Cultivated Reef

How do you clean the viewing panels of your nano reef?

Christopher Marks

Aquarium Cleaning  

404 members have voted

1. 1. How do you clean the viewing panels of your nano reef?

• Magnetic algae scrubber
    • Razor/Plastic blade
    • Scubber pad
    • Natually, just with snails

Christopher Marks

What do you use to clean the inside panels of your aquarium?

I have always used a razor blade on my glass aquariums. I found the magnetic cleaners were convenient, but could never reach everything.

jenn_jeffery

I have one of the nimble nano magnetic cleaners (CJerome on here) that I use for daily scrapping, I do have to use a razor blade for the coraline and tougher algae spots. The nimbles are great for getting to pretty much everything.

Kellie in CA

The Mag-Float has been working well for me. But, now I am getting a bright green algea on the glass just above the sand and it is impossible to remove!!!

Magnetic during the week, maybe once or twice...small cleaning pad (acrylic) each weekend during water change...also use Kent Marine Pro Scraper on bottom line where LS stops...it also works well on small patchs of coraline that start between each weekend maintance.

Izzue

• Like 1

I have to use a combo of the razor for the majority, and then a small scouring pad for the tight corners where the glass and rock are close together.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I voted for using a Magnetic algae scrubber for every day use but a razor blade is really the gold standard for removing anything if you have enough space to get your hands or scraper pole in there and dont mind getting wet and stirring things around.

C Jerome

Tanque Verde

All you razor blade users, are you just holding the blade in your hand? Or have you got it mounted on a rod of some sort? Is that not a lot of arm in your tank?

Edited by Tanque Verde

I usually just hold it in my hand. I do have a stick with a razor holder that came with this used tank I bought but I feel like I get it done faster with my hand but as you said it gets a little wet and messy.

• 2 weeks later...

Nimble Nano for my 12, mag floats and Kent pro scraper for the other 3. I also have a few snails (that seem to be on a permanent coffee break). :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Brandon's Reef

Im all in for a metal scrapper blade and a little bit of work...those magnets just dont seem to be able to get anything or anywhere due to the size

• 2 months later...
CorvetteJoe

I use a combo of all of them.

MagFloat for regular scum (I need more snails) but not very often

razor blade for coraline in any of the viewing areas

• 1 month later...

I use the Penn-plax Wizard Algae Cleaning Tool With Kit, works amazing I love it and recommend it to everyone, covers every need I have and does it quickly.

post-37200-1220059492_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Militant Jurist

I use all of the above. Magfloat to get the algae that grows higher up, snails to get the stuff closer to the sand and in the corners (since I've cleaned the rest), a scrubber pad for the stuff the Mag can't get off, and a straight-edge for the coralline (although I keep my coralline in the tank, so that people can say "Holy Coralline!" ;)

I just use a paper towel! Though I need to invest in a scrubber pad to keep my hands out of the tank, I guess.

The magfloat vibrates the whole tank when I use it, which stresses stuff out. Also a lot of people get their tank scratched when a grain of sand gets behind it, so I am a little timid to use it.