inTank Media Baskets

Junkitu's Mushroom House Tank Thread

junkitu

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a Hammer would look good :D

The very first coral that I bought was a hammer but it didn't do well in such close contact with the mushrooms and eventually receded and died :tears: I love hammers but my aquascaping is so packed that I'm afraid that I don't have space without risking someone getting stung. In fact, I've had to take out pieces like my neon GSP (see thread above).

Unfortunately, I think I've hit my limit on coral...but there's probably always room for a small zoo frag or two :P .

:blush:

...and your tank will be the inspiration for others, I'm sure.

:D

Mount it to the glass!

Great idea! The GSP is rehab-ing in a friend's tank. I've heard about people that have got their GSP to grow on glass. Maybe I'll take a frag from my original colony and glue it to the back wall.

drowsyfirefly
Great idea! The GSP is rehab-ing in a friend's tank. I've heard about people that have got their GSP to grow on glass. Maybe I'll take a frag from my original colony and glue it to the back wall.

That would be so awesome.

After looking at your tank I really feel like my tank is hideous. *hides tank behind curtain* Geez.

I love your LR and your 'shrooms and just about everything else you have in there. It all looks wonderful! Your leather I think has convinced me to get one. They were on my stocking list because they look cool and yours looks freaking fantastic! What can you say about the Devil's Hand? Is it pretty easy to care for?

Keep up the amazing work!

--Meghan

P.S. I live in Chicago but my dad went to UCSF Med School so we go back to visit his old haunting grounds a lot--I have to say it's one of my favorite cities.

I love your LR and your 'shrooms and just about everything else you have in there. It all looks wonderful!

Thanks for checking out my thread and the kind words! I was really lucky to get the LR from my buddy with all of the green mushrooms. It made it easier for me to add some really nice pieces to complement them while still keeping the look of a well established tank.

Your leather I think has convinced me to get one. They were on my stocking list because they look cool and yours looks freaking fantastic! What can you say about the Devil's Hand? Is it pretty easy to care for?

I think Leathers are awesome looking too and they are super easy to care for. They're filter feeders and seem to thrive without any specific target feeding. The Devil's Hand is no exception.

I currently have 3 leathers in my tank (yellow fiji, devil's hand, thin finger). I'd love to add more like a neon green polyped toadstool or spaghetti but I've heard that too many leathers in a tank can cause problems with chemical warfare. The 3 that I have seem to be doing fine together. What else do you have or are you planning to have in your tank?

drowsyfirefly
Thanks for checking out my thread and the kind words! I was really lucky to get the LR from my buddy with all of the green mushrooms. It made it easier for me to add some really nice pieces to complement them while still keeping the look of a well established tank.

I think Leathers are awesome looking too and they are super easy to care for. They're filter feeders and seem to thrive without any specific target feeding. The Devil's Hand is no exception.

I currently have 3 leathers in my tank (yellow fiji, devil's hand, thin finger). I'd love to add more like a neon green polyped toadstool or spaghetti but I've heard that too many leathers in a tank can cause problems with chemical warfare. The 3 that I have seem to be doing fine together. What else do you have or are you planning to have in your tank?

For coral, I was looking at leathers, 'shrooms and some zoos (your tank, basically :D). Thinking of a xenia, but I'm not sure. I also want to be able to keep macros in the display because I love them. I would like to get a sponge or two as well. For stocking, it will be feather dusters, 2 clowns (not sure), a skunk or peppermint cleaning shrimp, flame scallops and clean up crew. Not sure how heavy this will end up making the bioload, but most of these are filter feeders and there are macros that I want to thrive in there. I only have a 14g so I need to think about space and where they will grow. So I'll probably either choose one coral to focus on and put it in there and let it grow or get very small frags to begin with.

I'm also worried about them stinging each other--I need to do more research (isn't that always the story with this hobby?) so tomorrow I will head over to the library and check out a few books.

Your tank is gorgeous though--I really love the rock work you've done and the corals look stupendous!

Thanks again :blush: Your tank plans sound awesome. I don't have experience with macros or flame scallops but hear the latter may be hard to keep,

I'm also worried about them stinging each other--I need to do more research (isn't that always the story with this hobby?) so tomorrow I will head over to the library and check out a few books.

For what it's worth, the leathers don't seem to be bothered by contact with the mushrrooms. Even the xenias seem to tolerate contact with them pretty well. LPS like my candy canes are a different story.

Sea_Of_Treachery

wow your tank is amazing, i love yellow fiji's, how much has yours grown? mine really hasn't showed any growth and ive had it for 4 months or so. has the flame been nipping at all?

wow your tank is amazing, i love yellow fiji's, how much has yours grown? mine really hasn't showed any growth and ive had it for 4 months or so. has the flame been nipping at all?

