Christopher Marks

Aquarium Logs  

379 members have voted

1. 1. Do you keep an aquarium log?

• Yes
    • No, I never have
    • No, but I used to

Christopher Marks

Do you keep track of your aquarium additions, changes, maintenance, etc. with an aquarium log? If so, what do you use? A notebook, software, something online?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i keep a log of every reef tank (fowlr's don't count :P ).

i use lotus organizer/planner and just type in various "appointments" and recurring events, whether they're daily, weekly, monthly or custom (e.g. bulb replacements).

i print it out into a calendar form and just clip it. sometimes i have to "catchup" if i ignore a tank for a couple of days or a week. but they're good reminders of what i need to do or have done. invaluable information imo.

even a freebie calendar is good for jotting down notes and what-not's. you don;t have to be meticulous imo.

I use the Notepad included with Windows. I'm a software engineer I just haven't had time to throw something together. Eventually I will, and I'll post a link so anyone who wants it, can use it.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you that use Mac OSX, here is a great app/log:

http://www.everydaysoftware.net/maquarium/

"Maquarium is aquarium management software for the novice or expert fish keeper. It allows users to track chemicals, schedule tasks, keep notes, analyze expenses and manage inventory. Maquarium features a built-in database that contains information which helps you track and maintain the delicate needs of each fish, plant, coral and invertebrate in the tank. Furthermore, Maquarium helps the novice by warning of dangerously high chemical values and the recommended course of treatment. It also allows experts to set up custom warning values. Maquarium is a must have for all fish hobbyists."

• 2 weeks later...
non-photosynt

Tried to keep log, but it comes to either log, either reef keeping; no time for both.

Used TreePad freeware, another software that allows pictures but no node names, other than dates, is Advanced Diary. Now I'm writting down what was added in paper calendar, tests results - in the small notepad, puchases receipts go onto paperclip under the shelf.

Quote: 'I haven't even tested for anything other than SG in over 6 months!'

Be a good fellow: make the post at Beginners forum, share experience how to do that with those unfortunates who are still fighting for the reef survival.;)

• 11 months later...

I have not in the past - but I can see from logs that others have kept how it would be nice to compare before & afters... I am going to keep one on my new nano sps

A big 3-ring binder. Has a log section plus various sections that hold instruction manuals, receipts, box sides with equipment specs on them, hard copies of SW articles, etc. Sometimes the log's pretty regular (esp. if something exciting's going on) but usually it's just a note jotted now & then...upper left in this pic:

dscn3903medium8vp.jpg

Love those notebooks that let you slip a picture down into the covers!

(That shot came from this old thread :)

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t=0#entry708408 )

Once I realized my digi pics have screen notes with dates on them, I've gotten REALLY lazy. I just make sure to photograph each new addition and then I have a record of when I got it stored right with the pics. This doesn't work with things like H2O params, of course...

But the notebook's very handy. Just tonight I went to it to get the specs on the kind of replacement bulb I need to order for my hood...

--Diane

• 9 months later...

mine looks like this in a simple notepad document

1-19-08

AFTERNOON

NH3 0.5

NO2 0.2

NO3 5.0

1-20-08

MORNING

NH3 1.0

NO2 0.5

NO3 20

MIDDAY

NH3 .25

NO2 0.5

NO3 20

EVENING

NH3 0.5

NO2 0.5

NO3 20

1-21-08

MIDDAY

NH3 .25

NO2 0.5

NO3 20

EVENING

NH3 .25

NO2 0.2

NO3 20

1-22-08

MORNING

NH3 .25

NO2 0.2

NO3 10

EVENING

NH3 .25

NO2 0.2

NO3 10

1-23-08

MORNING

NH3 0.15-0.20

NO2 0.2

NO3 10

1-24-08

NOON

NH3 .10

NO2 0.1

NO3 5.0

1-25-08

NOON

NH3 .10

NO2 0.1

NO3 5.0

1-26-08

NOON

NH3 .25

NO2 0.1

NO3 10

10 GALLON CHANGE

EVENING

NH3 .25

NO2 0.1

NO3 10

1-27-08

NOON

NH3 .25

NO2 0.1

NO3 10

I do, but I don't record things like water params or when I last topped off or whatever. Just not that organized. While purchasing everything I kept track of each item and how much it cost. I also track when a light bulb went into service so I know when to change it.

I also track any new livestock and when I feel like it I record the date of any loses.

I use a freeware program called ReefCon2000 for this purpose. Google on it and you will get a link to download it if you like.

Yup, Excell is very good for it. I keep track of water parameters (when I feel like tsting them), water changes, any dosing I may do, and other odds and ends like light bulb changes, additions/removals of coral frags/livestock

It added to the fun when I first started plus it is helpful if youhave a bad memory.

Yeah - and I log everyting I've killed in it. Before going to the LFS I make sure to review the damage I've done - It help keeps new purchases to a minimum.

I dont use a log, but I do use Current USA's Nano Planner... http://current-usa.com/nanoplanner.html

It is cool for me because I just have a simple 12g AP and it reminds me to do everything.

These are the 16 tasks you can set:

-Check Water Chemistry

-Add Medication

-Top Off Water

-Add Calcium

-Add Supplements

-Change Carbon

-Change Water

-Change Filter Cartridge

-Change Phosphate Remover

-Change Chemical Media

-Check Supplies

-Change Fluorescent Lamps

-Change Compact Fluorescents

-Change UV Lamp

-Change Metal Halide Lamps

-Reset Timers

You can change the display to only show the tasks that you want to use and when the task is completed, you just click the check mark next to the task and it automatically resets the date to the interval that you set it at.

Jesse

I dont use a log, but I do use Current USA's Nano Planner... http://current-usa.com/nanoplanner.html

It is cool for me because I just have a simple 12g AP and it reminds me to do everything.

These are the 16 tasks you can set:

-Check Water Chemistry

-Add Medication

-Top Off Water

-Add Calcium

-Add Supplements

-Change Carbon

-Change Water

-Change Filter Cartridge

-Change Phosphate Remover

-Change Chemical Media

-Check Supplies

-Change Fluorescent Lamps

-Change Compact Fluorescents

-Change UV Lamp

-Change Metal Halide Lamps

-Reset Timers

You can change the display to only show the tasks that you want to use and when the task is completed, you just click the check mark next to the task and it automatically resets the date to the interval that you set it at.

Jesse

i used to use that but then it scrwed up my computer!

• 3 weeks later...

Just stumbled across this thread, and thought you might be interested in a little application I'm working on. Its totally FREE and has lots of new features like posting your current tank parameters to forums in one click!

Tank Tracker can be accessed off the North East Coral home page by the top menu.

tt1.jpg

You will have to sign up, or sign in if you already have an account

tt2.gif

Once signed in, pick an existing tank, or create as many tanks as you want to track parameters for!

tt3.gif

Once you have your tank selected, enter parameters and a graph will be generated for you automatically. You can find trends in your tank. In the near future you'll be able to post your results to your chronicle with one click!

tt4.gif

Archived