Junkitu's Mushroom House Tank Thread

junkitu

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
Carlton'sTank

I think the blue anthelia you are referring to is actually blue clove polyps. They can be invasive, but they are great at covering rocks. I just added some into the depths of a large rock I have in my system, looking forward to watch them fill in.

Tank looks amazing by the way.

Thanks for the new comments. Unfortunately, soon after my last post this tank crashed while I was away from my office on a business trip. I'm not sure what caused it but more than likely it was the orange tip anem that I added. Thanks to some co-workers the tank was saved but I lost all of my livestock and some of my coral.

Here are some pics:

Here is what the tank looked like when my co-workers found it. The milky color is a sure sign that something has died and started to pollute the rest of the tank,

IMG00014-20090504-0928.jpg

When the water cleared my 3 year old black and white clown and linkia star fish were the first victims to be found.

IMG00013-20090504-0927.jpg

My 3 year old Ponape Maxima hung on for a couple days but eventually died as well.

IMG00018-20090505-1050.jpg

I lost all of my livestock including:

Orange linkia starfish

Royal urchin

2 BTAs

Occelaris clownfish

Yasha goby

Fireshrimp

Ponape maxima clam

Some of the coral melted away and the rest looked extremely PO'd.

IMG00019-20090505-1050.jpg

IMG00016-20090505-1049.jpg

IMG00020-20090505-1050.jpg

Initially, there was a huge outbreak of hair algae after the tank stabilized. A sea hare made quick work of the algae and thankfully it never came back. Fortunately, Mushroom House was mostly a softie and LPS tank and many of these coral proved to be very hardy. It's been 2 months since the crash and the tank is stable again and back up and running. I've recently restocked.

As much as I loved my BTAs I decided to go with a yellow tipped torch coral from Aquatic Collection instead since they can't walk into a powerhead and possibly trigger another crash.

MontiHouseJune2009030.jpg

I picked up a pair of juvi ocellaris clowns from Ultimate Aquarium in San Mateo and they've begun to take to the torch.

MontiHouseJune2009039-1.jpg

I also picked up some pumpkin colored mushies and a beautiful echinata colony from Karson and Joe at Aquatic Collection.

MontiHouseJune2009054.jpg

MontiHouseJune2009046.jpg

As you can see the candycanes came back...

MontiHouseJune2009043-1.jpg

...and so did the devil's hand leather. You can see it behind my new acan echinata colony.

JulyMushroomHousePics009.jpg

Red and blue rhodactis shrooms that I picked up from Ultimate Aquarium

JulyMushroomHousePics007.jpg

Zoa garden

JulyMushroomHousePics016.jpg

Another shot of the clowns' new home

JulyMushroomHousePics008.jpg

I brought my yellow and green derasa from my tank at home. I really like it's color contribution to the tank's color.

JulyMushroomHousePics015.jpg

FTS

MushroomHouseFTSJuly2009v2.jpg

Despite feeling so horribly when the tank crashed, it's great to have it back up and running. I've already added several small gobies including a yasha, trimma, neon, and a mexican redhead.

:( Wow, I'm sorry your tank crashed. Even after the losses, it still looks great! I look forward to seeing all the gobies.
Carlton'sTank

Sorry for the crash, but it looks like the livestock that made it through is healthy and thriving. Your zoa garden is spectacular.

• 5 months later...

It's been awhile. Here are some new pics!

Pom Pom Crab

IMG_6424.jpg

Gobies

IMG_6433.jpg

IMG_6435.jpg

IMG_6473.jpg

IMG_6494.jpg

Yellow Tipped Torch

IMG_6452.jpg

Zoa Garden with Redheaded Goby

IMG_6485.jpg

Acan Echinata

IMG_6467.jpg

Purple Rim and Polyped Cap

IMG_6465.jpg

IMG_6476.jpg

Top Shelf

IMG_6481.jpg

IMG_6503.jpg

FTS

IMG_6462.jpg

IMG_6458.jpg

Thanks for the new comments. Unfortunately, soon after my last post this tank crashed while I was away from my office on a business trip. I'm not sure what caused it but more than likely it was the orange tip anem that I added. Thanks to some co-workers the tank was saved but I lost all of my livestock and some of my coral.

