Cultivated Reef

new 40 Breeder Tank Build

ezramore

thanks again even your plumbing diagram will be a huge help to me! forgive my ignorance tho, what is a scwd?

and a general question to anyone with this sort of setup: i know water flow is very important in a reef tank. if you have this sort of set up do you have additional powerheads to move more water around or is the return from your sump enough?

thanks!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks again even your plumbing diagram will be a huge help to me! forgive my ignorance tho, what is a scwd?

and a general question to anyone with this sort of setup: i know water flow is very important in a reef tank. if you have this sort of set up do you have additional powerheads to move more water around or is the return from your sump enough?

thanks!

this is a SCWD-------->post-13091-1161181649_thumb.jpg

here is a link that talks about it http://www.fishstuff.net/currentswitchingc...irectorscwd.php

The rest of your question depends on what type of corals, and how big of a return pump you have IMO. For me i will not be adding an additional power head at first but may add a closed loop system later as noobwithatank has shown in his drawing if i do not get the results i am looking for. My intention is to have a large enough return to eliminate the need for additional pumps. and use the SCWD to get the flow diversity i am looking for. If you look at the returns on page 1 you will notice I have dual returns on each side of the tank. 1 will cover the front and one will cover the back on each side. If it works like i think it will i should get a full tank wave effect. I plan to use a closed loop as a backup plan.

Thanks noobwithatank for your drawing. It helps to see other peoples ideas.

the scwd, needs to be cleaned roughly every 6 months.. so u will want to put some ballvalves in there so u can take it all apart without draining ur tank.

Thanks for the reply. I have 3 ball valves in that diagram, one on each leg. Do you think this will be enough or should i add another closer to the SCWD

You don't want too much flow going through your sump/fuge. That is the reason people use a closed loop as well. The water coming from the sump really shouldn't be the main source of circulation.

At operation the water level in the sump is 33 Gallons and at the moment without the SCWD my 900 GPH pump with a 1 foot head runs a little strong inside the tank. I have not run it with the SCWD and and 4 foot head. As i said i have closed loop as a backup plan if i do not get the desired results. For final testing before anything live goes into the tank I plan to use a silk plant leaf attached to a rock to test how the flow works out. If it does not give the desired results I will then use my back up pump and build a closed loop. I currently am using my sump pump for flow on my 12 with a mag 5 with a 3 foot head and it has worked great for the last year. The maximum water capacity of the Sump for my 40B is 52 gallons. my water bucket i used for the leak test is graduated and was used as a measuring tool, so I am quite oversized as far as sump fuges go which i think should make up for the larger pump. Still lots of experimenting to go. My reasoning for attempting to eliminate the Closed loop is to reduce the amount of tubing going in and out of my display area. This tank will be in a main viewing area of my house and will be easily seen from 3 sides. I do not want to be staring at pipes every time i look at it.

Mag 7 4ft elevation 480 GPh. SCWD flow deduction 384 GPH 2 inlets per side including friction loss do to 90 degree bends and 3/4 pvc return aproximatley 192 GPH +/- total flow per side. by your recomendations for a 40 G i should be between 120 GPH and 200 GPH. Looks about ideal to me. Very good link by the way. Interesting read for those who have not read it.

That sounds about perfect. I hadn't done the calculations for you, but I figured I should give you the info. That's a GREAT resource for anyone looking to use a sump.

thanks for responding to my little post. hearing others ideas is the purpose of the thread. Hoping to get the canopy and plumbing done by the weekend so i can get everything stained and ready to bring inside the house. More to Come.....

if i myself dont go, with a closed look.. i will get the "natural" wave maker an 3 mj1200's on the timmer.

:)

do you have any information on these

Ezra... it looks like you're doing a good job.

I agree with the fact that you need to lessen the flow in the sump..

Also, I suggest you consider a better skimmer. I don't have much experience with that particular skimmer, but in general I've heard bad things about Odyssey. A good skimmer is a very good investment (not talking about $7000 Bubble King).

• 2 weeks later...

Finaly got back to the project. I ran short of supplies to finish the doors. but i did get to work on the canopy. Progress thus far.

post-13091-1162183089_thumb.jpgpost-13091-1162183425_thumb.jpg

The Canopy will have 2 front doors and the top will open to gain access to the lights. like so.

post-13091-1162183221_thumb.jpg

I vented the top and there is room for fans if needed, but it seems to be running pretty cool at the moment. It will get tested for heat fluctuations before anything live goes in and that will determine the fan requirements.

Here is a pic showing the vents.

post-13091-1162183387_thumb.jpg

and a couple more showing the inside of the canopy

post-13091-1162183452_thumb.jpgpost-13091-1162183549_thumb.jpg

I added some tempory plumbing and ran the Mag 7 Pump for a good while. After running it for a good part of the day i think that i may want to actually increase the amount of flow. The overflow works great and there is a nice smooth flow of water. I will definatley need a standpipe before i am done. I plan to be ready for disassembly in the next day or so so that i can get everything stained and sealed. Once i get that part done it will be ready to come in the house after my upcoming business trip. I will post some more pics after i get everything stained. Happy Halloween everyone.

finaly managed to get the doors on the canopy and stand. I also finished mocking up the plumbing and testing. I will definatley need to upgrade the pump. I will be adding a Mag 12 for the return pump with a bypass valve so i can reduce the flow if i need to later on.

Here is the finished cabinet and canopy. post-13091-1162614881_thumb.jpg

I completley disasembled everything and stained and sealed today. 2 coats of golden almond stain, and 3 coats of clear sealer inside and out.

post-13091-1162615049_thumb.jpg

Closer view of the stand and canopy

post-13091-1162615208_thumb.jpgpost-13091-1162615247_thumb.jpg

The whole thing is srying tonight and will be reasembled Saturday morning. Looking forward to getting water in it. I plan to start picking up the Rock next weekend when i get back from this weeks business trip. Will be in DC for the week.

nice work!

did you think about drilling the tank instead of using the overflow box?

Thanks for the compliments. I seriousley thought about drilling but cant afford to replace the tank if i crack it, and do not have any experience doing so.

• 3 weeks later...

been out of town for awile. I got the tank in the house and set up in its new home.

post-13091-1164432760_thumb.jpgpost-13091-1164432792_thumb.jpgpost-13091-1164432827_thumb.jpg

Added cured live tonga and allowed to cycle

post-13091-1164432897_thumb.jpgpost-13091-1164432978_thumb.jpg

After cycle I added the rock from my 12G

post-13091-1164433092_thumb.jpgpost-13091-1164433135_thumb.jpgpost-13091-1164433179_thumb.jpgpost-13091-1164433207_thumb.jpgpost-13091-1164433234_thumb.jpg

Lots more work to do but we are off to a start. More to come soon

Just picked up a green hammer, kenya tree, and plate coral

does anyone have any experience with the long tenticaled plate coral. It has puffed up extended its tenticles, and let loose a bunch of mucas. Looks better today but i want to make sure it will be ok in the long term.

From what I have heard the long tentacle plate corals do not do well in captivity, so I have not ever tried one. I have short tentacle plate that slimes a little every now and then, but it has never been anything to worry about.

Archived