SaltCritters.com

Mini_GBR's 24g Nanocube

Mini_GBR

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I seen you are on got any updates? How you been?Work keeping you busy?

Any updates? I really like this tank.

Hey there guys. Sorry for the lack of updates, still a huge supporter of this site. I had taken a new job right after the TOTM write up and have worked nearly everyday since then, so it's been a bit rough to even do weekly maintenance (but i have, just less sleep! haha).

Since that write up i had to deal with a mystery (or not so mystery now) parasite that has been coming in on Australian Acan's, so i had to treat the tank with Interceptor to kill it off. After that i had to cut away a bunch of the parts of a few of my acans to save what I could (which I was successful luckily), and now i have a bunch of smaller colonies growing all over where the colonies once were. Luckily I was able to save something since this parasite has been popping up a lot recently and there's not much infotmation on it still.

My SPS however are doing amazing and growing out of control. Really need to do some fragging of all of it. I will try to post some pictures as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for the interest!

-Mike

• 3 months later...
almost2old4this

OMG love your tank, coolest 24dx EVER!!!! are those mostly blasto's, i love haw u ran another pump over to point back down on the rocks ur tank is BADASSS to the max, and the halide was a beasty choice, keep doing ur thing:] :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

OMG love your tank, coolest 24dx EVER!!!! are those mostly blasto's, i love haw u ran another pump over to point back down on the rocks ur tank is BADASSS to the max, and the halide was a beasty choice, keep doing ur thing:] :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Those are almost all Acanthastrea Lords. It is an amazing tank though.

Those are almost all Acanthastrea Lords. It is an amazing tank though.

Thanks for the kudos, Paleoreef is correct, almost all of those LPS I have are Acans, but i do like the blastos a lot, just hadn't really come by as many variations as Acans when I was really stocking this tank. My next build will be a really big tank, and will be throwing a bunch of blastos in that for sure.

As for the Halide, the original build on this system was part of the AIO, and it lasted about 1.5 years before dying, so I went open top at that point and wanted to maintain anything I wanted and already had, so the 150w MH was a great choice for the SPS at top and the LPS towards the bottom. The fans I have on top of the back of the tank help with evaporation cooling and I never have a problem with overheating.

• 11 months later...

Hi Mini I just read your entire post. Great information and great tank. If you get a chance to update it I'd love to see how it has changed and progressed. I am in the process of planning my nanocube28/biocube 29 and I think I will be like many others here and borrow some of your ideas. I hadn't considered doing SPS but seeing what you did with yours has given me a few ideas of how to do it. In addition to pic updates would you have done anything differently during the life of your tank?

Kevin

• 3 months later...

Ok, so I have been slacking on my postings and participation lately, but since I realized my tank just celebrated 5 years with the same system, I figured I should do an little update.

Front:

Front_42811.jpg

Left:

Left_42811.jpg

Right:

Right_42811.jpg

Left Front, closer up.

CUFront.jpg

Since the TOTM post, I had a battle with some mystery LPS parasite that apparently came over from Australia, but I was able to kill it with some dog heartworm medicine called Interceptor, so my LPS are still making a come back from that incident, but otherwise all is well.

I have removed my Skimmer, and have noticed that my coral is much happier for it. I bought the skimmer to test it out, and I now firmly believe that for our smaller systems, the skimmer is unnecessary (only my opinion obviously). Larger systems however, I still think benefit from them.

I should mention that everything is obviously overgrown and I need to get a bigger tank, which is in the planning, but I have to wait to build that out for two things:o build it out until I move. Having said that, if anyone wants some frags of any of my SPS, or some frogspawn, or the purple Rhodactis, I would be happy to sell them for cheap! I'll post a sale thread soon.

Hope you enjoy the update!

• 3 years later...

Archived