4, when my order comes in)

what do you suggest. i'm gluing cpvc to loc line. heres the info about the locline itself

The material used to manufacture Loc-Line is an acetal copolymer. This material, in accordance to the rules in 21 CFR 177.2470, meets the requirements of this regulation for food contact. All colorants are used at the recommended let-down ration and meet 21 CFR 178.3297 for food contact.

i was thinking gorilla glue? any better idea's? the cpvc solvent didnt work.

Archived