Pod Your Reef

WTF! Emerald crab eating coral! =(

alizarin

I got a medium sized emerald crab to take care of some buble algae I saw in my tank and I'm wondering what he's doing rubbing up against some zooanthids and WHOA! He's eating it and it's guts are coming out! I think maye he's just tasting it and it wasn't intensional. Then WHAM he rips a Xenia out of the next rock and devours it! WTF!!!? I thought they were at least in the ball park of being reef safe! I'm taking him back to the LFS but is there anything else that eats bubble algae and NOT MY CORALS!

Did you get a male or a female? You want a female. Nothing else that I know of eats bubble algea other than emeralds. Take the rocks out and scrub with a toothbrush. Be careful, that stuff can really spread and bubbles can get large. Good luck.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

its a crab, and crabs behave like crabs :) opertunistic feeders.

i laugh at anybody that tells me arrow,sally light foot and emerald crabs are reef safe.

i found out the hard way thier not :)

Edited by formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
  • Like 2
NEVER SATISFIED REFFER

the one i had would climb my sps and pick the polyps, then killed a frogspawn. i tried to remove him, he didnt want to go. so at first i tried, the got tired and stabbed him with a steak knife. that fixed the prob.

• Like 2

Hmmm..... I got an emerald crab a few months ago, and it has been good so far. Never bothers anything, took care of most of the hair algea problem, and is now picking at what is left of it. I hope it doesn't turn to the dark side when the algea is gone! :huh:

crab = crab.

Some are nice.

Most will eat your $

It's a CRAB!

I have a snowflake eel that won't eat my peppermint shrimp.

Most will.

Most crabs will eat something.

A propensity to do something is different than probably won't do something.

Good luck.

• Like 1
formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
crab = crab.

Some are nice.

Most will eat your $

It's a CRAB!

I have a snowflake eel that won't eat my peppermint shrimp.

Most will.

Most crabs will eat something.

A propensity to do something is different than probably won't do something.

Good luck.

ot my snowflake cleaned out the family of pistol shrimps in my display (approx 20-30 in a week) but he's left my peppermints alone completely. not sure if its color or size, but he doesnt seem interested at all.

DementedLullaby
Anybody know how to tell the difference between male and female emeralds? Not sure I'd take the LFS's word for it.

B

Males have bigger claws than females(and are just generally bigger).

HTH

Edited by DementedLullaby
  • Like 1

The best way to tell male from female is to flip the crab over and take a look at the underside. Males have a thin, pointed section in the center of their body (the point narrows towards the head), females have a much wider, more rounded area that looks like a 'sixpack'. DL is also right, males seem to get much larger and can develop enormous arms/claws.

I got a medium sized emerald crab to take care of some buble algae I saw in my tank and I'm wondering what he's doing rubbing up against some zooanthids and WHOA! He's eating it and it's guts are coming out! I think maye he's just tasting it and it wasn't intensional. Then WHAM he rips a Xenia out of the next rock and devours it! WTF!!!? I thought they were at least in the ball park of being reef safe! I'm taking him back to the LFS but is there anything else that eats bubble algae and NOT MY CORALS!

Which part of "CRABS ARE EVIL" didn't you understand? LOL

Seriously, most crabs will pick apart anything that it's claws are big enough to shred. If they run out of one type of food, they switch, or sometimes they switch based upon which coral you paid more money for.

I love crabs in FOWLR tanks, but...

in a reef tank I always try other solutions before resorting to crabs.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
cosmic1981
Which part of "CRABS ARE EVIL" didn't you understand? LOL

Seriously, most crabs will pick apart anything that it's claws are big enough to shred. If they run out of one type of food, they switch, or sometimes they switch based upon which coral you paid more money for.

I love crabs in FOWLR tanks, but...

in a reef tank I always try other solutions before resorting to crabs.

thats a female

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
s0nginmyheart

I'm a little leary of getting an emerald now what with all the posts I've read. But I do need something to rid some bubble algae. I guess I am just now worried that it will attack my anemones at the bottom --- will it?

Edited by s0nginmyheart

As far as eating corrals etc... I cannot comment since I don't have any yet, but so far I love my emerald he has only been in the tank a couple days and already taken care of every bit of bubble algae I can find. He also cleans non-stop and is very peaceful, but I will keep an eye on him when I get some corrals B)

I have an Emerald Crab in my 40 gallon. I’ve never checked to see if it’s a male or a female, but it has done a tremendous job on all of the macro algae (bubble included). However, with its preferred food source now gone, it has been munching on GSP and some of my LPS (although I don’t really mind it eating the GSP).

It’s a shame, because I know that some of the macro attaches in small crevices which the crab cannot reach, and the algae will start to spread if I ever remove the crab. Emeralds are entertaining and I’m kind of attached to it; so I’m letting it be for now. However, I’ll probably give it away if the damage increases.

• 5 years later...
xxShaddowxx

I had a small emerald crab in my 4 gallon pico because I had a hair algae problem. Tonight I noticed him picking at some of my expensive zoas. He just got put into the future mantis tank. Circle of life and all that

• Like 1

Wow, the was six years ago when I posted that. I must have gotten rid of them (I guess that rings a bell). :lol: If someone were to have asked yesterday, I would have told them that none of my Emeralds have ever bothered my coral.

While they were munching on it, the tank didn't look so bad. However, I do remember that after they were gone, the Bubble Algae returned in force; it was everywhere. I don't recommend them to others anymore, but I still think they are neat little creatures.

Emerald Crabs if they get hungry are opportunistic feeders, but one way to keep them in check that seems to never be mentioned here is to freaking feed them.

I used to give mine a chunk of pygmy angel food few times a week. Worse he's ever done is piss off my zoa as he's picked the algae from between them.

IMG_0456_zps489204bf.jpg?t=1365254739

• Like 3

Wow, the was six years ago when I posted that. I must have gotten rid of them (I guess that rings a bell). :lol:

LOL, I just noticed this post was that old. :o

Emerald Crabs if they get hungry are opportunistic feeders, but one way to keep them in check that seems to never be mentioned here is to freaking feed them.

I use to feed mine Nori. You know, the seaweed used to make sushi. He loved it.