Innovative Marine Aquariums

Yankee Tank II

yankeereefer

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yankeereefer
Make sure the hermits arent too big since they can do some damage.

the electric blue and red leg are a little bigger than the rest, but still very small - I think there are 6 total hermits in the tank - Light snacking I would think!

I've got a few blues I want to feed to someone -- I think I overdid it in my first tank -- I think for my 5.5 I'm going with only like 1 or 2 blue's tops and the rest snails.

montevallofalcon11
I have my nanoreef coffee mug at work - my former gf thought my 'collecting' aquariums was a sickness - now I'm searching for a hot reef chick!

This is why I love my fiancee, among other traits. She already wants to upgrade our 7 gallon Mini-Bow. Reef bug bit her big time!

travisurfer
This is why I love my fiancee, among other traits. She already wants to upgrade our 7 gallon Mini-Bow. Reef bug bit her big time!

lucky :rant:

yankeereefer

ok - here's the updated pix:

FTS

DSC01412.jpg

Aquascape

DSC01417.jpg

side view overflow area

DSC01434.jpg

rear view overflow area

DSC01440.jpg

I think the chaeto will be moving into the display and search will begin for a different pump thats smaller so I have more room for rubble. I removed the filter pad for now, the chaeto breaks up the splash enough to be quiet

Tomorrow's the big day!!! I feel like an expectant father (again)!!

yankeereefer
I spy a lil cave already for its new Mantis shrimp!

That's what I was shooting for -

Trav - I think I've seen these at the LFS - I'll have to check flow rates a bit closer - Other than a smaller profile, do you think I'd see better or alt least comparable performance (flow)? I started with the powerhead cuz it was an extra piee of equip laying around. It actually does pretty good, I just don't like the size of it.

I placed the LR towards the back corner (still able to get around for cleaning) so th the mantis (still unnamed) will have enough of a battleground -

as for acclimation, what method did you use, Trav? I normally float bag for 10 or so mins and drip for an hour or so - Mantis' being pretty hardy, I was gonna skip the float on go right for the drip in a bucket where photo ops will ensue!

EL CHUPACABRA

Patience grasshopper, its best to float the bag, you know this though or you wouldn't ask, as little stress as possible is always best.

yankeereefer
Patience grasshopper, its best to float the bag, you know this though or you wouldn't ask, as little stress as possible is always best.

You're right - Everyone, please forgive my momentary lapse of sanity - Little too anxious i guess - Thanks

yankeereefer

OK - this is the moment we've all been waiting for! Quick search of other postings in the thread doesn't show many are on right now so many of you won't see this till the morning

Acclimated 15 mins with the bag in tank and then transferred to a bowl for drip acclimation for about 45mins. He (I say he, but who knows at this point) was very active during acclimation and has made a few tenative appearances since being transferred into the tank. So without further adieu, Here he is!

DSC01454.jpg

DSC01448.jpg

Looking at Dr. Roy's website, I couldn't really tell what species he is - Maybe someone here can help. I have also posted over at RC hoping that Doc himself might be able to help.

Enjoy! As it's late everywhere I probably won't get any response till tomorrow - You can bet there'll be more to post when I get home from work -

Bye for now!

Yankee

EL CHUPACABRA
Quick search of other postings in the thread doesn't show many are on right now so many of you won't see this till the morning

He (I say he, but who knows at this point) was very active during acclimation and has made a few tenative appearances since being transferred into the tank. So without further adieu, Here he is!

Enjoy! As it's late everywhere I probably won't get any response till tomorrow - You can bet there'll be more to post when I get home from work -

Bye for now!

Yankee

Yankee I just got home from the library, and somehow after 12.5 hours of studying I still want to learn about nanos. Sleep is for the unproductive. Today is the last day of summer school. :D

I am not sure how to tell sex on a mantis, but I know boys have a penis, and girls have a ###### in general, although nowadays gender is such a grey area, who knows perhaps it could be both. I think you really need to ask the shrimp what sex it feels like it is, so you don't try to raise it to be something that it is not. :lol:

It looks great, I am really excited for you. Do you know if it punches or slashes? Remember when I got to feed that hitchhiker crab to the mantis at the LFS? It was so cool, I hear the punching ones swing faster than a .45cal bullet. If it ever sases you, fight fire with fire and flick it in the face.

Sorry I can't help with the ID, normally I would but I am pulling my last all nighter to study for the final, and need to stay on task. I am so happy I checked tough, it was by far the highlight of my day when I saw your mantis appear on my screen. I am leaving Thur for DC with a plane switch in Chicago, when I get home my light should have arrived and the studio will be temporarily closed, giving me ample time to setup my new tank. I am going into stealth secret production mode now, but have no fear, I will return to the boards with something amazing, I have a secret up my sleeve, its going to change the way tanks look forever. Watch your goats EL CHUPACABRA is hungry!!!!

