Innovative Marine Aquariums

Notebook

c est ma

Maybe this should be in the lounge, I don't know, but I was inspired by SCUBALeah's coral forum thread on keeping a log of her corals to post a little item about something that enhances the hobby for me (along with cameras, books, and of course, the www!).

This may be too hard-copy for the computer age but I have found it most helpful to keep a running notebook of the various critters I've kept over the years. Not only to keep a daily or weekly log of additions, changes, improvements, and set-backs, but to accumulate articles I just have to print out (sometimes forum threads), those I tear from magazines, etc. It's also a great place to keep receipts, equipment brochures and warranty cards, invoices, and so on.

I like the notebooks with clear vinyl covers into which I can insert my own pics, and ones that have inside pockets. And of course there are all sorts of great dividers, pocket inserts, etc., one can buy.

I took a pic of some of my notebooks, just to show you how wonky I am. From upper left clockwise they are SW nano, dart frogs, leaf chams, and tortoises. Maybe you can tell that the SW notebook is 3X as big as the others!

dscn3903medium8vp.jpg

--Diane

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

dam fine idea. i wish i'd started a hard copy of all the critters i've kept over the years. most are a distant memory.

do we get to see more of the "sercet files" :)

and learning the guitar, you must have to much time on your hands also.

:) :) :) :)

I kinda tried doing that for recording parameters and changes and stuff but i only did it for a week before i got lazy and stopped :P

Good idea though!

Pili,

Yeah, it takes self-discipline, which is why there can be huge gaps in my logs...my digi cam pic log skips over 100's of pics sometimes...but I've still found some records to be better than no records, so I would say, don't give up. It's amazing how often I forget simple things like the last time I fed my reefette...

I have a FW fish I sure wish I knew the age of--wouldn't you know I'd neglect to note the arrival of the one fish that would endure forever...

And if I don't corral stuff it gets lost in my house, even though I know it's here somewhere...

Regarding the SW notebook, though, I think it's largely a fun displacement activity for not being able to add another tank or two at the moment... :)

Icy--yes, I am pretty much a decadent dilettante, but still there are not enough hours in the day...I can't even keep up with all the posts on n-r...he//, even half of them--no, a quarter of them...no...

So much to learn, so little time...

--Diane

i tried keeping water records on a database for fw. now that its established with weekly water changes on top of hardy fish i pretty much forget about it. with my sw i think i will actually keep a detailed log, so i have something to look back on

I keep a notebook too, but I don't keep pictures of the animals/plants that I have kept. Usually I just list genus and species...

It houses important information that I have gleaned form reading online and hardcopy. I also keep powerhead specs and equipment lists. Most importantly it houses all the design drawings of my DIY projects, whether they were successes or failures, and why.

I do something very similar...fewer pics in mine tho. Helps me a ton too.

just to show you how wonky I am

But I am wonky like that too and have folders for numerous aspects of my life like the vacation property my hubby & I are rennovating as well as my online gaming characters (stats, quests, gear).

Wonky...the best way to be.

edit: Have you ever checked out the Circa products from Levenger? They are my faves when it comes to this stuff. I print my own paper with lines how I want them (like for a log or just general note taking). Very flexibile filing/folder system.

When I had my 180 I had a book compiled of every (known) part of my tank, from equipment to live rock and sand to fish, inverts and corals. It had pictures stolen from the web with good detail, and actual pics of my fish or whatever. Then had a descriptive page about the item. Made an interesting read. Then if someone was looking at my tank and asked "what is that?" I would tell them "Look it up :slap: ! I WORKED HARD ON THAT BOOK!"

I also keep a digital log of my tanks in a program called Aqualog on my PalmPilot.

a journal or record is one of the important tools available for reefers imo. it allows us to see just where we screwed up.

seriously, it does allow reviewing the health and growth of your livestock (if you note it down) if something goes wrong. i've pinpointed many problems to such-and-such date when i changed/switched dosings/salt/bulbs/temps/etc.

i just print out a monthly calendar sheet and just keep adding on. it's also very helpful as a pre-printed reminder for maintenance issues (e.g. bulb changes, cleanings, etc.).

edit: Have you ever checked out the Circa products from Levenger? They are my faves when it comes to this stuff. I print my own paper with lines how I want them (like for a log or just general note taking). Very flexibile filing/folder system.

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely look into those.

I'm enjoying hearing everyone's ideas and experiences with record keeping. And Tiny, you're so right about screw-ups...! :(

--Diane

Diane-

Thank you very much for the compliment. I have a feeling your saltwater log is much bigger than mine becuase you have been in the hobby much longer (and maybe, just maybe, you are a bit more thorough! hehe)

DIANE!! What a good lookin tortis. I showed Arnie, my turtle and she wants to date that cute lookin tortis. She asked me to attach a pic of her. Let me know what your tortis thinks! :lol:

I myself am also old fashioned. I really like to have something in my hands that I can flip through the pages, a hands on log. I still do not believe in relying on computers completly. And it is soooo nice to have a finished notebook and say here is my tank in a hand held version, enjoy! ;)

post-17377-1138950529_thumb.jpg

When I started up my nano I began to use a desktop planner to keep track of stuff. Additions, water changes, water parameters... things like that. I keep track of the 240 as well. That way we never have to ask "When is the last time we did a water change?" :lol:

I've been keeping track of the other critters as well in it... the cats and reptiles. It's a great tool although mine doesn't have pics. But like Icenine, I do have a diary thread for my nano. And I have tons of pics on the hard drive... they're just not set up chronologically, which would be an idea to look into! :D

Stacy

Leah,

Arnie's a she, huh? Well, Natasha (we think, but it could be Boris--baby Russian tortoise) says "Awwwwwwww!" Have you seen the reptile thread in the lounge?

Glad I'm not the only one who likes a hard copy. (Or, supernip: who calls herself anal...sometimes when I do that I wonder if many people still recognize its Freudian roots?)

--Diane

Diane,

About Arnie, we are not exactly sure of her sex. I saved him/her 2 years ago from a farmer that was going to kill him/her. So I took the turtle home instead, I know it's bad but I couldn't bring myself to release him/her back to the wild. Anyway, as for the sex her name is Arnie and if she's a he then his name is Arnold. I think it's funny how we both dont know what the sex is. I just love turtles and torties, they are stinkin cool.

No, I did not know that there was a forum for reptiles. I will have to take a look at it. I bet you get on there every now and then with natoshia/Boris and your frogs.

What a great thread, it makes me smile everytime I see Boris/Natoshia.

Leah

Got any good dart frog forums? Lookin' into setting up something for them, mum is getting sick of the aquariums. (I need to move out now I'm thinking)

I kinda tried doing that for recording parameters and changes and stuff but i only did it for a week before i got lazy and stopped :P

Good idea though!

Sounds familiar....LOL

B)

Archived