Coral Vue Hydros

Mr. Fosi's 5.5AGA fish/coral mix

Mr. Fosi

Well, guess what I found stuck to the AC intake grate this morning. I'd like to blame it on walmart but I don't think I can.

I am going to try it one more time, just in case I got a bum fish.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, You do have a GHA problem, the molly will pick at it constantly but (dont feed it), they wont eat it if you feeding them daily but just leave the tank to its own devices and the molly should keep the green hair algae at bay. Lol again, when my buddy moved his 3 mollies to a larger tank they were the only fish in there for 2 and 1/2 months, and thats all they did was eat the GHA that was growing on the rocks and glass. I think EZ might have something here though, my buddy's seem to live for about 6 months, have babies and then die. The second generation mollies have been alive for at least 8 or 9 months though and there doing fine.

Sorry about your mollie.

• 2 weeks later...
i hope you don't keep him for more than a few months in there as they eventually succumb to the high salinity ;)

not that i was treated my old mollies better...(threw one in my oscar tank long time ago)

actually they do better in saltwater. we recently had a guy bring in a 4" black molly that he had used to cycle his 75 and it was in there for 2 years. my manager also has a 37 gallon tank FULL of saltwater mollies that he has been breeding, and he has some that are 3-4 years old.

Well, guess what I found stuck to the AC intake grate this morning. I'd like to blame it on walmart but I don't think I can.

I am going to try it one more time, just in case I got a bum fish.

get a black molly from an lfs and just chuck him in. i've "acclimated" 4 that way in the back room of my store in an attempt to breed saltwater mollies with no problems whatsoever. until my now former coworker threw in a blue damsel and a coral banded shrimp that killed them.

I picked up a black molly from wallyworld today.

I mixed up some fresh SW to acclimate it in and it seems to be ok... I am going to keep an eye on it for another couple hours before I put it in the 2.5g.

I had black mollies in mine for a long time when I first set it up, years ago. They did fine. Supplied a good food source for my spotted puffer, and themselves :lol: Sailfins work well, too, though they get quite a bit larger. I read somewhere that the orange ones seldom fare well in saltwater.

Well, the black molly didn't do so well either.

After a full day in SW, it looked like it was ready to keel over, so I put it back into FW. Within about 15min of being placed back into FW, it started to look happier.

I'm going to leave it in the beaker for the night and will check on it in the morning. If it is still alive, I will just put it in my FW planted tank.

Anyone out there want to sell me their SW acclimated molly? ;)

by "not doing well" what do you mean? because usually i just toss them in to saltwater, and for the first few hours or even a day or so their fins are sometimes clamped and they hide in the corner. then they get over it and are fine, if they even showed signs of stress to begin with.

by "not doing well" what do you mean?

I mean sitting on the bottom of the container & not responding to stimulus, i.e. being pushed around by a probe. I could tell it was alive only because the gill plates were still moving.

I mean sitting on the bottom of the container & not responding to stimulus, i.e. being pushed around by a probe. I could tell it was alive only because the gill plates were still moving.

hmmm... you have wussy mollies. go to a real lfs and get one, lol. actually, some lfs sell them already acclimated to saltwater as saltwater feeders, so you might get lucky :)

The two LFSs here don't sell them already acclimated...

Maybe I could talk one of the guys into trying it, then buying once he has some success. :ninja::D

EDIT: The Molly was dead by this morning, even after having moved it back into FW.

The end of an era.

1.17.07.end.of.an.era.p.jpg

This tank has been a lot of fun & I am certainly not sorry I started it. However, I probably won't have another SW tank this small unless I have no other choice. This size tank is nice because it is easy to make it look full, but there just isn't enough room to add an ATO unit or skimmer which would make things a lot easier.

I have moved on to something a little bigger: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...107156&st=0

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, may your reefs never bleach. :)

Archived