SaltCritters.com

[Custom] distantfire

distantfire

Yeah, I really want to see how this works out. Keep going. I almost want to copy your design without even seeing if it works.

You have until Oct. 20th to enter a system. That'd why I even mentioned it. And why new people are still slowly entering the contest.

I plan on entering but I'l be closer to the 20th deadline than the 1st.

I'm going to finish building it paneubert. Because it's something that I have been thinking about doing for the last 5 months. And I thought it would be ok to enter it in this contest. Because it's more than a 10 plus gal. nano system. I don't know for sure if it will work because I haven't done it. But it look's like it should work when I draw it on paper. There use to be a old marbel company here in town. And I remember year's ago using a piece of there white marbel. To keep my direct drive turn table nice and level. I'm hopeing to find a couple small pieces of that marbel to use for the tops of the 2 lower raised platforms. And I'm still debateing on which return pump to get for the squid. So stay tuned and you will see this system put together.

I guess I have until Oct 20th to find something else to throw together for this contest.

mkimpossible
You have until Oct. 20th to enter a system. That'd why I even mentioned it. And why new people are still slowly entering the contest.

I plan on entering but I'l be closer to the 20th deadline than the 1st.

ditto, i really don't know if i can get it done under that deadline. :unsure:so you can't do the three tanks now? are you going to upsize one and section it off instead then?

Mkimpossible as I mentioned earlier I have never been in one of these contests before. I just wanted to give this custom event a try. Because I have been into doing custom work on small tanks for a while now. Here's a sample of some of my earlier 2.5gal custom work.

At this late stage of the game. I really don't know for sure what I will be entering. I drew up a couple idea's tonight that would work for a 10gal tank. But I don't want another 10gal tank because IMO they are not nano's. And I don't want a 7gal tank because I have no use for it. And I found out this afternoon that it's suppose to start snowing here on Wednesday.

Sorry about the double picture in my last reply. I snaped these pictures of my earlier work and idea's. With a camera that I borrowed from a friend. Enjoy

I went and looked at one of the 7gal minibow's. And the only thing I found interesting was the curved front glass. The price was pretty steep to 74 dollars plus tax. I also looked at the 9 gallon Iube arcylic cylinder tank Petsmart had online. And I thought that it had custom possibiltys. But I found out from the girl working at Petsmart that they leaked and parts were missing. So they put them on clearance and got rid of them all.

Being still in the mood for a cylinder type tank project. I went to a wine making supply store. I looked at carboys but they were to big and I could not justify spending 55 dollars for a demijohn.

I spent the last 2 day's thinking about having a small reef inside of a bottle. So this afternoon I went to the liquor store. And bought a bottle of wine and tiny bottle of baileys Irish cream. I tryed to post a picture of them but I got a attached files is greater than my per post global limit BS error message. So the pic's will have to wait until I can get that figured out.

I hope this wine bottle dosen't shatter on me. It don't look like tempered glass but I don't for sure if it is or not. I got my dremel and I'm ready to give it a try.

PS I got the pictures uploaded under my name in the members gallery.

Well I got my wine bottle reef well under way. Dremeling the glass was not to bad, it's about the same thickness as a 10gal AGA. I even got one of my favorite drinks inside the wine bottle. File attachment is still messed up on here. But you can find the pictures in members gallery under my name.

ProFlatlander15

Hey distant, watch the external overflow on the tank you have there. I did something like that to 2 29Gs and they both broke in the same way. I dont think the tak is made for that much weight on the back. Just an FYI, I am not saying it will happen. Maybe place a piece of wood under the overflow to absorb some of the weight just to be safe.

Everything else looks great!

Hi Proflatlander it's been a while. I understand what you mean about the extra weight of the water being inside the overflow box. I have never had any of my tanks break from that. But I can see where it could happen if the overflow box was made big. And the 90deg elbow on the standpipe was put a little high inside the box. The overflow box would then be a bit more top heavy. And that would put a strain on the back of the tank thus causing it to break.

I have to drop out of this years contest for a few reasons. Number {1} I messed up when I bought my tanks. Because I was trying to stay under the 22 gallon total volume limit. Number {2} I had a pump stop working on me for no reason at all. And I had to spend the money to replace it. Number {3} I don't need or even want another 10 gallon tank. The one I have now is divided and I'm going to tear it down next spring. And number {4} the weather turned really cold fast. We have snow on the ground and it's only Oct. 11th

But I had fun being in this contest for a while. And when it's over I will read about what the other players did. And hopefuly learn more about this great hobby in the meantime. If I had more time for this contest I would have built my own tank. Because IMO a custom tank is something that you put together yourself. But then I could be wrong there also. Because there are differnt interpertations of things that are custom.

