Pod Your Reef

Who is Christopher Brightwell?

adinsxq

http://www.championlighting.com/product.ph...08&cat=0&page=1

Christopher Brightwell

Hardcover, 256 pp.

The wide range of topics covered in this guide include the importance of water quality and tips on maintaining stable water parameters;compnents of a nano-reef and how to choose the appropriate aquarium, lighting, and accessories for a tank; which fish and invertabrates are best for these types of tanks; and much, much more. For a reef enthusiast looking for a new challenge or any up-and-coming fish hobbyist, nano-reef aquariums are a stunningly beautiful option. The Nano-Reef Handbook contains all the information necessary to get started.

tnrhb.jpg

also,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/079380574...5Fencoding=UTF8

Marine Chemistry (Hardcover)

by Christopher Brightwell

Book Description

The single most important contributor to success with a marine aquarium is maintaining appropriate water chemistry parameters. However, many hobbyists find the concept of water chemistry to be very daunting. This book starts by addressing basic topics like the definition of "good" water quality and why water quality is so important. It then moves on to more complex subjects, such as how exactly to obtain and maintain good water quality, what fourteen water tests can be performed by the hobbyist, and how to troubleshoot particular water chemistry problems. All of these topics are addressed in great detail, with an emphasis on making the information both clear and comprehensive.

Discover the key to aquarium success by reading Marine Chemistry and following its complete and comprehensible advice.

About the Author

CHRISTOPHER BRIGHTWELL has been an aquarium hobbyist for more than 25 years and has set up and maintained all manner of aquaria. In 1999, he earned a degree in Marine Science from Coastal Carolina University. Chris and his wife lives in Keansburg, New Jersey, with their 180-gallon planted aquarium and 75-gallon reef aquarium.

CHRISTOPHER BRIGHTWELL has been an aquarium hobbyist for more than 25 years and has set up and maintained all manner of aquaria. In 1999, he earned a degree in Marine Science from Coastal Carolina University. Chris and his wife lives in Keansburg, New Jersey, with their 180-gallon planted aquarium and 75-gallon reef aquarium.
waitaminute, where's his "nano" tank?

i think littletyger did a review on his book. i don't think she liked it. <_<

btw somebody slipped a "nano-reef.com" reference (2nd review) on another book, The Simple Guide To Mini-reef Aquariums. :lol: good for pakrat!

I browsed through this book while at Borders last week.

I was not impressed by it. There was some good info, but nothing you couldn't find for free online.

I'd spend my $17 on coral instead.

I wasted a lot of $$ buying an advance copy of this book before it was published. Boy was I disappointed when it finally arrived (more than a month after the promised date). Most of what's in there is readily available online. Also there are very few photos and the ones that are there are poor quality. I really wanted something to with photos and species profiles of corals w/ideas for proper care and placement. Should have waited until it was published.

waitaminute, where's his "nano" tank?

No kidding. Has anyone ever heard of this guy or is he just a self acclaimed expert on nano-reefs.

For those of you who read it, how did the info compair w/ the usual flow of things here?

Interesting. Typically in this hobby and the real world you get what you pay for. $17...I'll pass.

Also 15g and under? I thought it was pretty well established amoungst nano-reefers that it was 30 and under.

All his info can be found here and on other boards.

I think your question was: "Does he agree or disagree with most of the information that we dole out on NR.com?"

My answer to that is: in the text of the book he appears to agree with about 95% of the info that is commonly found here on NR.com.

I went through the book and I didn't see anything that I hadn't already seen in 20 other places.

It is kind of nice to have it in print just in case your internet connection is down, but I can keep a notebook for $0 and have in it only the information that I think is reputable.

Ray, you think I should dust off the 3 and 1/2 inch floppies and get back to doing mine ? LOL.....

I gave up on writing it a few years ago.

Ray, you think I should dust off the 3 and 1/2 inch floppies and get back to doing mine ? LOL.....

I gave up on writing it a few years ago.

finish it. you have time nowadays, don't you?

hell, i've almost gone ahead myself a couple of times. already have an outline, a couple of articles/subjects, pics, and the general layout all rolling around in my head. :wacko:

i've just never have the time to crank it out. y'know, too busy with the stooopid biz.

hey, i told you before, if you don't eventually do it, i will. so giddyup, mofo! :lol:

How valuable do you guys really think books are in this hobby, though? When you look at compendiums that deal with species (be it coral, fish, etc.) and other organisms, I think those are more 'timeless' because it's not like requirement, behaviour, etc. are going to change.

However, this hobby is always changing. Just think back 8 years ago and the type of equipment that was available for nanos. Actually, there wasn't really any--you just DIY'd or tried to use things for bigger tanks. Or got a Skilter. Now there is an entire nitch market with new products coming out each year. Heck, 7 years ago everyone seemed to think it would be INSANE and pretty pointless to put a halide over a nano...now they're all over.

