Innovative Marine Aquariums

How-to: Make your own 70w MH Pendant

Mirepa

Recall how much they cost?

Pretty sure they were $18.95 as Esper noted.

And yes, I at least will change out that frosted diffuser.

What would you use to replace it, any specific glass?

I think it'd make an attractive pendant on its own, no real need to bury it in a canopy.

I read some discussion about heat building up in these "security" fixtures and adversely effecting the color temp. What can be done about the internal heat?

Anybody have a source for the Astralux 6700k/70w bulb?

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plain plate glass works as a UV shield, but if you want to get fancier, there is a type used for energy efficient windows called "Low-E" glass that will work also, I haven't found the need for it on my 250W HQI fixtures.

I'd have to look at the fixture but others have simply drilled holes in the back of the fixture to vent hot air. Remember though that metal halide bulbs have to operate at a certain high temperature. I've never heard of color shifting in metal halide bulbs (not to say it can't happen) due to heat, unlike fluorescent bulbs, which definitely need a lower temperature.

Why would you want a 6700K bulb, unless it's for a freshwater planted tank? It'll be quite yellow. Astralux makes a 12000K bulb that is very popular, but after using it and other bulbs, I prefer a 20000K bulb for its looks, and the corals seem to like it well too.

Thanks for the info on the fixture. I sure wish I'd gone that route originally. It might eliminate the only complaint I had about this setup and make it the standard for 10 gallon sps tanks!

Plain plate glass works as a UV shield, but if you want to get fancier, there is a type used for energy efficient windows called "Low-E" glass that will work also, I haven't found the need for it on my 250W HQI fixtures.

I'd have to look at the fixture but others have simply drilled holes in the back of the fixture to vent hot air. Remember though that metal halide bulbs have to operate at a certain high temperature. I've never heard of color shifting in metal halide bulbs (not to say it can't happen) due to heat, unlike fluorescent bulbs, which definitely need a lower temperature.

Thanks for the info. This post is what got me thinking about the heat:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1122989

Why would you want a 6700K bulb, unless it's for a freshwater planted tank?

That was one app I had in mind... :)

Thanks for the info on the fixture. I sure wish I'd gone that route originally. It might eliminate the only complaint I had about this setup and make it the standard for 10 gallon sps tanks!

I'd be interested in your impressions should you get to inspect one. The reflector itself is not as elaborate as the Brinks appears or the Husky 500w worklight mentioned earlier which I compared side-by-side. It's only got a simple "V" above the bulb, nothing at the ends, I guess since it's so much shallower. I may pick one up later and try and post pics.

Checked out your threads. Great tanks, and I enjoy your writing.

Jack

the guy i bought my set up said he was sending me a spare ballast (for free!!) and a 20k bulb... i assume its got a little life left in it, at least enough to tell if i like the color or not, if not im going to get the astralux 14k which i have heard great things about... mine is going above a 2.8g custom made tank... which i will be moving my high end zoas and yumas too... it might be too much light but i got a great deal on the light 60 for everything including shipping

EDIT: wait regular glass works for the UV shield? is that like the glass from HD and lowes?

Yep, and easy to cut too, being so thin. Or just get the duffus from Lowe's or HD to cut if for you. (but of course measure first :P )

• 1 month later...

I've given up on anyone giving their opinion of these halgens as a better alternative to the ones we've been using. :D I purchased a Lithonia Wide Profile from HD (they didn't carry it at Lowe's), came in this box and looked just like the one above. Cost $18.00

Newlightbox.jpg

I measure it compared to the Craftsman 300W shop light I got from Sears and the bulb sits 2" from the top of the fixture, compared to 3" for the Craftsman. I think it could make at least a little difference in the spread of the light.

I took a picture using manual settings, f/2.8 @ 1/30 sec. to get a picture that would be somewhat comparable using the camera as a sort of light meter. As you can see, there is some serious shadowing in the corners, though it's not as drastic as the photo shows:

F2830thpost.jpg

I installed the new fixture this morning (required a different mount as the wide profiles are designed for outside lighting around the house, so they only have a threaded end. If anyone is curious as to how I mounted it to the canopy I'll post but it can be figured out easily, and done differently depending on your canopy.

Since Itook the above shot at night, I'll have to do the same for the new fixture, but I can tell you that within a few minutes of the light coming on that it lit up the corners a lot better. I'll get the shot tonight to compare.

I appreciate Esper pointing it out, sure wish I'd noticed his post when he first put it up!

Here's the tank with the new fixture. I may not have waited long enough for the bulb to warm up as it looks more blue than the first shot, but the settings on the camera are the same (The bulb is an Ushio 20000K)

F2830thNewFixture.jpg

• 3 months later...

In doing this DIY for my 10g custom AIO tank, I'm using this security light fixture. The stupid HD near me didn't have any good or cheap ones in stock! <_<

I'm currently having a custom stand made for my light to fit my 10g custom AIO tank to put it over. I'm al putting a switch inline with the power so I can manually switch it off without having to unplug it.

Just want to know if this fixture would work it has 2 fixtures for 25.00 at Home Depot. The fixture that is shown in the previous thread is not available anymore.

light70watt.jpg

Thumb screw for tool-free head adjustment

Hinges keep lens frame in place when re-lamping

Maximum extension from wall 8"

(2) 150 watt Quartz Halogen lamps included

MFG Model # : OFTM 300Q 120 LP WH M6

MFG Part # : 138H7R

What do you guys think? Advice needed

Thanks.... is the light pictured in the previous thread still available not sure how old this thread is from the looks it's been around for a while ?

Too small. The 150W bulb holders won't fit the 70W MH bulbs. You need to find something 300-500W.

Yeah, there's 2 different bulb suzes out there I've seen, 78mm and 118mm...

• 3 weeks later...

How would this compare to the light coming out of a 70w sunpod? The reflector is different, but is it any worse? I have a sunpod now and am considering doing a retrofit now instead in order to gain a bit of atinics with the 70w MH.

• 1 year later...

I have a question for the people that have done this DIY project and have had it up and running over their tank for a least a few months. How is the light working and are you getting the outcome that you expected from it? For those that are growing SPS, are you getting good growth? Do you feel that this DIY project is just as good as the expensive MH retrofits? Sorry for all the questions, but I am interested in adding MH to my Biocube 29 hood and I want to make sure that this DIY project is worth the time and the money. Thanks

in my opinion, for anything over a 10 you'd be better modding it to a 150. I had one over a 10 and it worked okay, but I eventually changed it to an led system.

Archived