30 replies to this topic

ChrisS

ChrisS

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 03 Oct 2006
  • Washington, DC

Iíve been thinking about starting a nano tank. I donít have much marine experience; I just started my 1st tank about 4 months ago (itís a 29g seahorse tank).

I found a good deal on a used 10g custom tank from my local aquarium club and decided to get it. Then I saw this contest and thought itíd be fun to join in. I just have a couple of problems: 1) Iím a newb so the learning curve may be a bit steeper for me and 2) $$$. I spent enough getting my seahorses so I donít have much to spend on this tank.

So I decided that Iím setting a budget of $500 for this tank (that's my spending limit for hte duration of the contest). I already have some basic suplies but I decided that I'm going to treat this as if I'm starting from scratch. Everything I use for this tank is going to be included in the budget. So follow along and see if a newbie can create a nice looking nano without spending a fortune.

Tank
This tank has a disply area of 15Ē long, 10Ē wide, and 12Ē tall. It has a false back with an additional 3Ē behind the display area. This tank was purchased used and I believe it may be a custom tank.

Lighting
Lighting is Solar Lighting PC system. It has two 27 watt 10k daylight bulbs right now but Iím planning on replacing the bulbs. I got this used and the last owner hadnít replaced the bulb in quite a while.

Substrate
Substrate is oolithic sand, 2-3Ē deep. Most was dry sand (Marine Life brand) and a cup of live to seed it.

Filtration
My filtration is just the live rock and macros in the Ďbuilt iní fuge behind the false back.
Water is pumped through the system using a Rio 50 (69 gph). I donít plan to use a skimmer.

Additional water flow
I may add another small powerhead to increase flow in the future. Iím not sure exactly what this may be yet.

Temperature
AGA 50 watt heater

Water
Instant Ocean mix with RO water.

Stocking
Iím not sure on this yet. I have several zoa and paly frags destined for this tank. Since this tank just has PC lights itíll likely be mostly softies. Iím planning to mostly start with small frags that I get through trading with other reefers. Iíll likely add a small barnacle blenny and maybe a clown goby or some other small goby.

Attached Files

ReefApprentice

ReefApprentice

Acropora....suhweeeet!

• Banned by Moderators
  • 2,202 posts
  • Joined 10 Mar 2006
  • Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Looking good so far. I think your tank is a modded AGA 10.
Alex

ChrisS

ChrisS

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 03 Oct 2006
  • Washington, DC

Looking good so far. I think your tank is a modded AGA 10.
Alex

Thanks for the info.
Here's the sand going in yesterday and the rockwork. I may rearrange some more later. I have several dead, dry coral peices that I may add to the rockwork.

Attached Files

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

Space Dog!

• Administrator
  • 8,783 posts
  • Joined 22 Jun 2001
  • Phoenix, AZ

Tank
This tank has a disply area of 15Ē long, 10Ē wide, and 12Ē tall. It has a false back with an additional 3Ē behind the display area. This tank was purchased used and I believe it may be a custom tank.

Holy crap! That's one of my aquariums! I used to sell custom nano reefs from 02-03 under the brand Nano Reef Aquaria. That's a rare aquarium, hand made by yours truly.
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

jeremai

jeremai

an island of reality in an ocean of diarrhea

• Premium Members
  • 27,121 posts
  • Joined 08 Nov 2005
  • Las Vegas
Bias! I call shenanigans! :rant:

:)

pretty sure jer was referring to the length

reef information and articles
photography, writing, etc.

adinsxq

adinsxq

hello kitty

• Moderators
  • 14,532 posts
  • Joined 30 Sep 2002
  • CA, VA
OMG ONE OF THE CHRIS MARKS SPECIAL

Long live the CM!

ChrisS

ChrisS

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 03 Oct 2006
  • Washington, DC

Holy crap! That's one of my aquariums!

LOL! What are the chances?

I'll try to do the fine craftsmanship of this rare aquarium justice. ;)

ChrisS

ChrisS

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 03 Oct 2006
  • Washington, DC
So since I said this tank was going to be a tank on a budget I thought Iíd share what Iíve spend so far.

Tank, light, rio, live rock $80.00
Sand $11.99
Heater $28.99

Supplies:
IO Salt $11.98
Hydrometer $ 7.99
Test Kit $15.99
Calc test kit $ 7.99
Alk test kit $ 6.49

Total Supplies $171.42

And hereís a pic of the tank ready to stock:

Attached Files

ChrisS

ChrisS

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 03 Oct 2006
  • Washington, DC
Pics of some of my stock...

