Mini_GBR

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Topside:

Top9months.jpg

My Monti Cap Garden from the top:

MontiCapgarden.jpg

I took these soon after I got the piece about 4 months ago. It was about 2x1, and I have let it grow ever since. Your piece was the first I sold from that frag I got, which was a piece I had accidently broke off my original piece soon after I got it, so the whole thing has had a good chance to grow. I'm sure your piece will be a colony in no time.

-mike

• 2 weeks later...

I missed my tank's one year updaate, but I'm going to post a 13 month update instead. First up is where I started with the original aquascaping and start of the cycle.:

Aquascaping.jpg

and now the FTS at 13 months:

FTS5_15_07.jpg

Left Side:

Leftside5_15_07.jpg

Right Side

Rightside5_15_07copy.jpg

Topside:

Topside5_15_07.jpg

Close up of the upper section:

UpperHalf5_15_07.jpg

Close up of the middle:

Midle_CU5_15_07.jpg

It's been great having this forum to bounce ideas off of everyone, and it's helped me to really see how far the aquarium has come. Thanks to everyone that has helped me out (and there are many), and I can't wait to have it around for another 13 months. Let me know of anyway I could improve it, and I hope you all enjoy,

Mike

All in all, with the solid wood stand to support everything, I have probably spent $1,500, give or take a $100. I should mention also that my goal a year ago was to make the tank self-sustaining, meaning that I get most of my new corals for free through trades, and by selling frags of some of my higher end corals back to the store or to fellow members on here. All in all I am very pleased with the system and the setup, and it was worth every penny.

• 7 months later...

1st i must say you have a BEAUTIFUL reef!

I totally understand what you are saying and I am in no rush to go out and buy everything at once. I am currently in high school and have a great summer job ($11/hour 5 days a week for 6.5 hours) so i can definately afford it.

I like your tank so much that I want to model at least my hardware setup after yours. I know it'll cost quiet a bit of money, but i am willing to fork it out.

So I understand that you basically bought everything at once, right?

thanks a bunch

1st i must say you have a BEAUTIFUL reef!

I totally understand what you are saying and I am in no rush to go out and buy everything at once. I am currently in high school and have a great summer job ($11/hour 5 days a week for 6.5 hours) so i can definately afford it.

I like your tank so much that I want to model at least my hardware setup after yours. I know it'll cost quiet a bit of money, but i am willing to fork it out.

So I understand that you basically bought everything at once, right?

thanks a bunch

I did buy everything at once, and by no means is that the only way to go, but having setup a couple tanks prior to this, it simply made things a lot easier. I should mention that I love my all in one system very much and what I accomplished with it, but had to buy a quick fix and get a 150w sunpod for the tank a month ago just before the holidays because something in my hood was on the fritz and causing my pc's to flicker. I am happy for the most part with the new lighting, and it is definitely simplified to the monster that i created, but as soon as i get some time I will be fixing my beloved hood.

Wow, any updates?

Hands down nicest nanocube I've seen.

WOW, Thanks so much Joker, it's quite the compliment with as many amazing reefs as there are on this site.

I moved about 4 months ago, so everythings one giant mess (life that is, not the tank), but this weekend I will be trying to do a big update with new corals and some amazing growth in my monti garden.

Ya, I have still bee looking around and was told that I could buy a replacement AP24 (tank only) for $100 and then buy the Sunpod 150w for $250. If I did that, it would be alot easier to keep heat out, and I don't have to mod heavily.

I also found a 24G Aquapod + sun pod 150w + free shipping for $330.

• 4 weeks later...

Found you!

Thankyou for pointing me in the direction of this thread of yours. I will be following your tank closely :) and pinching some of your ideas ;)

ir0n: Both those seem like decent deals, but I have been amazed by how much heat the sunpod actually gives off and heats the tank, mainly b/c of the surface area I think. I do like it, but be ready to get some fans to evap cool, or some other type of way to keep the temp constant.