I know boys have a penis, and girls have a ###### in general

Oh that is what I am talking about, so sexist, I am deeply offended, the boards protect female words from being displayed, but not male words. When are mantis shrimp going to have equal rights on nano reef? :P j/k (I am done now) EL CHUPACABRA signing out...

travisurfer

There are differences between males and females. Since its so small I'm guessing its a smasher. Temp and drip acclimation is best. Sorry I couldnt get to this earlier, for some reason the thread didnt show up yesterday. The pump should be able to hold more head pressure(just guessing), just get a similar gph rating. Hope that helps. Your little guy is awesome. Once he starts settling in you will hear clicking noises as he makes his caves and tunnels(since its most likely a smasher). Try keeping very small cerith snails in the display since he is so small. I have found those to be easier food. :P

Check my tank thread, I should be getting pics loaded today.

yankeereefer

EL CHUPACABRA - Glad I could brighten your day / night! I bet you're glad to be done with school for the summer - Time for what is I'm sure to be a well deserved break - I bid you safe travels and look forward as always to your updated thread

Travis - It is what I believe to be a smasher - I didn't post that last night as it was late and in a hurry to get something posted in case anyone was waiting. No info yet on RC concerning ID - He's (there goes my chauvinistic side again) pretty cool so far although as fate would have it, when released into the tank, he went right into the middle of my LR pile instead of the nice little cave spot (in the front of the display) that I had prepared. I'm sure that he'll come across it as he continues to explore his new habitat.

This morning I noticed that he has used sand and closed a little hole in the rock that I could kinda see movement through last night. I also see a small pile of LS at the rear of the rock pile where he has begun excavating another tunnel.

So far, I haven't begun to hear any of the telltale mantis clicks yet and near as I can tell, all of the hermits I put in are still accounted for.

I may not post again until tomorrow (or late tonight) as I'm heading out tonight to the Sox and Yankee ball game - My G/F says that the mantis needs to stay home though.

As for names, I was considering sticking with something representing my Southern ties - General Lee, Colonel Reb (or just "the Colonel" for short) are a couple names I chimed in. In the event that he is a she, we'll be proud to call her Dixie - "Scampi" was also thrown in the hat, but quickly dispatched as it was felt to be in poor taste

More later

YR

yankeereefer

On a side note - Last night when we were picking up the mantis my GF witnessed a pretty nasty event. The LFS had a AP on the counter with a couple of sea slugs (purple or black w/white spots) in it. She was waiting at the counter while I was talking to the guy who runs the shop (I may have a line on some sargassum (sp?) for the 10g) when I hear her shriek! We went over to the counter to find out one of the slugs while making a poop, decided to crap out his internal organs :blink: - Pretty sick and I guess (according to LFS guy) it's pretty poisonous to water quality - Note to self, NO SEA SLUGS

EL CHUPACABRA

Can you feed it guppies that have been acclimated to salt water? That would be super cheap food that breeds. The guppies are supposed to be much better looking in salt water too and once acclimated will do fine.

yankeereefer
Can you feed it guppies that have been acclimated to salt water? That would be super cheap food that breeds. The guppies are supposed to be much better looking in salt water too and once acclimated will do fine.

It might work (if they survived acclimation) although I wonder about the nutritional content of a guppy - Maybe as a pretty periodic snack....

I was perusing RC a minute ago - Someone identified a mantis that looks similar to mine (in an older thread) as possibly Neogonodactylus wennerae - This kinda fits as the LFS guy said in came in on LR as HH from FL, he's red in color and closed up his burrow overnight- This should be interesting as it also says he'll turn green possibly after a couple molts under tank lighting

EL CHUPACABRA

Sounds cool, I will check back later I'm off to the library.

Ok I delayed, check this out but now I am off.

and Dr. Roy Caldwell also notes that you can sex the flamboyant critter in the pic by noting the presence of the pair of gonopods (penises) that lie on the inside base of the last pair of walking legs. Link

Note he said plural, Im jealous

Ok now I really need to leave but this seems like a great site about mantis, you may already know about it. http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/index.htm

Oh and the flourescing mantis that glows in the dark!!!!!

yankeereefer
Cool mantis! Do you have a pic of the tank with the mantis?

texx

Not yet - He was hiding in his burrow this morning when I got up for work - I will likely not be until tomorrow before I get any decent shots (depending on the mantis) - I'm going to the Sox/Yankee game tonight and won't be home until late.

yankeereefer
I was perusing RC a minute ago - Someone identified a mantis that looks similar to mine (in an older thread) as possibly Neogonodactylus wennerae -

Dr Roy has confirmed, it's Neogonodactylus wennerae!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for you Argent!

We're gonna have to convince the mods to open our own subforum -

Power to the Stomapods!!

Avatar title updated as promised!

Archived