Thanks Clarkii3!

It's hard to say if the yellow fiji is growing or just happier as my tank matures. It looks like it's ~15% bigger than it was when I got it.

The flame has been an angel so far :P

nyuck, nyuck, nyuck!

i still love this tank.

looks great man, looks great.

Thanks. I couldn't resist the opportunity to be corny :D . I really struggled with the decision to add the flame and so far I'm glad I did. It seems to be settling in nicely and is eating well.

Flame Angels are great looking fish and I'm considering one for my 33 long i'm setting up here in the next month or so. We'll see about it though.

Flame Angels are great looking fish and I'm considering one for my 33 long i'm setting up here in the next month or so. We'll see about it though.

I'll definitely keep folks posted.

I couldn't resist going shopping last week and I picked up some new coral additions from a LFS: www.atlantisaquarium.net. They're nearby so I was able to pick out what I wanted myself. I'll take some pics and post them next week.

drowsyfirefly
Thanks again :blush: Your tank plans sound awesome. I don't have experience with macros or flame scallops but hear the latter may be hard to keep,

For what it's worth, the leathers don't seem to be bothered by contact with the mushrrooms. Even the xenias seem to tolerate contact with them pretty well. LPS like my candy canes are a different story.

I have high hopes it seems about the flame scallops. A shame, because I think they look awesome. Sigh, maybe later when the water box is more established.

Thanks for the compliments on my plans! I'm doing this partially as a project for a marine bio class, so I am getting down into the nitty gritty serious outline of the stocking: why, how, when.

They sell flame scallops at my LFS though so that's why I'm interested--because I can actually get one. I may just go with a leather and xenia and shrooms, your tank has kind of inspired me. It's hard to keep thinking about growing space though and I feel like my tank is ridiculously small already! *evil grin* Time to finagle an upgrade!!

The other thing I'm most interested in keeping are sponges and feather dusters, so I may skip the corals all together and just have a sponge/feather duster garden. Does it still count as a Nano? Maybe just a non-coral invertebrate only tank--N.C.I.V.O.T.?

Keep up the good work and keep taking pictures! This tank really does look stunning. :D

--Meghan

The other thing I'm most interested in keeping are sponges and feather dusters, so I may skip the corals all together and just have a sponge/feather duster garden. Does it still count as a Nano? Maybe just a non-coral invertebrate only tank--N.C.I.V.O.T.?

I think feather dusters and other marine worms are beautiful but I also hear that they're hard to keep alive for long periods of time. Let me know how it goes and maybe I'll add one to my tank down the road.

Keep up the good work and keep taking pictures! This tank really does look stunning. :D

Will do. I'm afraid I'm running out of real estate in my tank. I'll take some pics this week and post them.

Mushroomhouse in the house! What!!!!!!!!! Looking great. Im keeping my eye's peeled for a nice yellow leather like yours.

Thanks! I found my yellow fiji at www.atlantisaquarium.net. They don't have any now but you could call to see if they can get one for you.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll definitely keep folks posted.

I couldn't resist going shopping last week and I picked up some new coral additions from a LFS: www.atlantisaquarium.net. They're nearby so I was able to pick out what I wanted myself. I'll take some pics and post them next week.

I finally found some time to take some pics of the new additions. Enjoy!

I picked up some killer blue rhodactis shrooms.

BlueRhodactis.jpg

I also couldn't help adding some zoos to my garden. Here are some cool little pink ones.

PinkZoos.jpg

The biggest new addition is this red/green brain. I've always wanted one of these :D

RedGreenBrain.jpg

I really like the variety of colors in my garden.

ZoosandBrain.jpg

Here's a shot of the garden under actinics.

ActinicZooGarden.jpg

I think the new additions have really spiced up the right side of my tank and complement the existing colors really well.

BottomShelf.jpg

That's it for now. I should have a new FTS in a couple weeks.

i really like the color variety in your garden too :lol: the brain looks awesome. im thinking about getting of those pretty soon!

Thanks guy! Here's another pic of the new brain. I've only had it a couple weeks but it's quickly becominig one of my favorites.

BrainandShrimp.jpg

Wow, wow, wow..... You know I love this tank!!!!

Thanks doc! Glad you like it.

are you adding any suppliment to the tank? or feeding it anything special?

Here's my routine:

Kent Marine 2 part nano supplement once a week.

Weekly 20% water change.

Feed cyclopeez and frozen formula 1&2 once a week.

Spectrum Thera + soaked in Kent Marine Zoe 3 days a week.

I don't feed on the weekends.

Archived