Top Shelf Aquatics

Who laid these eggs in my tank?

ExoticReefer

ExoticReefer

Ok let me start off by saying there are about 15-20 small oblong oval shaped white

colored eggs. They are on the back wall and the glass near the back on both sides. At first because they are really small I thought they were air bubbles on the glass until I got a little closer.

As far as what I have in my 12 gal dx is: 1 oceallaris clown (very small), 1 very small

yellow watchman goby, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 larger sized nerite snail, 1 small nerite snail, 1 margarita snail, 1 astrea snail, 1 giant tonga nassarius snail, 1 bumblebee snail and 1 emerald crab.

And the only ones I even think possible are the oceallaris, the shirmp, or the large nerite snail because these are the only tank inhabitants that move around on the glass or near the back. Most of the others are on the rocks or under the sand or rocks.

****I posted some pics below*****

Shrimp carry their eggs with them, either internally or stuck to their abdomens. They don't lay them on a surface. So I think you can scratch the shrimp off your list of suspects. Crabs are the same way, so your emerald isn't a suspect either.

ExoticReefer

yea...im pretty sure it was the nerite snail. The eggs look similar to white sesame seeds. Maybe I will try to get some pics and post them so others will know what they look like.

Btw. does anyone know how likely it is for these to hatch? Would like to give a

few to my buddy cause I really dont need any more.

ExoticReefer

Heres a pic of the larger nerite snail and some of her eggs on the back wall.

And the second pic is of the nerite snail while i was doing the drip acclimation.post-18317-1143952312_thumb.jpgpost-18317-1143952561_thumb.jpg

Beautiful nerite! I love the patterns on these snails.

According to that Advanced Aquarists article, baby nerites are seldom seen in tanks despite the frequent appearance of eggs. I haven't looked into this further, though.

Maybe I can post my pic that disappeared from the previous thread (of two eggs laid, oddly, just below the substrate--most were on the glass):

dscn4999medium4ed.jpg

--Diane

I'm really curious about how they will hatch too. My back wall is COVERED in them, and has been for a while. Are you sure they are eggs? I'm by all means no expert, but with the duration of time that they've been there and no new snails in my tank, I would conclude that they are mineral deposits or something.

I'm really curious about how they will hatch too. My back wall is COVERED in them, and has been for a while. Are you sure they are eggs? I'm by all means no expert, but with the duration of time that they've been there and no new snails in my tank, I would conclude that they are mineral deposits or something.

I've been getting these nerite snail eggs all over my glass as well. I only pick off the ones on my glass because it doesn't look nice. Evern if these eggs were to hatch, I bet any of the other inhabitants in the tank would make a meal out of the baby snails...

Do you dose calcium or kalk because I got those after I started look just like your pics. My dots are calcium buildup spots maybe yours are the same thing.

good luck hope this helps

ExoticReefer

I started using the Kent A&B two part nano additive about a week to two

weeks ago. They are not calcium deposits because I have watched the snail

lay eggs over the last two days.

Will they hatch...I dont care if the other tankmates eat the babies but should

I just scrape the eggs off the wall or leave them to see if they will hatch.

If so about how long do they take to hatch?

Okay, if you won't go to the article, I'll bring the article to you! :D

Quote (from http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2003/invert.htm ):

"The white egg capsules look like sesame seeds and are commonly seen on the glass or live rock in aquariums with nerites. They often generate "what is that?" remarks from observers. Just say they're sesame seeds and watch how the subject gets changed. Though these egg capsules are laid prolifically, I have so far not seen an example where new nerites appeared. Apparently the larval period and requirement for planktonic food limits the successful recruitment of nerite larvae. There may also be a special requirement that the egg capsules be exposed with the change of the tides, or rainfall and salinity change may be necessary for some species."

I have never seen them hatch. They just sort of disappear--but new ones appear in new places.

--Diane

• 2 weeks later...

Archived