L34NN3: Anything I can do to help you work through your build, let me know. It was nerve racking for me too, and had help too, so I'm happy to pay it forward. Welcome to the hobby.

Also... I will be getting a shipment of amazing acans next week so I will do a much needed and thorough update on the tank, which will be just in time for my 2 year celebration of the tank and the thread. Yippeeeee!!!

• 2 weeks later...
ir0n: Both those seem like decent deals, but I have been amazed by how much heat the sunpod actually gives off and heats the tank, mainly b/c of the surface area I think. I do like it, but be ready to get some fans to evap cool, or some other type of way to keep the temp constant.

L34NN3: Anything I can do to help you work through your build, let me know. It was nerve racking for me too, and had help too, so I'm happy to pay it forward. Welcome to the hobby.

Also... I will be getting a shipment of amazing acans next week so I will do a much needed and thorough update on the tank, which will be just in time for my 2 year celebration of the tank and the thread. Yippeeeee!!!

mini your tank is absolutely ridiculous :o Im truly inspired...

WOWOWOW, thanks guy!!!, really appreciated. I haven't been nominated or been put up for a tank of the month here, but would love to be submitted. Other good news is that my shipment of Aussie Acans comes in about 2 hours, so I will be posting a well deserved update because there have been a few changes, and a lot of growth!

-Mike

Here is a much needed update, and a chance to show off my 2 year anniversary of the tank. First off I moved about 6 months ago, so things have changed a bit.

Next, I had to replace my modded hood around Christmas due to a short in the hood that I didn't have time to pull apart and fix, but the 150w sunpod I replaced it with is awesome, so I'm not too upset.

Lastly, my shipment of Aussie Acan's came in safe and sound from Zoanuts this time (I had a terrible loss a month ago in shipping, so these ones I just received are replacements) and I am really happy. So now its time to post some pretty pictures.

FTS 2.22.08

FTS2_22_08.jpg

Right Side 2.22.08

Topdown2_22_08.jpg

Left Side 2.22.08

LeftSide2_22_08.jpg

Top Down 2.22.08

TopDown2_22_08-1.jpg

My Orange Monti after a huge fragging, now at least half the size.

MontipostFrag.jpg

Green and Purple Rim Monti

GreenMonti.jpg

Green and Purple Acan, one of many from the new shipment

GreenandPurpleAcan.jpg

Orange Crush at 10 months

OrangeCrush10months.jpg

(I didn't start really feeding this until about a month ago and has doubled in size. Really fast grower now)

And my Harlequin shrimp at night I got to control the Astrea (sp?) starfish that were eating all my Corraline algae.

Harlequimatnight.jpg

I now have very little room left in the tank, so now its time for some good growing. I hope you all enjoyed this little update, hopefully the next one won't be 8 months from now. Thanks for looking.

Awesome update. How much has that Lobo grown since you got it? Have you actuallyseen the harliquin shrimp eat the asteras yet?

The lobo hasn't actually grown too much except its mantle that really expands, they seem to be slow growers, but it has almost completed its split into two full heads.

I have seen that harlequin shrimp eat a ton of those little asteras, which is fascinating to watch.

Great looking tank!

Have you thought about putting the acans on the sand bed or will they grow just as good on the rocks?

I have only had 2 other acan's so I don't really know if there is a difference in growth on the sand or on the rock structure. I would think eventually the acan will start growing on the rock structure and spread from there, but I could totally be off, so anyone, please feel free to enlighten me. Thanks again,

- Mike

• 5 months later...
I have only had 2 other acan's so I don't really know if there is a difference in growth on the sand or on the rock structure. I would think eventually the acan will start growing on the rock structure and spread from there, but I could totally be off, so anyone, please feel free to enlighten me. Thanks again,

- Mike

How has your reef been? just started reading your thread today and it's great! So...update?

Archived