Here are some pics:

Here is what the tank looked like when my co-workers found it. The milky color is a sure sign that something has died and started to pollute the rest of the tank,

IMG00014-20090504-0928.jpg

When the water cleared my 3 year old black and white clown and linkia star fish were the first victims to be found.

IMG00013-20090504-0927.jpg

My 3 year old Ponape Maxima hung on for a couple days but eventually died as well.

IMG00018-20090505-1050.jpg

I lost all of my livestock including:

Orange linkia starfish

Royal urchin

2 BTAs

Occelaris clownfish

Yasha goby

Fireshrimp

Ponape maxima clam

Some of the coral melted away and the rest looked extremely PO'd.

IMG00019-20090505-1050.jpg

IMG00016-20090505-1049.jpg

IMG00020-20090505-1050.jpg

Initially, there was a huge outbreak of hair algae after the tank stabilized. A sea hare made quick work of the algae and thankfully it never came back. Fortunately, Mushroom House was mostly a softie and LPS tank and many of these coral proved to be very hardy. It's been 2 months since the crash and the tank is stable again and back up and running. I've recently restocked.

As much as I loved my BTAs I decided to go with a yellow tipped torch coral from Aquatic Collection instead since they can't walk into a powerhead and possibly trigger another crash.

MontiHouseJune2009030.jpg

I picked up a pair of juvi ocellaris clowns from Ultimate Aquarium in San Mateo and they've begun to take to the torch.

MontiHouseJune2009039-1.jpg

I also picked up some pumpkin colored mushies and a beautiful echinata colony from Karson and Joe at Aquatic Collection.

MontiHouseJune2009054.jpg

MontiHouseJune2009046.jpg

As you can see the candycanes came back...

MontiHouseJune2009043-1.jpg

...and so did the devil's hand leather. You can see it behind my new acan echinata colony.

JulyMushroomHousePics009.jpg

Red and blue rhodactis shrooms that I picked up from Ultimate Aquarium

JulyMushroomHousePics007.jpg

Zoa garden

JulyMushroomHousePics016.jpg

Another shot of the clowns' new home

JulyMushroomHousePics008.jpg

I brought my yellow and green derasa from my tank at home. I really like it's color contribution to the tank's color.

JulyMushroomHousePics015.jpg

FTS

MushroomHouseFTSJuly2009v2.jpg

Despite feeling so horribly when the tank crashed, it's great to have it back up and running. I've already added several small gobies including a yasha, trimma, neon, and a mexican redhead.

Beautiful Tank! What type of zoas are those above to theright of the radioactive dragon eyes? I just pick some up and cant figure them out?? thanks

Beautiful Tank! What type of zoas are those above to theright of the radioactive dragon eyes? I just pick some up and cant figure them out?? thanks

Thanks. I've been calling them Devil's Armor based on ZoaID.com

It lives!!

Beautiful as always.

That Acan really changed colors.

Do you ever have problems with the Torch stinging anything?

I would worry about that myself, they can pack quite a wallop.

Tank is still a stunner, Thanks for the update!

Thanks! It's good to be back posting on N-R.

It lives!!

Beautiful as always.

That Acan really changed colors.

Do you ever have problems with the Torch stinging anything?

I would worry about that myself, they can pack quite a wallop.

Yeah, when I bought the acan colony it had hints of blue and in 6 months the blue has really taken over. As for the torch, it's surrounded by softies that can handle the sting. Interestingly enough the acan and the orange digi are having turf wars but they're working it out.

Your Zoa garden is beautiful!

That is probably my favorite part of the tank but the zoas are running out of room. :)

beautiful! but not so much mushroom house anymore...

Agreed. After 4 years it's turned into more of a softie house or maybe goby house.

Thanks for following along and commenting.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived