Coral Vue Hydros

Tailspot Blenny

steelhealr

I agree with you totally. I think the breathing is a symptom of the weightloss or what caused it. Perhaps, similar to green mandarins, they need a lot of grazing, or, perhaps, it IS some parasite. Well...didn't see him yesterday. I retested my water and nitrates are still at zero. It is probably the best water conditions I've kept since startup and this I attribute to the massive growth of my chaeto in the back fuge. If I lose my blenny, which seems sad and likely, I will probably put a hold on any additions to my tank for now. Thanks for your patience and comments. Even after one year and tons of care, posts, etc, it's still tough to take a hit. SH

Haven't seen him in days.....I"m sure he's gone. Stupid how one takes it so personally. That's it for me with fish for now. I have my sixline, clown, banggai and yashia haze. SH

Haven't seen him in days.....I"m sure he's gone. Stupid how one takes it so personally. SH
Hardly stupid. I'm always taken aback when people are casual about losing a fish (and I don't even want to talk about my reaction when people intentionally kill them). We put a lot of thought and care into creating these little environments, hoping that the inhabitants will be comfortable and healthy (ok, it's al so we can spy on them, but still), then we worry about their diets and behavior and so forth. It's only natural that we feel bad when something goes wrong and, despite our best efforts, one of them doesn't thrive.

That said, you've done really well with this system, and you shouldn't be too hard on yourself about this. I really wouldn't be surprised to learn that your tailspot had a parasite when you got it.

NaughtyCashew

My tailspot did the exact same thing. Although instead of parasites I am blaming the left-handed hermits, the shrimp/goby combo (he liked their general area a little too much) or my rbta.

Round up the usual suspects!

The tailspot in our nano display is doing fabulously; there's little algae but it's enough to graze, and he gets Cyclopeeze (which the pipefish eats as well), along with gobs of mysis (for the LPS). It's been....a month or so.

My guy was eating too...and thanks fishwife. I'm not obsessive compulsive here, but, I DO try and do the right thing. RIP:

nano141.jpg

SH

Well, gone but not forgotten. I liked this fish and your pic so much that I printed out a copy the first time you posted it, and it's been hanging on my bookcase ever since:

dscn4691small2we.jpg

I'm sure sorry about your loss.

--Diane

Bummer about the blenny... I had been considering one, but went with a midas blenny instead. One of the reasons was that I had concerns about being able to keep the tailspot fed. ..esp as you began to post that you were having problems.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by icenine
  • 11 months later...

I want to revive this thread from the dead...

I just ordered a pair of tailspots from LiveAquaria, they arrive tomorrow.

I'm putting them in a 40g breeder tank, which all rock and livestock was moved over from my 14 month old 32g m-tank. Parameters check out, though the tank is pretty clean since it's BB and i have two tunze 9002 nano skimmers running at full steam.

I've neglected to clean my glass for a few weeks now (except front) in preparation for a blenny ;) I only have about 3 turbo snails, 4 cerith snails, and 4 scarlet hermits. So there should be plenty of algae to go around.

I will post pictures soon!

I can't get a picture of my pair together, but they're still hanging out in the same rock. You can see they're still pretty stressed from the shipping by the white spots, hopefully they'll fade. I'll document how long it takes for the spots to fade:

416284982_5e3ceef4c3.jpg

416284849_e24046aa30.jpg

416285316_520c017c5d.jpg

white spots:

416285214_e41efe036d.jpg

• 4 months later...

hey kinetic any updates on your blennies?

i just picked up a tailspot from the lfs on saturday... cute little guy, but still stressed and displaying those white spots.

i havent gotten him to eat yet, but he seems to be picking at algae on the rocks.

scarf_ace1981

maybe more info about their diet will help keep these guys in captivity longer

too bad they don't seem to last long. beautiful fish

Edited by scarf_ace1981

I lost one of the pair, and now I think I've lost the other.

The second one lasted a long time, it was grazing off the rocks and poopin a lot... but he lost the plumpness and I could start seeing "rib cage". His stomach was fat though, but he was lacking something.

He would not eat anything other than graze the rocks. I'm thinking they need a little meaty foods as well, or some vitamin enriched something or another.

He lasted 5 months. I'm still not sure if he's totally lost, I just haven't seen him in a day or two.

that sucks... i'm hoping i'll have better luck with mine. he's definitely a finicky eater but i've only had him for 3 days so he's still adjusting.

keep us updated if you find him!

• 5 months later...

Reviving the thread once again...

I also have a Tail Spot Blenny and have had him for about a month and a half now. It is doing great so far, very curious, active, and plump. I haven't seen any signs of losing weight or wasting away.

As far as feeding goes it is always grazing on algae and pods. I only supplement this by feeding frozen mysis shrimp once or twice a week, just got some nori so I will start feeding this once or twice a week as well.

If anybody else has any updates on Tail Spots they currently have or have had please go ahead and update ;)

Include your feeding regiment also so maybe we can find out what seems to be working best.

My Tailspot...my girlfriend named her Lily

2007_12240013.jpg

whoa what a good time to revive this thread! I wanted to get one of these little buggers for my first addition (fish wise) to my AP24 is this a good first fish? Also i would like to eventually get a clownfish, or mated pair of clownfish are the compatible or is that a major no no? thanks for your help!

My first fish in my AP24 was a Tail Spot, it is currently the only fish I have in there.

Compatibility wise it will do fine with clownfish as long as you add the more peaceful blenny first. Here is a link to LiveAquaria's compatibility chart...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm

Although the Tail Spot Blenny is a fun and curious fish, people on here have had trouble keeping them for longer than about 5 months it seems. Just something to keep in mind before you purchase one ;)

I had one for a couple months in my Aquapod, grazed off algea mostly on the glass but a little on the rocks but then decided to start spitting sand all over my corals. Threw his little butt in my 10 gallon instead and he leapt through the eggcrate in despair. He also ate mysis and flake once my clown goby taught him it was food.

rayraynlindy

Yeah, I have been lookin at one of the tailspots for about a year now but am up in arms because no one can seem to tell me wether or not they eat SPS. I got a black combtooth blenny recently and had to fish him out of my tank because he was devouring any SPS he came in contact with. BLAH! It sux cuz I love the blennies that perch in rocks and stuff but I can't find one that doesn't eat SPS, other than the midas and some of the more aggressive venemous ones. DOes anyone here have actual experience with a tailspot and SPS?

My tailspot picks at everything, acropora included from time to time. Not enough that I worry about the coral.

He is always fat from finding whatever he finds, also eats the small Hikari pellets & Rod's food.

rayraynlindy

thanx for the info psam i think i will just have to wait on these guys then. i just hate to see my corals eaten by anything. darnit i really liked them :(

whoa what a good time to revive this thread! I wanted to get one of these little buggers for my first addition (fish wise) to my AP24 is this a good first fish? Also i would like to eventually get a clownfish, or mated pair of clownfish are the compatible or is that a major no no? thanks for your help!

wsamsky, read the whole thread and I think you'll decide for yourself that they're not a good first fish. Perhaps not a good fish at all. I agree that they're totally charming but they are difficult to keep in captivity.

xADUBx--didn't this thread express concern about meaty items in tsb diets?

psam--how long have you had yours?

--Diane