inTank Media Baskets

Sump size for 60 gallon?

Kahuna

I know this is a newbie question...

What size sump is ideal for a 60 gallon. I know... the bigger the better, but what's the minimum size sump/refugium I can use?

-Kahuna

what are the dim. of the tank? if it's 48" long you could use a 33g and have a lot of room for pumps, skimmer and a refugium.....but i wouldn't use less then a 20 gallon for that size, it really depends on your application and what you want to do with it.

yeah, it really depends on the dims of the tank. if it is a cube, i'd suggest looking into a custom cube sump that will make the best use of the space under your stand. otherwise, you should be able to find an AGA that will suit your needs.

Dims are 48lx15wx18h.

Any recommendations on any refugium systems suitable for this? I know TruVu and Oceanic make reef-ready refugium sumps - are these good? I'm trying to stay away from DIY sumps. I'm not too handy nor savvy with DIY work. Is there a custom sump maker that you know of?

Last question: Would it be better or cheaper to puchase a refugium sump from a custom maker or one from a known name such as TruVu or Oceanic? And "yes" money is an issue for me. I got mortage!

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Kahuna

Last question: Would it be better or cheaper to puchase a refugium sump from a custom maker or one from a known name such as TruVu or Oceanic? And "yes" money is an issue for me. I got mortage!

Socal creations does excellent work @ reasonable prices. They built a great sump for me, and i love it.

As far as pump size is concerned, i have a 60G/30Gsump, and i went with an iwaki40rlxt, and it is actually too much flow. I would reccomend a 30 or 20, or a panworld, which is really nice for the price. Now as far as flow in your tank(powerheads/closed loop) it depends on what you are planning on keeping.

good luck, Mike :)

DKreefkeepers

Custom work will always be more expensive than say just going and buying a regular tank and converting it. Your big name brand places tend to be a bit more expensive on things like this. I am not sure what you need exactly but for a custom job you will probly be looking at around $200 and up depending on who builds it. But the good news is that it will be built to your exact needs and you will not have to "settle" for something that is not quite what you wanted.

• 7 years later...

I am having the same problem i was planning on using a 10 gallon tank i have laying around as a sump but want to know how i should go about putting it together the tank is a 60 gallon 36.5"x20.5"x21"

10 on 60 seems pointless and excessively expensive for value.

You might as well use hang on back equipment instead.

Archived