I made out at my local club's (WAMAS) meeting this past weekend. :D I spend $50 for about 30 polyps of some nice blues, pinks, and green star zoas. I also cme away with a much of free frags of zoas, mushrooms, kenya, monti cap, galexia, and macros. Below is just a sampling.....

Attached Files

crrichey

crrichey

Registered member

• Members
  • 2,646 posts
  • Joined 12 Oct 2004
  • Phoenix, Arizona

Bias! I call shenanigans! :rant:

Deffinatly shenanigans!!!

BTW bravo on spelling shenanigans :lol:

Your diet lacks wholesome foodstuffs. Try adding some beer. Hans Dorn

adinsxq

adinsxq

hello kitty

• Moderators
  • 14,532 posts
  • Joined 30 Sep 2002
  • CA, VA
yellow polyps or SUPER COOL ZOOS?

Long live the CM!

ChrisS

ChrisS

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 03 Oct 2006
  • Washington, DC

yellow polyps or SUPER COOL ZOOS?

I'm not sure. Traded some macro for them... owner just said they were yellow polyps. I was expecting to get yellow button polyps (like those mixed in with the zoas). Instead I got these. I've had them about 2 months now with no change, but they were in a QT with almost no lighting (there was a bunch of bryopsis on the rock with them; algea is dead these guys made it).

I'm hoping they stay just like they are! And grow and make babies of course.

sandlot13

sandlot13

Nano Nerd

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • Joined 21 Aug 2005
  • Boise, ID
those are freakin sweet zoas! if they grow, you are a lucky person!
addicted to saltwater..... period

Tightrope

Tightrope

Walking Without a Net

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Joined 10 Sep 2006
  • Tucson, AZ
Wow, those are beautiful. I need to get me some of those purple ones.

Gorgeous. I cannot wait to see how this tank progresses.

ChrisS

ChrisS

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 03 Oct 2006
  • Washington, DC
Time to go shopping for some CUC. My tank has that nice rusty diatom bloom.

I'm thinking a couple of nassarius snails or bubble bee snails, a couple of Cerith, and maybe 1 astrea. I'm considering a Porcelain Crab as well. Not quite decided on that yet. I'll be making the rounds at my LFSs this weekend and I'll see what I find.

I need to get some more flow in here too.

Trying to decide what I want to do for more flow. Has anyone used the Hydor FLO Rotating Deflector? How did you like it? How does it work on a smaller pump?

In the mean time here are some more pics.

Attached Files

ChrisS

ChrisS

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 03 Oct 2006
  • Washington, DC
So I got some of my CUC. 1 Astraea, 2 Ceriths, 2 Nassi, snails and a Stomatella. I plan to still add a couple of Porcelain Crabs.

My LFS got in some Trimma Gobies. They had 6 yesterday and only one was left today. I just had to bring it home. Itís so cute and tiny, barely an inch. Hereís a pic while it was acclimating and getting a FW dip. I havenít seen it since I put it in my tank this morning but Iím hoping itíll come out more when it gets settled in.

Attached Files

ChrisS

ChrisS

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 03 Oct 2006
  • Washington, DC
Well not much to report right now. My tank went through the diatom stage and now is going through a cyano outbreak along with a bit of hear algae. I might need to beef up my CUC. Iíve been doing weekly water changes and water parameters are good. Am-0, Ni-0, Na-0, pH 8.0-8.2. This tank only has one small goby so not much bioload.

I know itís common for new tanks to have cyanoÖI just need to be patient and let it right itself. In the mean time Iím doing water changes and vacuuming up patches of cyano as they appear.

I bought a few more corals so once they get here Iíll be doing some aquascaping and Iíll post some pics.

Hereís how my budget is fairing so far:

Tanks and Supplies 171.42
Clean up Crew 8.94
Corals (Zoas and Softies) 130.00
Fish (Trimma Goby) 24.95
Total at end of Oct. 335.31

That leaves about $165 left of my original $500 budget.

ChrisS

ChrisS

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 03 Oct 2006
  • Washington, DC
I spent yesterday afternoon aquascaping and tying to figure out how to fit in some new stock. The tank is pretty full now. I may have to remove some as they grow...we'll see. Here's the final results.