Right now I'm working on turning a 4L Wine bottle into a small reef. It's been a fun project so far and it kinda reminds me of the old ship in a bottle type of deal. You can see the pic's. of it under my name in the members gallery.

ProFlatlander15

Dropping out!? That's too bad, I like the uniqueness of your setup. However, i would love to follow the Wine bottle reef, have you started a thread about that yet?

I didn't start a thread on my Wine bottle reef. I just started working on it yesterday. And I got some pic's of it and put them in the members gallery under my name.

I won't be able to do anymore work on it for at least a week. Because my older brother passed away this afternoon. This saturday I'm flying down to Arkansaw to attend his funeral.

I didn't start a thread on my Wine bottle reef. I just started working on it yesterday. And I got some pic's of it and put them in the members gallery under my name.

I won't be able to do anymore work on it for at least a week. Because my older brother passed away this afternoon. This saturday I'm flying down to Arkansaw to attend his funeral.

What horrible news!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank's everybody it's been real hard on me. Losing my older brother because we were good friends. And I'm sorry I had to remove my pictures. But it was because I ran out of room to post more. It seems Nano-Reef.com has a 20MB limit on pictures posted in threads. And I had a lot of pictures of my work posted in older threads.

I haven't done much lately except stay sober and work. Last week I came up with a idea for a 10gal. project that I'm going to try doing. And I will start a thread on it when the time is right. Thank's again everybody for well wishes.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank's everybody it's been real hard on me. Losing my older brother because we were good friends. And I'm sorry I had to remove my pictures. But it was because I ran out of room to post more. It seems Nano-Reef.com has a 20MB limit on pictures posted in threads. And I had a lot of pictures of my work posted in older threads.

I haven't done much lately except stay sober and work. Last week I came up with a idea for a 10gal. project that I'm going to try doing. And I will start a thread on it when the time is right. Thank's again everybody for well wishes.

man...I wish you the best of luck...i'm sure God has plans for him and he is in a better place. I'll keep you and him in my prayers (I'm sure God knows distanfire's name :))

Thank you ezcompany it's really hard loosing people in your own family. Because you alway's think that it's going to happen to somebody else. I lost my dad on feb. 13 1992 and now my brother who just passed away. Lost his 18 year old daughter 2 years ago in a car accident. I know my brother is with his daughter and our dad in heaven now. The hardest part for me is not being able to talk to them everyday except in prayer.

Thank you ezcompany it's really hard loosing people in your own family. Because you alway's think that it's going to happen to somebody else. I lost my dad on feb. 13 1992 and now my brother who just passed away. Lost his 18 year old daughter 2 years ago in a car accident. I know my brother is with his daughter and our dad in heaven now. The hardest part for me is not being able to talk to them everyday except in prayer.

I am sure they are mad at you for giving up on the tank! I say you give your tank a special meaning and dedicate it to your brother as an ode to his past. But of course, thats totally your call. I hope you pull through this moment and let me know if there's anything I can do.

Thank's a lot ezcompany for your offer to help me. I will be moving in a few months to be closer to my job. And I'm still building the tank system in memory of brother. He liked seeing my fish and the cleaner shrimp. He also liked all the glass & wood work that I did. And I liked sharing those pictures with him and my mom down there in Arkansas.

I've been keeping myself busy working a new 2.5gal fuge idea. The pictures of it will be in the members gallery very soon. I just have to stay under the 20MB picture limit here on N-R.com. And that's very hard to do because I have lot's of pictures. Maybe N-R.com will see it's way clear to give me more picture space someday.

Thank's a lot ezcompany for your offer to help me. I will be moving in a few months to be closer to my job. And I'm still building the tank system in memory of brother. He liked seeing my fish and the cleaner shrimp. He also liked all the glass & wood work that I did. And I liked sharing those pictures with him and my mom down there in Arkansas.

I've been keeping myself busy working a new 2.5gal fuge idea. The pictures of it will be in the members gallery very soon. I just have to stay under the 20MB picture limit here on N-R.com. And that's very hard to do because I have lot's of pictures. Maybe N-R.com will see it's way clear to give me more picture space someday.

Get a free Photobucket account. :) That way, you'll have plenty of space.

• 4 months later...
distantfire

Thanks tightrope here is some of the pics I added to my photobucket account. So I'm going to try and post them here.

2-2.jpg

2-3.jpg

2-4.jpg2-5.jpg2-6.jpg

2-7.jpg

I hope they show up because I'm new at posting from photobucket LOL

Thank's again for the photobucket information.

Archived