Aquarium Logs  

379 members have voted

1. 1. Do you keep an aquarium log?

• Yes
    • No, I never have
    • No, but I used to

For those of you that use Mac OSX, here is a great app/log:

http://www.everydaysoftware.net/maquarium/

"Maquarium is aquarium management software for the novice or expert fish keeper. It allows users to track chemicals, schedule tasks, keep notes, analyze expenses and manage inventory. Maquarium features a built-in database that contains information which helps you track and maintain the delicate needs of each fish, plant, coral and invertebrate in the tank. Furthermore, Maquarium helps the novice by warning of dangerously high chemical values and the recommended course of treatment. It also allows experts to set up custom warning values. Maquarium is a must have for all fish hobbyists."

GOD I love my mac right now !

Thanks for posting !

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

i keep a log on speciments, bulb changes, problems, and water parameters on a biweekly (or so) basis.

I dont include daily top off or chemical dosing since this is not important me.

Just the gear maintenance, everything else relies on experience

• 4 months later...
CorvetteJoe

Nope never have, but I kind of wished I did. I dont test water very often, so there is little point in it for me I guess.

Yes!!! In my own OCD way.....I have a folder with dividers and everything. Keeps stats on everything. Pockets in folder for brochures, info with products I buy. As well as water changes, livestock, dosing, info on dips etc...

And it all has to be in the same color pen......ooops TMI!! :D

• 7 months later...
justanotherreefer

I just started but I keep a log for when to add supplements/trace elements, when to change water, concentrations of nitrates, salinity, and any other updates I do to my tank. I use google calendars from gmail to log all the information. It's pretty efficient to show you what happened or what you need to do to your tank every month. You can color code too, which is awesome!

• 1 month later...

I wish I had found this before I wrote an application to manage and track my tank. On the other hand, I wish I had not seen some of the suggestions in prior posts. Now I have more ideas for my application. More work. Oh well.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes. I have two nano reefs and I keep records for both.

The first one is a 15gal long softie tank that is my "main" tank. I have a dedicated, nice little

logbook that I jot everything down into. I even keep species spec pages in it, along with

water change logs and parameter logs.

The second one is a 6gal long tank that is known around the house by the name

"Tank of DOOM". Basically anything questionable and possibly dangerous and

unwanted goes into this tank, instead of down the toilet. It's a cut-throat tank. First resident besides extra sand and a few pieces of live rock rubble was a GPS eating Nudibranch. Current recently added residents are :P Vicious long-snouted snail-eating snails, valonia, brysis algae, lots of majanos, etc etc. It's actually a fun tank, and I jot everything down in a dollar-store notebook. :P

SK8URDEAD
Yes. I have two nano reefs and I keep records for both.

The first one is a 15gal long softie tank that is my "main" tank. I have a dedicated, nice little

logbook that I jot everything down into. I even keep species spec pages in it, along with

water change logs and parameter logs.

The second one is a 6gal long tank that is known around the house by the name

"Tank of DOOM". Basically anything questionable and possibly dangerous and

unwanted goes into this tank, instead of down the toilet. It's a cut-throat tank. First resident besides extra sand and a few pieces of live rock rubble was a GPS eating Nudibranch. Current recently added residents are :P Vicious long-snouted snail-eating snails, valonia, brysis algae, lots of majanos, etc etc. It's actually a fun tank, and I jot everything down in a dollar-store notebook. :P

i do i used what steive uses which is reefcon. simple and free and works good.

• 6 months later...
HeyLookItsCaps

google calendar. can access from my cell or my house with reminders if certain things are needed. IE water changes, 12 month bulb change cycles, feeding of pellet and frozen and on what days, pump maintenance/cleaning.

I kept a log when my original nanocube was first setup, but then just became a hassle. Now I test weekly before my wc or when there are visible signs of a change in water quality. I also found that testing and logging daily caused me to micromanage and overcorrect. Dripping kalk and alk has also kept my parameters fairly stable.

• 3 weeks later...

Nope, It is just one more thing to do. My tank is in my room so I see it all the time, and do weekly water changes. If I see something out of the ordinary, I then mess with it. Because, the more I mess with the tank the more that goes wrong.

• 8 months later...

Archived