Top Shelf Aquatics

The DIY Frag plugs/disks/rocks thread.

Daemonfly

Unlooked at method. I am sure some of you have kids in high school or are kids in high school....Ever think about the pottery class ? Roll out a sheet of clay with and use a cookie cutter ? Most of the art teachers I know wouldnt mind letting someone stay after if they wanted to make a couple hundred of these and I am sure it would take less than an hour to do that. Put them on some cookie sheets or wax paper to let them air dry then have the teacher fire them for you.

I with my butt was still in HS, Id be making all kinds of formed insert peices for my tank :D You know, the bonsi style ones that a certain company charges $200 for.

i greatly prefer the ceramic plugs from aquafarms.. but this time around i found seller on ebay selling 100 aragonite plugs for only $20 shipped.

beats the price of the other plugs because of the free shipping. I still would rather have the ceramic ones though. I like to initial on the Stem and write the coral name along the rim of the plug. saves me from having to field questions all night after frag swaps or getting calls from LFS wondering what some of the frags were that i sold them.

anyone have any links to some at home ceramic stuff that you can cure in the oven or something?

i accidentally made one once using a hole saw on some lr. even easier though was to just ask my lfs for a hand full of rubble, gave it to me for free. he has a bucket of flat pieces he glues his frags to.

Edited by Grumblecakes
  • 2 months later...

i have this ? on another thread but thought i would ask this group the pros and cons of using shells as frag bases ..

Unlooked at method. I am sure some of you have kids in high school or are kids in high school....Ever think about the pottery class ? Roll out a sheet of clay with and use a cookie cutter ? Most of the art teachers I know wouldnt mind letting someone stay after if they wanted to make a couple hundred of these and I am sure it would take less than an hour to do that. Put them on some cookie sheets or wax paper to let them air dry then have the teacher fire them for you.

I with my butt was still in HS, Id be making all kinds of formed insert peices for my tank :D You know, the bonsi style ones that a certain company charges $200 for.

arent there a lot of metals (iron) in clays?

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...