Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

how much did your nano cost?

Jared

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great thread for us newbies.

Sometimes when I think of the cost involved, I consider staying freshwater only. But then I read a few more pages of Bornemans book or visit this forum. :lol:

Over $600 so far and I've not yet added fish :scarry: (check out link in my sig for a breakdown of costs)

However, that said ... I consider it money very well spent. And I'm delaying or perhaps even reconsidering the eventual addition of fish.

best tip: find your local reef club. if you don't have one, start one. I got LR, sand, and 80% of my frags for my nano this way and saved a TON of money. there's no way to do this hobby cheap, but if you network, have some limited DIY skills and ingenuity you can wind up spending A LOT less than most people in this thread.

$1700 CAN for my 15H nano. Actually cost less to setup my 60 gallon FOWLR. I used expensive lr rock and equipment though (the tank is as automated as it can get).

Id budget $1500 at LEAST for a nano if this is your first attempt in this hobby. There are lots of little things to buy.

The good thing about this hobby is you dont have to do everything all at once. Tank, LR/LS, refractometer, heater, supplements, test kits and upgrade pump (if a NC or AP). After that if your paitent you can wait for a while to start corals and inverts and fish. Thats what I did.

AP 24 $139.99

B-Inoic calcium & alk. $16.99

30 lbs. LS & 30lbs. LR $150.00

Refractometer $45.00

Test kits $50.00

Heater $30.00

Ugraded pump (Rio 1400) $40.00

Salt mix $30.00

bucket for mixing salt and other things $7.00

Gravel vaccum $15.00

Carbon & media bag $15.00

GRAND TOTAL $538.98

Did I miss anything?

20h aga - $40

ac110 - $40

ac powerhead - $18

heater - $20

LR/LS - $100

lights - $50

timer - $20

Acrylic/Eggcrate/epoxy/silicon - $30

Clown pair - $65

Cleaner Shrimp/CUC - $50

first coral frags - $30

All maint. supplies/salt/test kits etc I already had because of my FOWLR

So...that's $500 pretty much, I didn't list absolutely everything (fuge lights, aquarium stand, magfloat, I just keep remembering stuff).

I know I've spent well over $3000 (probably pushing 4 or 5k) on all of the tanks listed in my sig, and I'm setting up a new planted FW tank this weekend!

My name is Chris, and I am an addict.

best tip: find your local reef club. if you don't have one, start one. I got LR, sand, and 80% of my frags for my nano this way and saved a TON of money. there's no way to do this hobby cheap, but if you network, have some limited DIY skills and ingenuity you can wind up spending A LOT less than most people in this thread.

Yes, very good advice! Even if it's not a club, just find a friend. Travisurfer and I met through our local surfing forum and have helped eachother a few times already. It's also nice to have someone to trade/split stuff with locally. DIY on everything that you can.

wow, i've not really thought about the total cost when i've spent say $20 here and $25 there.. i think a rough estimate is that i'm about $400 into it and looking to spend probably another $300 on lighting upgrades, skimmer, and more corals.. :)

I have two tanks now.

A 24 pod and a 29g.

My 24 is probably around $1200 as well.

The 29 was second and has been cheaper per gallon as I now know lots more, like where to buy good/cheap LR, etc.

Also I now know what sucks and what not to buy.

Plus all my test kits now do double duty, my zoas and shrooms are breeding enough to swap over and I know what powerheads suck which ones will keep on pumping.

• 9 years later...

I just started a IM 10 gallon fusion. I am at 380, and don't have any living organisms in it yet :wacko:. I gave myself a budget of 500 for this tank and thats about where I will be (a little over for those nice corals :P ).

Reef Hollister

just woundering what you guys think the average cost is to set up a 10-15 gallon nano aquarium, with everything done right.

"Done right" is too relative of a term. What do you want to keep in it? That will make a big difference in the lights. 10-15 gallons for soft corals....>$500 if you get help from here (through advice) and don't listen to a salesperson at Petco.

"Done right" is too relative of a term. What do you want to keep in it? That will make a big difference in the lights. 10-15 gallons for soft corals....>$500 if you get help from here (through advice) and don't listen to a salesperson at Petco.

This thread is from 2006 ;)

Reef Hollister

This thread is from 2006 ;)

I didn't look at that. Someone brought it back up today and it shows up as a recent thread on my screen. I wonder how he came out 10 years ago since we are on it?

I didn't look at that. Someone brought it back up today and it shows up as a recent thread on my screen. I wonder how he came out 10 years ago since we are on it?

Time to do an inflation experiment.

Looks like we won't be hearing from OP, though. Profile says he hasn't been active since 2009.

I don't wanna know what my tanks cost me :lol:

Well, the 12 gallon macro tank is the least expensive with coral compulsion macro bulbs, a heater, a hydor Koralia, ATO, a AIO kit, one fish, a few inverts and some macros. That one I wouldn't mind tallying. The others - no way. I might fall over.

squamptonbc

Holy old thread, but since it's here I'll add a rough estimate.

Tank & stand (M40) was 200 or 250 new from a going out of business sale.

Replaced stock light with AI Prime which ran me 227 dollars on amazon ca

Replaced stock skimmer with a used but excellent condition Aqua C remora, which is no longer sold locally new, 120 or about 1/2 the cost of buying a new one from the US after exchange rate and shipping.

Dry rock ran about 20 dollars, live rock from another reefer $20

pair of clown and some mushroom corals from another reefer $60

Some sort of soft coral, name is escaping me at the moment $20

Mushroom coral on a rock, green fuzzy $15

CUC $15

Test kits probably about $100

2 bags of salt far $40

Bag of sand $30

All prices in Canadian dollars, reduce prices about 25-30% for US$ pricing.

Elizabeth94

Reef tanks will be as expensive as you will let them be. I am scared to say I have over a grand invested for my new build, but about $500 of that was for an ATI unit.

I have a bad habit of falling in love with expensive equipment. Ugh.

fishfreak0114

I've never actually worked it out because I think I'd faint, but I'm guessing I've spent over $2000 at this point!

Archived