I'm getting some nice growth on some of my corals. Seveal of the zoas have been adding new polyps. My red and green frogspawn split heads and the green and pink frogspawn is in the process of splitting. My hairy mushroom split. My Galaxia was just a couple of small broken heads...now it's encrusting all around the older mouths and starting to grow some new ones.

Attached Files

ChrisS

ChrisS

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 03 Oct 2006
  • Washington, DC
Hey, that aquascaping not bad...good effort for your 1st nano.
Looks like you're pretty well stocked.
Those pink zoas are sweet.

Thanks...I like those zoas myself.

I know aquascaping is tough...but I think this turned out ok. I'll have to see how it looks when everythig grows in.

Hello!!!!!!!

Why do I feel like I'm talking to myself here? :huh:

Edited by ChrisS, 20 November 2006 - 08:02 PM.

seabass

seabass

Do I look serious?

• Premium Members
  • 12,838 posts
  • Joined 03 Jun 2003
  • Iowa

Hello!!!!!!! Why do I feel like I'm talking to myself here? :huh:

I usually take a knife and remove the frags from the prop discs, but I do like it.

Don't Be a Jerk (It's Christmas)

sandlot13

sandlot13

Nano Nerd

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • Joined 21 Aug 2005
  • Boise, ID
impressive first tank...... reminds me of mine somewhat when i started! Cept I tried to keep it under 500 and couldnt........ but i tried! keep us posted on how its going!
addicted to saltwater..... period

doomicon

doomicon

Junior Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 17 Feb 2005
I really dig this tank! I love the aquascaping, and the livestock. Bro, when they all start growing, this is going to look absolutely gorgeous!

Keep the pics coming, this is one thread I'm watching :D

This is your first tank????

ChrisS

ChrisS

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 03 Oct 2006
  • Washington, DC
Thanks guys.

This nano it my 1st effort at a reef tank.

I have a seahorse tank that I've had going for about 6 months. It's moslty all macros with a suncoral, leather, and a few polyps.

I'm hoping it'll grow in well. Some of the zoas are doing great and reproducing. A couple of the most colorful ones are looking a bit light stresses. They're elongating and colors are dimming. I'm trying to figure out how to add a bit more lighting without adding too much to the cost. I'm thinking I might add one or two of those corkscrew type screw in PC bulbs. But then I'd need to figure out some type of hood. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking about ditching the kenya tree. I'm already sick of it dropping stems all the time...plus it seems like it's too tall for this tank. Any ideas for a replacement? I like the vertical height but maybe just need something a bit smaller the won't outgrow this tank quite so fast.

ChrisS

ChrisS

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 03 Oct 2006
  • Washington, DC
I thought I should get another update and some tank pics up before Christmas. My Trimma goby didnít make it. :tears: It had ich and didnít survive. As I had already introduced it to the tank (no QTÖstupid move) I was tying to treat with Kick-Ich so I didnít have to try to catch it. One day it was eating fine, some spots but no too bad. Then it disappeared never to be seen again. So now the tank is running without fish for 6 weeks to kill the ich. Then I might try to restock with some more gobies. I liked the little trimmas but I may go with some barnacle blennies, or I also like the green-barred gobies. This time I'll QT them.
Iíll have to look around and see what I can find for small gobies or bennies.

I bought two Tunze minis to get some additional flow in the tank. So far Iíve only added one of them to the tank. I really like the small profile! I also picked up a Fission nano-skimmer in a trade. The skimmer has been in the tank just two days so Iím still working out the flow and trying to cut down on the micro-bubbles. This is the 1st skimmer Iíve tried to set up so I imagine itíll take some playing with to get it figured out and running correctly.

Hereís the latest breakdown of my budget:

Tanks and Supplies 195.66
Clean up Crew 17.93
Corals (Zoas and Softies) 240.00
Fish (Trimma Goby) 24.95
Total at end of Dec. 478.54

So Iím real close to my $500 limit. If I stock some more fish this will likely but me over my limit. HummmmÖshould I count a Christmas present in my budget?

And here's some pics. Not the greatest pics but you get the idea. I was excited to see my porcelain crab out tonight. I almost never see him so it was nice that he cooperated with some picture taking. The full tank shot is a little fuzzy and the microbubbles aren't helping.

Attached Files

Edited by ChrisS, 19 December 2006 - 06:58 PM.

ChrisS

ChrisS

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 03 Oct 2006
  • Washington, DC
Some new additions.....

Attached Files