What I'm trying to say is this: so much is happening so fast that by the time a book was submitted, accepted, then taken through the editing and finally the publishing process...it seems like most things would be almost yesterday's news. With the Net and the vaults of information that can be stored and discussed and compiled, do you think something along the lines of an online magazine (as many seem to have gone the way of) might be more beneficial, is it is constantly adding to and revising information as the hobby progresses?

With a degree in "marine science" there isnt much more to do than write books.

:unsure:

Boy I hope that isn't true... Kinda puts a damper on that whole "I'm going to get a PhD in marine biology or oceanography" thing.

Maybe it's a good thing that I want to stay in the research/teaching area of academia.

How valuable do you guys really think books are in this hobby, though? When you look at compendiums that deal with species (be it coral, fish, etc.) and other organisms, I think those are more 'timeless' because it's not like requirement, behaviour, etc. are going to change.
i think books are invaluable actually. even if the info is outdated and laughable. :unsure:

but i was always thinking of a basic step-by-step book and some nano-viewpoints to offer another viewpoint other than traditional reef-tanking. i wouldn't delve too much into hardware and such.

frankly, i've always likened it to the toyota chairman's comment about making cars (versus the voluminous books put out by US automakers). basically, he said, "book? i can tell you how to make a car with a pamphlet. who needs a book?" that's pretty much been my thought on nanos.

i could sit down and go over the basics and most of the fine points in an hour or so. putting it to paper is a bit more labor and time-consuming though but not out-of-reach if one has a little bit of time. (i don't :( )

does the nano-niche hobby need a book? probably not. but when i see "nano books" start coming out that aren't really "nano-reefing" then i think we might.

Boy I hope that isn't true... Kinda puts a damper on that whole "I'm going to get a PhD in marine biology or oceanography" thing.

Maybe it's a good thing that I want to stay in the research/teaching area of academia.

even academics have pressure to publish, fosi. 'published' professors bring recognition and prestige and get promotions and tenure. 'non-published' get...well, not as much.

from what i see, it's often as cut-throat as the corporate world. blech.

even academics have pressure to publish, fosi. 'published' professors bring recognition and prestige and get promotions and tenure. 'non-published' get...well, not as much.

Duh. :P

I was reacting to Nuhutty's comment about just writing books.

That would blow. I am more interested in the research end. Publishing is the only way to have a non-commercial science career in the USA and I have no fear of it. I just don't want to write books that are as useless as the one we have been discussing in this thread.

As far as cut-throat, that depends on your area. I have friends in graduate programs who are in "hot" areas of research and ones that aren't. The hot areas will always have more competition, obviously, but not everyone is interested in the hot areas of research.

I am hoping that I get into an area where I don't have too much overlap with my contemporaries. I'd like to think the ocean(s) are big enough for all us marine-interested egg heads.

If not... I'll step on peoples hands to make sure that I can get a tenured teaching or research position at a good-ish school. :lol:

Atleast with books, good advice and solid information and replies do not dissapear with server space cuts, and "time frame" of reletivity to the present day.......

ZING !

I've learned quite a lot from books, and that is not always GOOD techniques, not all BAD either, but they are a referance point that is not all garbled up in speculation from multiple angles.

"FORUMS" allow anyone with a keyboard to give advice......... Books do not.

well, anyone with a word processor and access to incriminating photos of a publisher can also give advice though.

self-publishing is also possible, although probably not adviseable financially-speaking.

Tiny, I " PUBLISH" every time I type..........

AH AM AH REEFLAW ! ( Say it like Judge Dread)

AH AM AH REEFLAW ! ( Say it like Judge Dread)
but when i picture you, i don't think judge dredd though.

hmmm, it's more like...

stickerr.jpg

:P

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at it at Borders, thought I was going to want to buy it and after five minutes of reading picked it up and started reading a guide to diving the Red Sea.

Much more information than "The Nano-Reef Handbook".

Writing a book does not mean you need to be credentialed or have your work peer reviewed.

When I write a medical paper I have a choice. I can submit it to a non reviewed journal where they will publish anything to fill their pages, or I can submit to a peer-reviewed journal where several qualified medical individuals scrutinize my work and THEN decide if it should be published.

I could write a book today and if I could convince a publishing company that there is a market for my book (perhaps by showing them the size of online reef forums) then I will have an editor tomorrow and a book published by thursday.

Im not saying the process is easy...I am going through it now. But when writing a book the people publishing it are more concerned about the pictures and text format than the content. They dont care what people think of the book...as long as the person buys it first.

I was all excited about this book when it came out too, ordered it advance and everything. It's no good, mediocore at best. Oh well. There are some much better books out there, I wouldn't purchase nor reccomend them, and I agree, I love having a good book around, even with this great informative website here. I can bring it to bed a read and let this hobby entirely engulf my life that way.

littletyger

I'm suspicious about the review given after mine on Amazon. There were no reviews for 2 weeks, I put in my 2 stars and the very next day there's a 5 star very generic review. Friend of the author? Hmmmm.....?

Archived