Innovative Marine Aquariums

100 Gallon Oceanview Reef

reefer21

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man killer set up man. You have some major room to play with. Very cool. I likes.

Thanks, you have a nice setup as well! Them blastos are yummy, are they hard to take care of?

very nice setup, tagging along

Thanks, I'm addicted to macro shots :).

I have been using store bought distilled water for about 3 weeks now and I just can't see myself buying water jugs every other week. Plus it seems like people are looking at me weird for buying 20 jugs of distilled water. I have decided to bite the bullet and I'm going to buy a RO unit, is there any advantages over other brands out there? What's the difference between a RO unit vs. a RODI unit?

102_0468_macro.jpg

102_0469_macro.jpg

102_0485.jpg

An RO unit gets the water 90-96% pure whereas a RODI (di stands for deionized) unit gets the water 99.9% pure.

oh ok I see now. So basically a RODI unit would be the best way to go? Thanks for clearing that up!

Sweet tank.

So do you still like the coralife skimmer? I'm thinkin of getting one.

Have you tried different aquascapes? Maybe get a little more variety in there as far as the height of your rockwork goes. Couple mountain peaks or something. Thats just what I would do.

Keep the pics comin.

Actually it still can overflow...if the return pump stops pumping you still have a good amount of water thats going to go through the o-flow down the drain to the sump...

I get about a 2-3 inch increase of water in my sump when the return pump is shut off in my 20 gallon sump and thats only a 60 gallon tank.

All you do is test the amount of slack you need. If you get a 3 inch increase, keep the volume of water such that the water level is 4 inches lower then the top in the sump.

Wow, looks very clean. I like the way the lighting looks, so crisp or something. I like it a lot.

Thanks for your kind words, I like it a lot too :).

Sweet tank.

So do you still like the coralife skimmer? I'm thinkin of getting one.

Have you tried different aquascapes? Maybe get a little more variety in there as far as the height of your rockwork goes. Couple mountain peaks or something. Thats just what I would do.

Keep the pics comin.

I would recommend this skimmer to anyone who is not willing to spend a fortune on a skimmer. This skimmer works just fine and my water is crystal clear all the time. Honestly, I don't like the rockwork right now, I was thinking about making it look more natural by adding some moutain peaks too. This would give me some more room to put corals on in the future :o.

All you do is test the amount of slack you need. If you get a 3 inch increase, keep the volume of water such that the water level is 4 inches lower then the top in the sump.

sounds interesting, thanks for the great tip!

great skimmer choice, i am getting one myself

What one are you getting, the 65 or 220? Let me know how your skimmer works out for you. So far I like mine much better than my Aqua C.

• 3 weeks later...

i haven’t done an update in a little while, so this is what I currently have in my tank.

Here is the current list:

Fish

1 Yellow Tang

1 Hippo Tang

1 Orange Spotted Blenny

3 Percula Clownfish (1 of them is an Onyx)

5 blue/green Chromis

Inverts

1 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp

various hermits

cerith snails

Also I added some awesome zoos...

102_0506.jpg

• 1 month later...
how about an updated FTS?

Not now, waiting for some growth to occur first :)

Well a lot has happened since I last posted. I got some sandsifting starfish and i switched out one of my VHO whites bulbs for an antinic VHO bulb. Wow, what a difference it makes in the overall apperence. I got some new corals but i keep forgetting to post them :happy:.

I also bit the bug and got some sps corals :D. SHHHHHHHH.... I didn't want to post my most favorite blue zoas, as well as my cherry bells zoas becasue i don't want people beggin for them ;).

101_0595.jpg

101_0603.jpg

101_0597.jpg

I have different colors such as, blue elongated, and pom pom (this one pictured is pink)

101_0599.jpg

Hi Reefer21,

Your tank's looking great.

What size plumbing did you use for your drain and return?

Thanks, the tank is celebrating its 3 month birthday today :D. I'm glad the red slime is going away finally after nearly a month of battling it on and off. As for your question, the return line is 3/4" and the drain line is 1".

Nice!!!!

I want a larger tank...still buttering up the wife-lol

I live in Jackson Ms.. do you live on the Coast???

Who set you up with the aquarium builder you mentioned in Pasc--- Lfs or did

you contact them and plan with them?? Did they ship it or did you have to pic up??

Sorry about all the questions...Im looking into a 100 gal...Ive located around 3 used so far but Im not sure how long a project I want it to be.

Might just buy a newone and take my time etc..

Then also I had a person at LFS Friday offer me a 100 gal drilled with 90 lbs LR

that has cycled for $700.00--local pickup

Decisions decisions... no wait ... that should be money money money--lol

Izzue

Nice!!!!

I want a larger tank...still buttering up the wife-lol

I live in Jackson Ms.. do you live on the Coast???

Who set you up with the aquarium builder you mentioned in Pasc--- Lfs or did

you contact them and plan with them?? Did they ship it or did you have to pic up??

Sorry about all the questions...Im looking into a 100 gal...Ive located around 3 used so far but Im not sure how long a project I want it to be.

Might just buy a newone and take my time etc..

Then also I had a person at LFS Friday offer me a 100 gal drilled with 90 lbs LR

that has cycled for $700.00--local pickup

Decisions decisions... no wait ... that should be money money money--lol

Izzue

Hehe, the first thing that popped into my head was the Pink Floyd song called "Money". I know exactly how you feel, feels like a never ending money pit to me. Got the big tank syndrome, heh? Anyways, I live right outside Pensacola, little town called Pace, but it growing fast. I live about 15-25 minutes from the beach, so to answer your question; I would guess I live on the coast. I got the aquarium threw my LFS, but I'm pretty sure you could call Oceanview Aquariums and get a 100g custom made to your specifications. My LFS picked up the tank at Oceanview Aquarium's shop, which is probably the cheaper route. I then picked up the tank at my LFS. If I were you I would buy a new tank that way you get exactly what you want and you don't have to worry about problems. Heck, I even have a warranty for my tank.

Ocean View Aquarium Products Inc

• 2 years later...

Wow, I haven't been on here in a while. I seem to have forgotten about this thread, b/c I'm in the military. Well the tank is 2 years & 8 months old and at my parent’s house. I haven't done much with it, except add some egg crate to the top to keep the fish from jumping out. I had two fish jump to their death <_<. My dad killed all my other fish & corals (except my sixline) by adding pressure treated wood under the stand causing it to leach into the tank. It seems like my sixline is invincible :).

Today the tank is doing great. I don't have any new pics of the tank currently, but will get some soon. I have a new camera to test out :D.

Archived